Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2016 Subaru Crosstrek Ltd
697 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The other night, I was driving to NY to stop by my parents for a day or two, and a mile before I got there, my 2009 Forester XT threw a solid Check Engine Light and the Cruise Control light is blinking and the Stability Control light is lit up as well.

So, looks like I am stuck here in NY for a few days. I am dropping it off at Subaru in the morning and hoping they don't try to take the easy way out and just blame the SPT Catback that has been on there for nearly two years and 20,500 miles now.

I drove most of the way to NY with the cruise control on. I don't understand what is wrong, and I don't have the time to poke around (I am here for a bunch of doctor appointments). The car seems to be running fine. One second the car was just cruising along at 65 with the cruise control on, and the next thing I know the CC shuts off and a giant Check Engine light is on, the stability control is disabled, and the CC light is blinking. Very weird.

·
Registered
09 forester A/T
136 Posts
hey, this happend to me too when i had my fuel tank close to empty. after the empty light turned on the cc started blinking and engine check stability control light turned on. when i filled it with gas all is gone.. hope you get yours figured out. i know there is a thread on this try to search "blinking cruise control."

·
Registered
2009 Forester XT Limited
1,525 Posts
Same thing happened to me at 2K. Called roadside assistance and they said it was safe to drive, since the check engine was solid and not flashing, so I did. Took to the dealer and they said it could have been set off by a loose gas cap....??? Mine never is. They didn't get a code or anything so they reset the ECU and off I went. No peoblems since and 12K now. If you drive it Mike and run 20 - 25 miles it will reset itself after 3 cycles (turn the Foz on and off. after each run). At least I think that (20-25) was what service told me.

·
BLUE WASABI, (#2 Info Provider)
2008 SG Model D
9,050 Posts
The other night, I was driving to NY to stop by my parents for a day or two, and a mile before I got there, my 2009 Forester XT threw a solid Check Engine Light and the Cruise Control light is blinking and the Stability Control light is lit up as well.

So, looks like I am stuck here in NY for a few days. I am dropping it off at Subaru in the morning and hoping they don't try to take the easy way out and just blame the SPT Catback that has been on there for nearly two years and 20,500 miles now.

I drove most of the way to NY with the cruise control on. I don't understand what is wrong, and I don't have the time to poke around (I am here for a bunch of doctor appointments). The car seems to be running fine. One second the car was just cruising along at 65 with the cruise control on, and the next thing I know the CC shuts off and a giant Check Engine light is on, the stability control is disabled, and the CC light is blinking. Very weird.

The CC disabled and flashing is standard procedure on any forester when a CEL code is thrown.

Safest thing to do is hit up an Autozone or something similar, grab the code, and look it up online. If you want to clear the CEL and get your CC back, just remove the ground on battery, pump the brake pedal to clear the capacitors for 30 seconds, and then reattach. That resets your ECU and, IIRC, clears the code.

·
Registered
697 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I dropped it off at Subaru at 7:30 this morning. I haven't heard anything back yet. If anything, at least it'll get an oil change while it's there. What's the going rate for just an air filter? They wanted $50 to do it, but I can drop a new air filter in myself in less than 5 minutes.

·
Registered
none none
8,844 Posts
I dropped it off at Subaru at 7:30 this morning. I haven't heard anything back yet. If anything, at least it'll get an oil change while it's there. What's the going rate for just an air filter? They wanted $50 to do it, but I can drop a new air filter in myself in less than 5 minutes.
Purolator air filters are around 8-12$, even a K&N is only about 40$.

Flashing cruise and solid CEL just means a code is set. Next time just bring it to a chain autoparts type store and they'll read it for free and give you what code its throwing. It could be anything from a loose gas cap to cam/crank position.

·
Registered
697 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Purolator air filters are around 8-12$, even a K&N is only about 40$.

Flashing cruise and solid CEL just means a code is set. Next time just bring it to a chain autoparts type store and they'll read it for free and give you what code its throwing. It could be anything from a loose gas cap to cam/crank position.
I did it for a peace of mind. Where I am in PA, it's 40 miles to the nearest Subaru dealership. Heck it's nearly a 30 minute drive into town. :raspberry:

·
Registered
697 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
According to service rep at Subaru, my vehicle is ready for pick up. I got someone heading there now to pick it up. I don't know what is wrong was wrong with it, but it came out to a total of ~ $32 for the oil change "I had done while they looked at it.

I guess I panicked because my last Subaru (2005 Legacy GT Limited 5EAT) had significant engine issues, and at one point was out of commission for three months (from late May to early August) -> that summer sucked because I lived between rental cars, and was very ill though that summer and fall that year.

·
Premium Member
2017 VW Golf SportWagen 5MT
10,784 Posts
Did you fill up at a gas station you don't usually frequent?

Stan

·
Registered
2009 Forester XT Limited
376 Posts
According to service rep at Subaru, my vehicle is ready for pick up. I got someone heading there now to pick it up. I don't know what is wrong was wrong with it, but it came out to a total of ~ $32 for the oil change "I had done while they looked at it.

I guess I panicked because my last Subaru (2005 Legacy GT Limited 5EAT) had significant engine issues, and at one point was out of commission for three months (from late May to early August) -> that summer sucked because I lived between rental cars, and was very ill though that summer and fall that year.
I hope you feel better and yes, for those of us who have experienced catastrophic engine failure for no apparent reason, panic is a learned response, lol.

·
Registered
697 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Code P1443. Vent control valve was dirty, they cleaned it, and the code was reset. I wonder what the heck a "Vent control valve" is, and how it got "dirty." Oh well...

·
Registered
17 Forester Premium
106 Posts
Code P1443. Vent control valve was dirty, they cleaned it, and the code was reset. I wonder what the heck a "Vent control valve" is, and how it got "dirty." Oh well...
I had this problem in my previous car (Nissan Maxima). Vent control valve is attached to evaporative canister (a small box by the gas tank) and opens up to transfer evaporations from fuel tank to be burned inside the engine.

The usual cause of its failure is topping off the gas tank (after the fuel pump shuts off at the gas station). However my nissan was 10 years old when it happen.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts