Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1041 - 1060 of 1766 Posts

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
And the front end in the brochure photos matches the one on the magazine cover. We're looking at the new Forester front, rear and profile. So please, no more denial or posting fanciful sketches of how you'd like it to look, that's it.

·
Premium Member
635 Posts
I think it's really 3.3" over the actual roof of an SF or SG. Those are 65.0" at the roof rails while the new Forester is 65.94" at the roofline with no rails. I suppose this means that roof racks will be optional or maybe just removable like on the new Impreza.

SF > SG > SH?
L 175.6" 176.6" 179.53"

W 68.3” 68.3” 70.08”

H 65” 65” 65.94”
That 3" of actual roof can do ALOT to change the "look" of the vehicle.

Ive said it before - dimensions "help" but dont rally expalin the "visual feel" of the vehicle.

My Gen1 4Runner is actually SMALLER overall than dad's 240 wagon, but LOOKS huge becuause its lifted (1" suspension + 2" due to tire 27">>31").

I had heard somewhere that the new Forester will be at the Philly Auto sho (Feb) so I guess I'll see it then.

·
Registered
747 Posts
More like the third option: de-evolution.
Hmmmm, wouldn't that be returning to SF looks, then? I don't think that applies here.

It's evolution, no matter how you slice it. Good or bad? That's subjective.

I'm anxious to see what they come up with, but I am not expecting it will be anything I'll be interested in. I'm glad I have my SG. (Of course, this coming from a guy that's going out of his way to make his SG look as much like a GD as he can... :biggrin: )

·
Registered
135 Posts
... let's not worry about fractions but it looks like the 09 (insert sarcasm) is an incredible 3" longer,2" wider and 4" taller than an 08. as someone mentioned before the shape of body panels and beltlines can have impact on how the size is perceived. and if you look at those dimension differences on a ruler...
does it still look huge?
As others have already pointed out, depending on your perspective, yeah, it can look huge. The leaked measurements would place the '09 almost identically in size to the original Lexus RX300 - which defined the Mid-Sized crossover category.

Bear in mind that many people purchased the Forester specifically because it was smaller than the other "small" SUV's (and could be easily made to be a sportwagon and not really be an SUV at all). Unfortunately for Subaru, if it comes down to a direct comparison between a slew of identically sized, generic cute-utes, why would anyone pick the Forester? (rhetorical question... but SOA has to be thanking their lucky stars - pun intended - for the Consumer Reports rankings).

I actually like the looks of what I have seen so far. If it can be made to look and perform more like a sportwagon as the current model can, then great. If it has gained 300-400lbs and has more of the character of a true SUV (both very likely), then this is no longer the vehicle for me.

·
Registered
8,528 Posts
nice. where did you find those? i wonder whose carview page it's from.

and i wonder who could get ahold of this (same as above):

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
Wow, they really are aiming at replacing the Tribeca with this, huh? At least, that's how it would appear.

Well, so long as it has that hood scoop (and accompanying turbo set-up), I'm all for it! My wife has expressed minor interest in replacing her LGT with a Tribeca. This may actually be a viable option.
No man, the new Forester is 10" shorter than the 2008 Tribeca and doesn't have third row seating. It's just a Forester, not a Tribeca or Exiga.

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
The more I look at it the more I think they used the BMW X3 as a target. It's not in the same price class of course but check the BMW specs:
http://www.bmwusa.com/vehicles/X3/30si/techdata.htm

It's 179.9" long vs. 179.53" on the Forester and 66" tall vs. 65.94" on the Subaru.

Sure hope the Forester XT isn't 4012 pounds like the BMW though.

Subaru is using the silver colored car in the brochure the way BMW always does. Now look at the gallery for the X3:
http://www.bmwusa.com/vehicles/X3/30si/gallery.htm

Look at the use of black under the front bumper and the slot under the grill. (Wonder how that would have looked under the flying vagina grill?) Also check the slight up kick of the rear quarter window on both vehicles.

The brochure cover says "Touring Freedom", I think they've benchmarked the X3 and are positioning the Forester as an economical alternative to it.

·
Premium Member
2,936 Posts
Wow, they really are aiming at replacing the Tribeca with this, huh? At least, that's how it would appear.

Well, so long as it has that hood scoop (and accompanying turbo set-up), I'm all for it! My wife has expressed minor interest in replacing her LGT with a Tribeca. This may actually be a viable option.
Looks like it does have a hood scoop

·
Registered
8 Posts
Had I not just recently bought the new impreza I'd go after this now that we have all the pictures.A little bigger (I've owned a 2000 and my wife has the 2005 Forester) is good with an emphasis on little .This will make the back seat better for comfort with some added leg room.The new impreza is an improvement over the old one in this regard.

I really like the new impreza styling (don't laugh)and agree the interior has style but could have better materials.Hopefully this will be the case with the Forester.Closer to the Trebeca would be good in terms of quality.Of course the Forester needs to keep the great drive and handling in winter conditions especially.

This will be a winner.At my dealership they can't keep the impreza in stock despite all the put downs by long standing subaru fans.It's the drive that really counts.

·
Registered
8 Posts
When you look at the close up shot and see the way the door looks ( as is the case with the new impreza) you really do get the BMW look.I agree this may well be the poor man's X-3.

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
Someone is really screwing with us. Why take pictures of the brochure at such a weird angle? Why not just scan the images? Or in the absence of a scanner, position the camera directly over the page... such teases. :N_poke:

That said, this does give a much better view of the front end, and I think I like what I see. As long as you don't expect a Forester to be the most attractive car ever (and who in their right mind would), this is definitely a decent looking ride.

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
Someone is really screwing with us. Why take pictures of the brochure at such a weird angle? Why not just scan the images? Or in the absence of a scanner, position the camera directly over the page... such teases. :N_poke:

That said, this does give a much better view of the front end, and I think I like what I see. As long as you don't expect a Forester to be the most attractive car ever (and who in their right mind would), this is definitely a decent looking ride.
I don't think they are screwing with us just trying to let the cat out of the bag while protecting their source. That brochure has to be restricted until the official release date in Japan later this month. So the poster uses his very first post to give us a little bit of what we want so we won't go crazy but probably to conceal his regular screen name and protect the person that slipped it to him.

I just say thanks and how does it weigh?

1041 - 1060 of 1766 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.
About this Discussion
1.8K Replies
239 Participants
pleiad7
Subaru Forester Owners Forum
We’re the best Subaru Forester Owners Forum to talk about the best years of the Subaru Forester, modifications and reliability history of the Subaru Forester.
Full Forum Listing