Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
09 Forester X
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After reading several threads on here about the poor quality of the stock Head Unit, and the fact that I spend at least an hour in my car every day, I have decided to add the factory tweeters and Clarion CX400 Head Unit (replaces Clarion DUZ385SAT).

This will be my first time installing a new car stereo and I was hoping to get some specifics from people on what I will need and how to go about this outside of basic tools. The tweeters are easy and I have already installed them. They already made a huge difference on my high end. I can't wait to get the new HU in and realize even more great sounds. Then on to buying new front/rear speakers and amp, and sound deadening the doors. But that will have to wait a bit.

Specific questions I had are:
  • Will I encounter the 14pin vs 20pin problem I have read about on some of the threads, and will I need to buy any kit to go along with the new Head Unit installation?
  • Are there any specific instructions out there are how to install/replace the Subaru Head Unit that would show me steps for this etc.?
  • Is running the Ipod cable to the glove box pretty straight forward?
  • Anything else I am missing?

Thanks,
-G

·
Registered
2010 Forester 2.5X
36 Posts
I purchased my ddx616 from crutchfield simply because they give the installation adapters free. If you google crutchfield coupons you get a bunch of codes you can compound for more off your head unit, unless you already purchased it...

it's 20 pin for non-navi

·
Registered
09 Forester X
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
I purchased my ddx616 from crutchfield simply because they give the installation adapters free. If you google crutchfield coupons you get a bunch of codes you can compound for more off your head unit, unless you already purchased it...

it's 20 pin for non-navi
I did already buy it. SI got a good deal elsewhere but I guess I will still have to buy the necessary adaptors. What all do I need to get?

So I am basically going from the stock non-navi 20pin to the replacement which is also a 20pin and non issue?

-G

·
Registered
2014 2.0XT CVT
3,069 Posts
talk to SVXdc on here, he makes custom adapters for the Forester and they're well priced and really good quality. He seems to know just about everything there is about wiring a Forester radio, I bought my harness from him along with the PAC Audio steering wheel control adapter for even cheaper than crutchfield was offering.

As far as the rest goes running the Ipod wire to the glovebox is really easy. The bezel around the radio is just clipped in and what I do is start at the bottom left and get under it with something that won't scratch the dash then just pry out the bottom then the top. Then you'll see the 4 screws holding in the radio, really easy to take out.

You may find that your new head unit is only 7" wide like every other aftermarket double din unit in the world but the opening on the dash is 8" wide so you'll either need to buy an adapter to fit around the unit or buy the correct bezel from japan.

·
Registered
2009 Forester XT Limited
239 Posts
talk to SVXdc on here, he makes custom adapters for the Forester and they're well priced and really good quality. He seems to know just about everything there is about wiring a Forester radio, .
+1 for SVXdc - he built an adapter for me, and helped with wiring info etc.. all of it was exactly as he said it would be - made things 1000x easier.

·
Registered
2010 Forester 2.5X
36 Posts
After using the metra wire harness, I'd use the harness that SVXdc sells too...

if you're using the stock trim panel you'd need a Scosche kit SU2027B or Metra kit 99-8902

I bought a jdm av panel from a avojdm.com since they're cheaper than japanparts.com "[08] Dash Surround Two Tone 66065SC030"
The jdm panel makes the double din head unit look stock.

·
Registered
2010 Forester 2.5X
36 Posts
I'm wrong you wouldn't need a dash kit if your radio came with a escutcheon trim! you can use the stock metal bracket off the stock radio.
I forgot about the escutcheon trim since I didn't use mine... sorry!

·
Registered
09 Forester X
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for all of the information guys. I will contact SVXdc and see what he says.

Seems that I need to get the Metra 70-7552 Radio Wiring Harness for Nissan 07-Up, and then possibly a dash kit to allow for a better fit.

·
Registered
2009 Premium X AT
863 Posts
You should check Crutchfield for the specific parts... they are pretty accurate....

And do you have the factory nav or non nav changer? If the CX400 is anything like the 385SAT (I have this one installed), and you have the non-nav, it'll install easily... Simple unplug wire harness for OEM headunit, plug in wire harness, connect wire harness to the new head unit... attach dash kit and re-assemble... its real easy! (I've never done one before and i finished within half an hour!)

As for running it to the glovebox, I have this too! Check my mod journal, I believe I have some pictures up there... When you open the glove box, on the top left back corner you'll notice a little opening... this goes straight back up to the rear of the head unit... You can feed the USB cable from the back of the HU to the glovebox just by feel.

·
Registered
09 Forester X
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well, it has been several weeks since I updated anyone on my progress.

