Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
2002 WRX
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone had issues with the stock Yokohamas on the newer Foresters? My girlfriend's 09 has had four blowouts in the past year and a half.:puke: Has anyone used a slightly larger tire? We were looking at the General Altimax's, their ratings on Tire Rack are pretty good.

Any suggestions?

·
Registered
2009 Forester X Premium
3,091 Posts
No real problems with mine, how is she blowing them out?

·
Premium Member
2015 Highlander AWD XLE 6AT
4,255 Posts
10K miles on the OEM Yoko tires, including a 6K trip out West through the Rockies. No problems.

HTH,
Jim / crewzer

·
Registered
2002 WRX
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I can't explain it, they develop bubbles and wind up blowing out. The fourth tire was a nail so obviously it wasn't the tires fault, but still, three tires blowing out in such a short period of time has made me wonder.

·
Registered
2004 Forester
71 Posts
Bubbles are usually formed from someone hitting the kerbside or going through potholes at high speeds.

No no offence, but this is a woman driver.... she does not do these things?

(Only say this as my mum did it once - and yeah, BIG Bubbles showed up a day later....)

Hope that helps.

·
Registered
2002 WRX
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I figured it was potholes because of the area she lives, but I know she doesn't jump the curb since I could never see rash on the wheels or sidewalls from one.

·
Registered
2009 Forester X Premium
3,091 Posts
Bubbles are usually formed from someone hitting the kerbside or going through potholes at high speeds.

No no offence, but this is a woman driver.... she does not do these things?

(Only say this as my mum did it once - and yeah, BIG Bubbles showed up a day later....)

Hope that helps.
:biggrin: This is gonna make the nice girl grouchy .. lol
Nice first post Sean, welcome to the group.

FWIW My wifes hard on her car also .. what size tire were you thinking about putting on there?

·
Registered
2009 Forester 2.5x
702 Posts
Blowouts are rare with modern tires. Been rare for decades. What's going on here? Wonder if the driver is careless about banging the sidewall against something. BTW, did she file a warranty claim w/ yokohama? The oem tires all have a warranty. How did that work out for her?
Steve
09 2.5X AT

·
Registered
2002 WRX
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
She's contacting Yokohama about the problem, I hope she gets a response. There's no curbage on her wheels so I know she isn't banging the car all over the place. The excuse has been that it's a lower profile tire, so you're going to have to deal with it.

·
Registered
2010 Forester Diesel
62 Posts
Three blowouts on a set of new Yokohama tires, just doesnt "happen" for no reason. It must be caused by inproper tire pressure, or some type of abuse to the tire.

My advice to her, would be: Adjust your tire pressure, slow down – and stop hitting stuff!
:evilatyou:

·
Registered
2004 Forester
71 Posts
:biggrin: This is gonna make the nice girl grouchy .. lol
Nice first post Sean, welcome to the group.

FWIW My wifes hard on her car also .. what size tire were you thinking about putting on there?

Thanks for the welcome, I'll make a post in the "New Members" Section :Banane17:

·
Premium Member
2015 Highlander AWD XLE 6AT
4,255 Posts
...they develop bubbles and wind up blowing out... The excuse has been that it's a lower profile tire, so you're going to have to deal with it.
I don't buy that line. :crazy: By extension, it means that the 205/55R16 tires on my son's 96 Legacy GT (>200K miles on car) should be bubbling out like a simmering stew, and that the 215/45R17 tires on my brother's 06 Legacy GT (~80K miles on car) should be bubbling out like hot lava.

Other than normal wear and a curb-surfing / pot-hole incident or two, neither are experiencing any unusual tire quality issues.

HTH,
Jim / crewzer

·
Registered
2002 WRX
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for the input guys. Now for my next question...is it possible to put on a slightly larger tire without throwing off the speedo too much?

·
Registered
2009 Forester 2.5x
702 Posts
Thanks for the input guys. Now for my next question...is it possible to put on a slightly larger tire without throwing off the speedo too much?
I didn't notice her tire size mentioned (?). Is she running 215-65's or....?
Steve
09 2.5X AT

·
Registered
2016 Outback and WRX CVT
2,551 Posts
RE: Yokohama's excuse of "low profile" being the cause -
I don't buy that line. :crazy: By extension, it means that the 205/55R16 tires on my son's 96 Legacy GT (>200K miles on car) should be bubbling out like a simmering stew, and that the 215/45R17 tires on my brother's 06 Legacy GT (~80K miles on car) should be bubbling out like hot lava.
^ I'm definitely not buying that, as well.

225/40/18 is a common tire size for many upgraded BL/BP Legacys, as is 245/35/18. With data spanning multiple brands and multiple tire genres, there are no such routine blow-outs or bubbling based solely on "low profile."

If "low profile" - as defined by that of either of the sizing which was standard on the '09s (which, truly, isn't "low profile" by modern standards) - is the problem, mixed with daily driving on pockmarked roads, then both my wife and I should be blowing out, every single day.

I don't buy that for a second, Felginator - press Yokohama for more!

Tire size calculator:

http://www.miata.net/garage/tirecalc.html

:smile:

·
Registered
2009 Forester XT 4EAT
2,265 Posts
RE: Yokohama's excuse of "low profile" being the cause -

^ I'm definitely not buying that, as well.

225/40/18 is a common tire size for many upgraded BL/BP Legacys, as is 245/35/18. With data spanning multiple brands and multiple tire genres, there are no such routine blow-outs or bubbling based solely on "low profile."

If "low profile" - as defined by that of either of the sizing which was standard on the '09s (which, truly, isn't "low profile" by modern standards) - is the problem, mixed with daily driving on pockmarked roads, then both my wife and I should be blowing out, every single day.

I don't buy that for a second, Felginator - press Yokohama for more!

Tire size calculator:

Tire size calculator

:smile:
FWIW, Back in the day (about 1988 I had a Dodge Shelby Charger Turbo with Good Year 205 50 VR 15 tires on it.) I had three "Gatorbacks" develop the sidewall bubbles. All three times Good Year blamed on potholes or curbing causing the rubber and sidewall belts to seperate. Each time they wanted me to purchase a new tire (as opposed to warranty). I know that for two years, Good Year was the ONLY manufacturer of that size tire and once Michelin and others started making that size, (and I switched brands) I never had that problem again. Coincidentally I have NEVER purchased another set of Good Year tires since that time.
Try another brand of tire (and remind the Yoko rep you're talking with) that you are posting your results on here for all to see.

·
Registered
2002 WRX
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks for all of the input everyone! I think when she can swing it she is going to change over to the Generals. I have been driving in the area she lives in for over a year and have never had a flat. I've also hit some of the nasty spots and even bent a wheel because of it, but never had a tire bubble and blow. The tires I had on my WRX were just as "low-profile" too.

TSi, thanks for that calculator, very handy! In regards to your name, does TSi refer to a Chrysler Conquest or a Talon? I used to have a few Conquests back in the day.

·
Registered
2016 Outback and WRX CVT
2,551 Posts
^ When I was in high-school, just about ready for my license, my neighbor put his rather nicely modded (I don't know what all's in it, it was beyond my then very little knowhow, but I know it was wicked fast, and sounded wicked good :smile:) Conquest up for sale. :frown: I had my eyes on that car.

But back to the question :redface: - the "TSi" is for the project that's still in my garage, a '95 Talon TSi. I've been a DSMer since I could drive, when my parents spoiled me with a new-off-the-lot '92 Eclipse GS DOHC (5MT). My father actually wanted to get me the turbo, but we couldn't afford the insurance.... My '05 Legacy 2.5GT (5MT) has been my daily driver since May of 2005, and ironically eats up my modest modding budget, while the Talon has sat as-is (nothing crazy, it's actually a very mild daily-driven setup, with a fully supported EvoIII 16G @18 PSI, for a very modest 300 wHP), for quite some time now.

Similarly, the "WRX" part is left-over from my wife's immediate-previous car, an '05 WRX 4EAT, which went off-lease this March, and was replaced by a '09 FXT.

We both came to Subarus back in '05, searching for fun yet safe cars to start our family with - Sara was then about a month pregnant with Anna. :smile:

·
Registered
2009 Forester 2.5x
702 Posts
Try another brand of tire (and remind the Yoko rep you're talking with) that you are posting your results on here for all to see.
And tell the rep about the detailed letter you are considering sending to SOA if you don't receive any compensation. Yoko wants to sell tires to subaru, they probably don't want SOA receiving a really negative complaint about a set of oem's they put on a forester. Good luck,
Steve
09 2.5X AT (Bridgestone Duelers...ho hum)

1 - 20 of 24 Posts