·
Registered
MY10 X
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

After some advise please

Bit of background info. Car is 4 years old and has done approx 57k km

Car bogged down when accelerating from cruising at approx 40km/h to get up to legal speed of 60km/h.
Check engine light came on, along with the VDC and cruise control lights. When idle, it was really rough and shaking and seemed as though it wanted to stall.
Started to limp the car to the mechanics and mid way to there, the car started behaving fine (as if someone flicked a switch).
Mechanic diagnosed errors as misfires in Cylinders 3 & 4. Codes were cleared and car booked in for fixing the next week (in 6 days time).

2 days later when the car was started, it was running really rough at idle, shaking and even stalled a few times. Took the car for a drive around the block and accelerating was terrible, car struggled to drive up the road.
Then all of a sudden, car just took off.

A couple of days after the above issues, the 1st set of issues re-appeared.

As a result of the misfires, the mechanic replaced the spark plugs and leads. He also advised that the misfires had caused the inside of the catalytic converter to breakdown and there is now a rattle inside the cat. He said we would need to look at getting that replaced and advised it wasn't going to be cheap.

The car has now thrown another check engine code being Catalytic Converter below efficiency threshold.

I spoke to Subaru re quotes for getting the cat replaced. Luckily I was sitting down when I was on the phone.
$4746.50 for a cat, front & rear sensors and coil (he said coil should have been replaced at the same time of the plugs and leads).
I questioned whether Subaru would cover any of the costs seeing as the car is only 4 years old and has such low kms to which he said no as it is too far outside of the warranty period.

Neither the local mechanic nor subaru were able to say for certain what caused the initial cylinder misfire but eluded to fuel.

I have asked my local mechanic to source costs for the replacement parts and am awaiting this quote, i doubt it would be much cheaper.

So my options are
1. Outlay >$5k to have this fixed (car is only worth 15k trade-in price)
2. Speak to an exhaust place and look at getting an aftermarket exhaust installed including a new cat.
3. Get a second hand cat from a wrecker (as suggested by Subaru) and hope the issue wont happen again
4. Piss the car off and get something else (having the issue would severely decrease trade-in value i would imagine)

As you can imagine, this has left me feeling quite disheartened and not overly impressed with Subaru as a brand as you wouldn't expect a car that is only 4 years to have these kind of issues, particularly when everybody comments on the quality of Subaru.

So my question is, can anyone possibly shed some light on what would have caused the misfires to occur in the first place?

In this situation what option would you choose.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
2002 2002 v79 MY02
3 Posts
There is a lot of talk on here with people having faulty front O2 sensors ?? I really hope you can sort this issue out.

·
Registered
05MY Second SG6 4EAT > JDM 5MT
5,684 Posts
holy smokes! are you able to get the parts elsewhere and do the work yourself?

(Sent from my LG G2 via AutoGuide App)

·
Administrator
17,949 Posts
Sorry you're having such problems! Get quotes for parts and shipping from subarupartsgirl. Just send her a PM.

There are many things that can cause a misfire so I would be just guessing.

·
Registered
MY10 X
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Been quoted $440 + freight for a 2nd hand engine pipe and cat.
Really unsure on which path to go down :(

Kevin: I will msg subarupartsgirl for prices.

·
Registered
MY10 X
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
is anyone able to advise the part number for the Catalytic Converter, or point my in the direction of where i may find it?

I have found this on ebay (Re Certified Catalytic Converter Forester 1184216 09 10 Frnt 2 5L | eBay) with the part number (44620AB350) but i'm not sure if it is the correct one.

Edit: Would be good to know front (AF) and rear (O2) sensor parts numbers also

·
Administrator
17,949 Posts
My MY'03 front sensor is 22641AA280. Don't know if they're the same. Jackie (subarupartsgirl) will usually give you part numbers when quoting.

·
Registered
MY10 X
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for that Kevin...

i sent subarupartsgirl a private message on tuesday requesting prices for parts, hopefully she will respond soon.

·
Registered
MY10 X
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

·
Registered
MY10 X
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Latest piece of the puzzle is i can get an aftermarket CAT for $330... Im thinking this might be the way to go

·
Registered
MY10 X
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
turns out the rattle is coming from the second CAT number 9 in the picture above
Converter complete-front (44620AB530), not the CAT with the sensors attached to it

·
Registered
MY10 X
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Got the rear CAT replaced aftermarket (cut and weld job) as this was where the rattle was coming from. Unfortunately though, the problem was the front CAT had broken down and resulted in chunks of metal being lodged in the rear CAT. So looks like I need to replace the front one too.

Its going to cost approx $2,500 plus labour for a genuine or i can get an aftermarket bolt on for $1870 fitted.

Car threw another P0420 Catalytic convert below efficiency threshold CEL code today (driving along M1 at 110kmph) so i need to get the front CAT replaced.

If i change out the front CAT, will the sensors need replacing also?

·
Registered
2008 xt premium
99 Posts
Why not go down the secondhand road as you now know it is to do with the 2 cats, a lot cheaper.

:Banane35:

Gavin..

·
Registered
MY10 X
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Yeah the sensors seem to be ok, as my fuel consumption hasnt changed drastically, which i believe is a good indicator the sensors are bad (from my limited knowledge and research on the topic)

For fuel, I used to use 95 and on the odd occasion when i missed the price cycle, put some 91 in. Have never used E10. Ever since these problems, have been using 98, either BP Ultimate or Caltex Vortex

·
Registered
MY10 X
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Well the aftermarket CAT didnt fit... The rear botled up direct but the front didnt

Am now getting a secondhand genuine CAT with 15,000km on it installed once it arrives from QLD.

To add insult to injury, the passenger door wont lock properly now. The lever only goes across half way from unlocked, regardless of whether I use the key fob or the button on the driver door.

Really think I should have just ditched the car when i first encountered the problems.

·
Administrator
17,949 Posts
Oh dear - what a PIA! You must've walked under a ladder or something; any black cats around (other than the one on your car!)

·
Registered
2008 xt premium
99 Posts
Are you able to get on the Subaru Forester.org international? if so go into "search" and type in "WQD-40 service campaign" and see what you come up with because in the states Subaru are contacting MY09 owners about them replacing the cats due to them failing after time. It is worth a read and maybe they might do it here if you are lucky.

:Banane35:

Gavin..

1 - 20 of 37 Posts