Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
09 forester
253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I replaced the right front axle yesterday. The outer boot was starting to leak, no tears. I was planning on rebooting the axle and keep it as a spare.

How do you disassemble the outer joint? I don't see a snap ring.

2017 2.5i Fozy CVT
1,283 Posts
Very carefully,
Do you own 1955 Forester or a later year?

It might help get a more technical reply if you specified that information.

·
Registered
09 forester
253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
2009 Forester 2.5 SOHC. It might be easier to remove the inner and slip the other over the shaft, than disassemble the outer.

·
Registered
09 forester
253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
I was able to get an outer boot on Amazon, Beck Arnley that had been returned. I paid $6 including shipping. The inner would be another 15, so not sure its worth it.

People on the Outback forum say OEM or nothing. Cardonne sells a lot CV axles, they all cant be bad. A new axle was $50.

·
Registered
09 forester
253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Follow up. I tried rebooting the axle I took out with a Beck Arnley. The outer bearing came off by hitting the bearing with a brass drift. A snap ring holds the shaft to the bearing. But, I found the Beck Arnely was not the correct size, it was too short and would fit correctly. The job is a mess. I can't imagine a garage dealing with this, easier to remove and replace with a $50 Cardonne, finish in one hour, charge $350 in parts and labor.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts