Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2009 Forester XT
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey, all. If this has been discussed anywhere else on the forum, I haven't seen it yet. My keywords keep pulling up other things. I have a 2009 Forester XT, and my engine blew. Apparently, nobody has the bearings for a rebuild right now and I can't find a remanufactured engine that isn't rather expensive, so I'm looking at a ton of salvage pulls, which is far from my first choice. The engines for the newer generations are more plentiful and far cheaper, and the internet is flooded with 2.0L, JDM, supposed direct replacements (ej20x/y) that I do not want to deal with. I'm trying to replace the engine with a little drama as possible. If I can find a direct replacement for the forester, I will jump on it, but, so far, I have found the same or similar model engines, mostly from the legacy gt, although the turbo mounting/routing is different. I'm trying to see if I can drop one of those in as well. Idk about the turbo placement or mounts.

But my pressing question of the moment is whether or not I can use a non-turbo ej255, seeing as there are quite a few, as the replacement and use the turbo, intercooler, wiring, ECM and all of that from my original car without issues. Basically, I'm asking if the engines are identical, aside from the actual turbo parts, or could a non-turbo engine not handle the compression or is there another engine management problem? Are the heads different? I'm not an expert mechanic, but I've done most of my own work so far. This will be my first engine replacement, so I don't really want to do anything tricky. Just looking for viable options here.

·
Registered
2017 Forester XT Touring
626 Posts
I'm pretty certain that the heads are different, as turbos usually run at a lower compression to allow for the turbocharging. There may be other differences as well. Camshafts are likely a different profile.

·
Registered
2009 FXT
122 Posts
All these models have the same longblock engine (longblock = shortblock with cylinder heads on it).
2006-2014 WRX
2006-2013 FXT
2007-2009 LGT or OXT

These all have Secondary Air Injection, D25 heads.
2004-2006 B25 EJ255 engines don't have Secondary air. It's easy to delete Secondary air and you could use this engine, but not sure if some states won't allow this as it an emissions system.

They have different intake manifolds and turbos. You can use your intake and turbo.

Non turbo use EJ253, won't work for a turbo car, big differences with cam sensors and avcs.

Sent from my SM-G988W using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2009 FXT
122 Posts
EJ20X/Y is easy swap if you use your intake and turbo as well, but compression is higher in these so tune might be advisible.

·
Registered
MY05 Forester 2.5 XT 5MT
3,132 Posts
EJ255 is low compression. The 2.5 Litre Non Turbo equivalent has high compression. The EJ2155 components are designed for boost. The Non turbo engines are not.

The ECUs are very different and you may need to consider a standalone engine management solution.

If you need a new shortblock, have you tried here:
Long Blocks: Forester - 2009 - Engine - Long Block - IAG Performance
Short Blocks: Forester - 2009 - Engine - Short Block - IAG Performance

If the problem is only the bearings, what are you trying to source as the likes of Summit Racing etc might have them or even Rally Sport Direct, or approach an engine builder and ask for the bearings, if they have what you want. If it is a price issue, approach an engineering supply place will require the dimensions and will be able to supply a bearing - A lot of small scale engine development is carried out this way for prototyping.

·
Registered
2009 Forester XT; 2003 WRX
9 Posts
Hey, all. If this has been discussed anywhere else on the forum, I haven't seen it yet. My keywords keep pulling up other things. I have a 2009 Forester XT, and my engine blew. Apparently, nobody has the bearings for a rebuild right now and I can't find a remanufactured engine that isn't rather expensive, so I'm looking at a ton of salvage pulls, which is far from my first choice. The engines for the newer generations are more plentiful and far cheaper, and the internet is flooded with 2.0L, JDM, supposed direct replacements (ej20x/y) that I do not want to deal with. I'm trying to replace the engine with a little drama as possible. If I can find a direct replacement for the forester, I will jump on it, but, so far, I have found the same or similar model engines, mostly from the legacy gt, although the turbo mounting/routing is different. I'm trying to see if I can drop one of those in as well. Idk about the turbo placement or mounts.

But my pressing question of the moment is whether or not I can use a non-turbo ej255, seeing as there are quite a few, as the replacement and use the turbo, intercooler, wiring, ECM and all of that from my original car without issues. Basically, I'm asking if the engines are identical, aside from the actual turbo parts, or could a non-turbo engine not handle the compression or is there another engine management problem? Are the heads different? I'm not an expert mechanic, but I've done most of my own work so far. This will be my first engine replacement, so I don't really want to do anything tricky. Just looking for viable options here.
Pmp Auto group in Mertztown, Pa 19539 / 610-577-5594, They have nothing but Subaru parts used and have shipping!

·
Registered
2009 Forester XT
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Thank you for the input and the links. It was actually a race engine builder who has a machine shop and hasn't been able to find the bearings, but I will look again. I definitely don't want to go the ej20x/y route. Someone shared a post from a user here, named Patrick, who did a really great write-up a while back, on a Legacy to Forester FB25 swap. I am trying to see if those same similarities exist for the turbo 255s as well. I'm finding more of those than foresters, with fewer miles, which I didn't expect. I think the legacy 255s I've seen are version 3, versus my version 2, but I think its the turbo placement that would present a problem. Might have to swap coil packs and a few peripherals but that wouldn't be too bad, although one more chance for something to go sideways. Subaru projects are all about getting hopes up in similarities and then getting burned on something small, it seems, but there has been a lot of good info here. I will look at those blocks now. Thank you, again for the responses!

I did come across a saucy Forester STI engine, of all things, if I wanted to throw $5k at it, but I will try to keep my priorities in order to some degree, 😆

·
Registered
2009 FXT
122 Posts
I was looking at pics of a 2010+ LGT EJ255 awhile back. It looked to me like the longblock was the same as the other EJ255s.
Intake and turbo setup totally different tho

·
Registered
2009 Forester XT
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I was looking at pics of a 2010+ LGT EJ255 awhile back. It looked to me like the longblock was the same as the other EJ255s.
Intake and turbo setup totally different tho

Yep, that is the case. That oil scavenging turbo pump creates a different form factor. Idk if there is room for it. I keep thinking someone has had to try it.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts