Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2009 2.5X EJ253 Manual
2,802 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, I generally like the interior of my 2009. I never have found common ground with those who complain it looks too plasticy or cheap. But I have found one particular interior trim piece that to me feels too cheapo-- the trim panels on the two front pillars (windshield). I was chasing down a resonating buzz rattle coming from the dash area where it meets the passenger side front pillar trim panel. I removed the trim panel to investigate (not an easy task BTW). What a flimsy piece. Its only held on securely by one snap clip located about in the middle, then there is a 2nd loose fitting snap tie/clip that I don't even see why they used it as it does not by design secure the panel snuggly at the top end it allows about 1 inch of play once you pull the panel loose at top. The panel is only held snug at the top by form fit which relies on the piece having the right molded form to grip the headliner piece that it snugs up to. Mine passenger side one, apparently, hid behind the desk the day they handed out the optimum molded form fit, because is doesn't have quite the same snug fitting bend as the driver side because (it did this before removal, since new) it doesn't fit to the headliner as well as the driver side one does.

I think I stopped the buzz rattle,though. It was the trim panel resonating against the windshield I think. I got it secured a little better there at the bottom. For now. I guess if it starts again,I'll jam some chewed bubble gum between the offending surfaces. Wonder what color gum would look best with the platinum gray interior plastic color? :icon_wink:

·
Registered
none none
8,844 Posts
Aren't there curtain airbags that deploy in that general area? I feel this is the reason for most A pillar trims being of poor fit. Even on the SG gen, although they were held on well, if removed, the clips generally break and no longer fit neatly (and a whole new A pillar trim must be purchased), I've had many of them broken due to windshield installs.

·
Registered
2014 2.0XT CVT
3,069 Posts
I'd bring it to the local dealership and make them fix it. If it resonates that bad then they should do something about it, just make sure you go with them in the car when they "try to hear the noise" because it seems half the time the service guys are deaf or close to it.

·
Registered
2009 2.5X EJ253 Manual
2,802 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Aren't there curtain airbags that deploy in that general area? I feel this is the reason for most A pillar trims being of poor fit. Even on the SG gen, although they were held on well, if removed, the clips generally break and no longer fit neatly (and a whole new A pillar trim must be purchased), I've had many of them broken due to windshield installs.
The was wiring marked for the side curtain airbags running through the windshield side pillar.

·
Registered
09 Forester
94 Posts
I have had mine to the dealer twice... first time they replaced it, second time they said... it is typical... try some double sided tape or foam.

·
Registered
09 Forester
94 Posts
have had mine replaced once, then told by the dealer that it was in correctly and there was nothing they could do to fix it... i will be trying some foam, or something in there soon to stop the rattle.

UPDATE - SORRY LOGIN PROBLEM DUPLICATE POST.

·
Registered
09 Forester
94 Posts
Ok so i tried to solve the problem with some double sided tape, and no luck.... now it seems to be worse and almost falling off...

Guess i will be on my way back to the dealer this week.... Anyone else having this problem with the 09 Pillar?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts