Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2009 Forester
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
The front wipers were on and under a foot of snow and before I could turn them off, the driver side stopped working. No weird noises or anything unusual. I tried repositioning it, with no luck.

Just wondered if I could try something before I took it to the mechanic. I have the all-weather package and read the manual, which said it might need to reset, but I turned it off and tried again later, but no luck.

P.S. All-wheel drive worked great in said foot of snow:woohoo:

·
Registered
2009 Forester XT Limited
1,545 Posts
Unusual. Not sure if they are on separate motors (independent) or connected by linkage. If it the later, have you checked to see if the spindle it rotating, maybe you stripped the arm splines. It maybe a safety mechanism (under heavy load) so as to not burn out the motor. Not really sure though.

·
Registered
2009 Forester
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
All fuses ok...wiper nut a bit loose

All the fuses checked out but the blade was a bit loose. I tightened it a bit and seems ok now. Should the driver blade be slightly under passenger blade when it is at 'rest'?

I just don't want to mess anything up but hate to take it in for something simple.

Thanks for helping the newbie out.

·
Registered
2009 2.0 D XC
65 Posts
I have just logged in to pick some brains about the exact same thing
4hrs ago I stopped gently going downhill and the whole roof load of snow slid forward onto the wipers in mid stroke. The n/s wiper was forced back to "park" and then showed no movement. Flicked off the plastic cap over the spindle (slot for screwdriver on the short "diagonal" on the bottom edge of the arm. the cap comes out on the line of the spindle and not on the plane of the slot so its a twist rather than a lever)
Turning on the wipers showed the spindle rotating. Tightened the nut (14mm) with the wipers in the parked position and all ok.
My query was "is the arm splined or is it a taper fit. I stopped turning the nut after 1 turn - I would guess about 5 ft lbs and was concerned that any more would split the taper socket if the arm had a plastic insert."

Also does anyone know if the n/s wiper blade sits parallel with the screen heating elements. I could only get all the blade "heated" if it sits diagonally across the heated area and I'm wondering if the arm is bent. I happily wipes at 70mph so that would indicate its ok?

Peter K

·
Registered
2009 Forester XT Limited
1,545 Posts
Should the driver blade be slightly under passenger blade when it is at 'rest'?
Probably the wiper arm spline is off a tooth or 2 from the control spline. You can adjust it by lostening the nut again and moving it up a tooth or 2. That should fix your problem. Actually you can remove it and check the teeth on the arm to make sure they weren't stripped. If so take it in and the dealer will replace it free of charge.

Mine sits near the top of the heating strip.
Same here!

·
Registered
09 XT
448 Posts
there is only one wiper motor for the front so if one side is moving its not an electrical issue.

Take the arm off do a swipe and see if the stud is moving... if it is then you need to re-tighten the nut- I think our arms are taper fit and do not actually have notches/splines on the stud, just the tighter you turn the tighter the arm is on the stud.

if the stud is not moving, then the linkage is likely popped off or broken under the plastic cowl

·
Registered
2010 Forester
25 Posts
there is only one wiper motor for the front so if one side is moving its not an electrical issue.

Take the arm off do a swipe and see if the stud is moving... if it is then you need to re-tighten the nut- I think our arms are taper fit and do not actually have notches/splines on the stud, just the tighter you turn the tighter the arm is on the stud.

if the stud is not moving, then the linkage is likely popped off or broken under the plastic cowl
So is it possible to strip an arm if there are no splines/notches?

·
Registered
09 XT
448 Posts
this was bugging me all day, so I just went and checked... 14mm as mentioned

there are splines on the stud and the arm, very small, shallow, splines- infinite adjustments and probably quite easy to strip with some weight on the blades.

·
Registered
2009 Forester XT Limited
1,545 Posts
there are splines on the stud and the arm, very small, shallow, splines- infinite adjustments and probably quite easy to strip with some weight on the blades.
As I said............I would think, not checking it myself, that the splines on the arm are probably a softer metal or plastic as compared to the control spindle, used as a safety feature to break away instead of burning out the motor. Hopefully someone (designer) was thinking like that and its not just my thoughts.

Thanks for checking Bettsyboy!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts