Registered
2009 Forester Automatic
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Premium Member
2008 XS 4EAT
9,825 Posts
Trying to be helpful here but these keys often come with an immobilzer chip that may not be compatable with the Australian spec immobilizer. Past experience here has been Australian members order US keys, because they were incredibly cheaper than what the Aussie dealers charge and they would not work unless you hacked the key and changed the chip from an Australian key. Is that your plan?

If that's what you plan on doing you can order from one of our best Supporting Vendors, Annapolis Subaru Jackie AKA SubaruPartsGirl can fix you up, she has plenty of many repeat Australian customers already.

We even had a similar thread for those wishing to upgrade http://www.subaruforester.org/vbull...orks-03-08-foresters-w-immobilizer-too-55952/ At the time the Legacy/Liberty key was the only one available

Hope this helps.

Cheers
Doug

·
Registered
2009 Forester Automatic
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for your help.

they would not work unless you hacked the key and changed the chip from an Australian key. Is that your plan?
Yes, this is an option.

Two key/fobs/transponders came with the car but both fobs have a poor battery connection which seems to be non-repairable. So the 3 button fob is all I really need.

·
Registered
(Australian spec) 2019 MY19 Outback 3.6R CVT.
393 Posts
The positive terminal on the fob may be detached/poorly connected to the circuit board.
Please see photos.
Hi Brammas. It is a bit hard to tell from your photograph, but if your +ve battery contact problem is the same problem I struck with my previous MY09 XT (see the last paragraph in my post here), then it is a very easy fix. If the +ve battery contact feels loose then it needs re-soldering.

The circuit board (PCB) needs to be removed & the +ve battery contact has to be re-soldered to the PCB pad. From memory I had to use a hobby knife blade or Stanley knife blade to open the case (it is designed to be opened) then the PCB can be removed for repairs. I’m not sure if there were other small screws to be removed prior to opening the case, so have a close look for any. If not familiar with PCB work, be careful of static charges that can damage components on the PCB; earth yourself before work to remove any static charge & don’t work on carpet that contains synthetics.

Once the PCB has been removed, a soldering station, or small soldering iron, & thin resin cored solder is all that is required for the repair. Just re-solder & it will be a permanent fix. After re-soldering & partial re-assembly, retention the +ve contact & clean both contacts as well as the battery contact surfaces with a cleaner as per my posts in that topic I linked to above.

I you don’t have the tools or expertise to carry out the re-soldering, take the PCB to a service that carries out repairs to electronic equipment.

·
Registered
2009 Forester Automatic
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
From memory I had to use a hobby knife blade or Stanley knife blade to open the case (it is designed to be opened) then the PCB can be removed for repairs.
Thanks XT-sub, I opened the remote with a craft knife - with a little force.
Soldered the contact and it worked.

Attachments

·
Registered
(Australian spec) 2019 MY19 Outback 3.6R CVT.
393 Posts
Great work Brammas.:smile: That’s the exact same solder joint I had to re-solder on ours. Thanks for the feedback & the photos. Hopefully your topic can help someone else.

Edit: I’ve been thinking about how I split our remote open to remove the PCB. It’s been a while ago, but I think I rested it on its edge on a table or bench, put the cutting edge of a Stanley knife (blade only) or a sharp knife along the join, and then tapped the blunt back edge of the blade or knife with a pair of pliers.

·
Registered
2008 Forester
14 Posts
Thanks XT-sub, I opened the remote with a craft knife - with a little force.
Soldered the contact and it worked.
Had the same thing 2008 S3 Forester same key type - bad solder joint exactly as described, easy fix if you can use a small soldering iron, but anyone with no electronics experience is better to enlist the help of someone who has. After removing the cover for the battery (three very small phillips head screws, you need to split the case of the remote with a knife like a utility knife or craft knife. Be careful to do this in a place where you won't loose the very small parts like the screws and the battery connector is almost certain to fall off as you pull the key remote apart. If you lose parts I doubt you'll be able to get replacements.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts