Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2009 Forester
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I tested my cold tire pressure, car sat outside overnight, temperature 52 degrees. The pressure on all four (analog gauge) was 37 psi. I lowered the pressure to what the sticker says - 32psi front / 30psi rear. I drive for two weeks like this. I will admit that I never checked the tire pressure on it since I bought it new this past May.

I brought the Forester in for the first tire rotation and I get a checklist back and they indicate all four tires are set to 35psi.

These are the 225/55/R17 OEM Geolanders.

What should I keep the tire pressure at?

Also for all of you who drive in the snow areas, are the Geolanders a decent tire? The reason why I purchased an AWD vehicle was because I did not want to do the snow tire changeover any more.

·
Fast & Dirty
2009 Forester XT 4 speed auto
4,050 Posts
Hi.

Tire pressure can be debated for days with no right or wrong answer. Yes the door sticker says 32/30. 3 psi ain't making a big difference. I set mine to 34 all around with a basic tire presure gauge. Do not loose sleep over it.

As for the Geo's, I live in a snow and ice area. The stock tires are not great for snow and ice. Sorry. I love mu Subie AWD but it all comes done to traction. I now have studded W409s for the winter and AT/S tires for the other 8 months. I have a young family and value their safety and that is why I bought the studded. I can now avoid the others who drive in my weather with all seasons.

Cheers

·
Registered
03X MT
847 Posts
Just make sure you adjust/check pressure as the temps change. I was pressured up for Summer 33/30 and last week as our temps have gone down to below freezing I found my pressures at 26/22.

And don't let the "quick lube" places adjust your pressure after coming in just off the street. Pressures are quoted as "cold"

·
Super Moderator
2007 Forester Sports XT 4EAT
35,956 Posts
I tested my cold tire pressure, car sat outside overnight, temperature 52 degrees. The pressure on all four (analog gauge) was 37 psi. I lowered the pressure to what the sticker says - 32psi front / 30psi rear. I drive for two weeks like this. I will admit that I never checked the tire pressure on it since I bought it new this past May.

I brought the Forester in for the first tire rotation and I get a checklist back and they indicate all four tires are set to 35psi.

These are the 225/55/R17 OEM Geolanders.

What should I keep the tire pressure at?

Also for all of you who drive in the snow areas, are the Geolanders a decent tire? The reason why I purchased an AWD vehicle was because I did not want to do the snow tire changeover any more.
The perfect tire pressure for your tires will take a bit of trial & error, or you can use what's on the door sticker.
I'm running Toyo Proxes 4 tires & after trying different pressure combinations, I've settles on 36F/34R.

Tires will loose air, so they need to be checked "cold" weekly, if you want to get the optimal tire life & performance. I have a bicycle tire pump that I use to touch up the tire pressure.

Factory/OEM tires may have changes over the years, but the Geolanders that came on my '03 were crap! Noisey & would follow the ruts in the road. I pulled them off at 6K miles. I got lucky with the '07 FSXT. With 21K miles, the factory/OEM tires were already worn out & had to be replaced by the dealership. :wink:

As for winter tires. I have a set of studded Nokian Hakkapeliitta 4 tires on a set of winter wheels.

Bobby...

·
Premium Member
2015 Highlander AWD XLE 6AT
4,259 Posts
I'm using 34F/32R. The measurement is taken outside in ambient conditions and not in my attached garage, which, although not heated, is typically ~30 F warmer than outside during the winter.

This is an especially important time of year (fall and winter) during which to keep an eye on tire pressure. Not only do tires naturally lose air pressure, but falling ambient temperature causes further loss. Figure on a ~1 psi loss for every 10 F drop in ambient temp.

HTH,
Jim / crewzer

1 - 6 of 6 Posts