First off, thank you SVXdc! 1. for supplying me with the harness, 2.for all of your help with the questions I had in connecting the 16pin Clarion Harness to the 20pin Harness you provided and that Subaru uses in their 2009 Forester.

Second. Background info for anyone. I have the stock stereo (non-navi, basic no tweeters) in my 2009 Forester X Manual. I drive a lot and wish I would have done this install 40K miles ago! Seriously the sound difference in the stock Subaru is really a joke and the difference is instantly amazing.

Third. The install. I have no electronics experience and have never done anything like this before. Saying that it was pretty easy. The hardest part was connecting the 2 harness' together and really that was not hard. I did it over a couple of beers.

If you are going to install an after market HU on the 2009 Forester X (non-navi) please refer to this post by Cuddles "After Market CD Player Install 09". He did a great job and there really is nothing to add to it. As his step #2 says (you can avoid this step by popping out the clips below to 2 central air vents. When doing this the slot/opening is right of half way for the right side and left of half way for the left side. Pretty easy other then that. I had a bit of trouble finding it at first.

Now I need to find a cover as I have a bit of a gap around the new HU. Any suggestions other than Scosche kit SU2027B or Metra kit 99-8902 options posted above? Scosche seems to look a bit better/stronger?

Here are some pictures.

If you have any specific questions about the process please let me know and I will be happy to answer as best I can.

Again. For the Money. Tweeters ($70) + HU ($160) + harness ($18) + Trimm Panel ($20) you are looking at around $250 for a great upgrade in sound. Well worth it in my opinion.

Pictures.

Attachments

·
Registered
2009 Premium Automatic
1 Posts
Installation kit with bezel?

get the JDM radio bezel from japanparts (see my journal here http://www.subaruforester.org/vbulletin/f115/jkoppees-09-pic-heavy-69950/ ) it's well worth the money to close up the gap
I am putting a new head unit in my 2009 forester and would like to install the bezel you mentioned. I just had a question about which installation kit to use. It seems like a lot of them are designed to have a gapless fit already. Will the bezel go right over any installation kit you use or will I have to find one that isn't designed to be gapless already if I want to install the bezel?

·
Registered
2014 Forester CVT
168 Posts
talk to SVXdc on here, he makes custom adapters for the Forester and they're well priced and really good quality. He seems to know just about everything there is about wiring a Forester radio, I bought my harness from him along with the PAC Audio steering wheel control adapter for even cheaper than crutchfield was offering.
So true. He has been AMAZING to work with. He is very responsive and knows these systems inside and out. He is helping me with my 14 Premium and it looks like I'll have everything integrated just like the factory system. The only thing I won't get is the radio display on the MFD which is no problem for me. I highly recommend SVXdc if you are putting any aftermarket HU into your Forester.

·
Registered
2010 Forester PZEV
30 Posts
I just installed the Pioneer FH-X700BT, which I purchased from Crutchfield.ca (CDN version....no fees, plus free shipping. Wow. Amazing. Crutchfield sends you everything you need. I will pick up the double din trim shortly, but for the time being i used the supplied trim from the kit. Easy install and what a difference in sound. I'm not crazy about the microphone to mount on the visor, but I can deal with it. I will be adding the tweeters shortly....can't believe what a difference the head unit swap makes alone. New door speakers are on the list as well.

·
Registered
2018 ForesterXT Touring..
2,739 Posts
I just installed the Pioneer FH-X700BT, which I purchased from Crutchfield.ca (CDN version....no fees, plus free shipping. Wow. Amazing. Crutchfield sends you everything you need. I will pick up the double din trim shortly, but for the time being i used the supplied trim from the kit. Easy install and what a difference in sound. I'm not crazy about the microphone to mount on the visor, but I can deal with it. I will be adding the tweeters shortly....can't believe what a difference the head unit swap makes alone. New door speakers are on the list as well.
I just ordered the same head unit from Crutchfield. As I will wait until spring to install it, I have lots of time to order a JDM trim bezel. Was the install easy with the supplied adapter? I have some Kicker door speakers that need more power going to them than the stock hu :biggrin:.

·
Registered
2,739 Posts
I received the unit 1 week ago. I have to wait until it warms up before I can install it. It's been too f'n cold to do it(-39oC this morning). At this rate, it'll be mid May before I can getter done :-(.

·
Registered
2004 Subaru Forester XT 5 speed manual.
741 Posts
I just ordered a FH-X700BT from amazon.com :) My wife and I have stuff shipped from the US with free shipping to the border, then drive for 35 minutes from our house to get there. Conveniently close :)

It cost me $123

·
Registered
2,739 Posts
I installed it a couple of weeks ago. It was a piece of cake. Way better sound than the OEM unit :-D.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts