Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2009 Forester 2.5 Limited
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone! Just purchased our new 2009 Forester 2.5 Limited in Spark Silver that already has factory rails and absolutely love the new car for the family! Has been on 3+ road trips over the last 7 months now to Crater Lake, Wine Country, up and down the Oregon Coast!

Driving back up the Vancouver Canada next month for the 2010 Winter Olympics and visiting relatives there. Would like to have a bit more cargo room to haul stuff back and forth.

I am looking at getting a system that allows me to carry more cargo (protected) on my roof but want a sleek, aerodynamic lines to minimize drag / fuel economy on these long road trips. Having a roof box in silver to match my Forester won't hurt either :icon_wink:

Have been looking at the Subaru 2009 OEM Aero Cross Bars and then having the Yakima Skybox 16 (Shorter one for smaller roofs) in Silver. I have settled on the Yakima system as I have two workmates that have newer versions of both brands and I like the Yakima mount system and design....

Has anyone used this combination before or have any advice? I am just wondering what hte Skybox 16 looks like on the roof of the Forester (is it too long does it jut out form the front/back?), Does it connect properly to the Aerobars? and Does the Aerobars properly support the weight of the Skybox 16?

Cheers!

Kevin C. (Aka VetFox)

·
Fast & Dirty
2009 Forester XT 4 speed auto
4,050 Posts
Hi.

I had this very set up on my 07 Outback.
We made a shopping run to Target for baby stuff and jammed everything into the Skybox 16. I love the access from either side and the unit attaches perfectly to aerobar.

I did sell mine because I found the fixed shape limiting for off roading.

However, for 80% of users it is perfect.

Buy in the states and save. Great product.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Wow thanks for the quick reply! I'm picking up the OEM cross bars from the Subaru Dealership probably next week and going to order the Skybox 16 online. Will post pics of the whole setup when I get it. Any websites you recommend to get it for cheap?

Noticed Subieoutlaw, that you are from Calgary! I was originally Born'n'raised from Edmonton (Don't hold it against me!) but now hail from Vancouver. But working in Oregon! Whew!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hey everyone! Just wanted to give you guys an update, picked up the Subaru OEM Aerobar Crossbars (2009+) and installed them last night, just picked up and installed the Yakima Skybox 16s Sliver ontop of them. They fit PERFECTLY!!!! No noise even at 65+mph, very stable and no problems with attchment, trunk open clearance and glass sunroof operation. I absolutely love it, will be using it in earnest next week for a big family road trip.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hmm can't seem to attach photos or link externally to them without 15+ posts.... will try to boost up the counts and then upload the photos!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hi I put the pics in the Members Gallery under the same key words if you'd like the pics!

·
Registered
2010 XT Limited
1 Posts
Overall Height of setup?

Vetfox- can you tell me the overall height of your subaru aero plus skybox 16? I am looking at the same setup, and am trying to figure out if it'll get in the garage... Thanks:shrug:

·
Registered
2004 Forester XT manual
249 Posts
My '04XS (stock ride height) with a Skybox Pro 12 (long, skinny one) on OEM bars will not fit through a standard 7 foot garage door. I haven't directly measured the overall package height.

·
Premium Member
2010 Subaru XT 4EAT
921 Posts
Purchased the black one from some lady on Craig's List who won it in a raffle at work and wanted to unload it for some cash ASAP. I offered her $250 for a brand spanking new one.. This cargo container is top notch and very thankful of the deal I found! I got super lucky

1 - 13 of 13 Posts