Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 87 Posts

·
Registered
2009 Forester 2.0XS / EU
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Aloha,

Following my previous "nav unit" thread, I have to say that it was a heavy battle to install nav unit in a non-nav car. I am not finished it yet, but have some significant progress on it. Let's start the story:

First, I ordered the unit through EBay, as you see - it was with a screen defect(a scratch from end to end):

not tested, with no warranty("AS IS"), no box, no books, no discs, but with a worthy price - $76. I have no idea if the unit was functional or not. As mentioned in the previous thread, the unit has P/N FXDD07EF2 (86271SC020):

After the unit was delivered to me(it was first delivered to NY, then a friend of mine brought to me in Europe), I've started examining it.
I've powered it directly from a PC supply unit(you can see harness, isolated by a piece of paper :huh: :

It was the first step passed - the unit POWERED ON !!!

Then going to step two - finding the proper DVD disc. I've found on the web tons of "compatible" software, but it seems that all of it match only the Subaru Legacy/Outback/Tribeca nav systems - all Range Rover, Toyota/Lexus, Saab 9-5 nav discs are compatible to the above models, but none of them is compatible to Impreza/Forester ones. As you may see in Kenwood web store, there are different dvds for these models. It seems the navi in Impreza/Forester is the latest version, as it is used in 2010 Legacy/Outback, which is the same as Forester rather than old Legacy/Outback software.
Infact, revealing the truth, Old Legacy/OB/Tribeca plus Toyota/Lexus, Range Rover, Saab use a disc labeled 464210-XXXX, while the disc of Impreza/Forester is labeled 464211-XXXX(searching on the web shows that Lincoln cars also use 464211 discs). The unit doesn't recognize 464210 discs at all. It says "No DVD".

A lot of thanks to svxdc and rotobob(from iwsti forum), for providing me with very useful information, finally I came to that(passed second step successfully :banana:) :

That's the current story end, but not the final. I am waiting for svxdc to provide me with the needed harness(very different that the one in a non-nav car), so I can proceed to installing the unit in my car. Also I am planning to install a reverse camera and bluetooth mic. I just can't wait to do that, so stay tuned, I'll be back soon.

To be continued... :Banane08::Banane36::Banane35:

P.S. If someone wants to share the new DVD disc(ver 6300/2.0), I'll be very happy...

·
Registered
2014 2.0XT CVT
3,069 Posts
just a thought, I wonder if you could use either glass or plastic polish to take that scratch out, not sure how deep it is.

·
Registered
2009 Forester 2.0XS / EU
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
jkoppee, I thought of that and will surely try it.

Just found another information - actually the maps for Subaru Outback/Toyota/Range Rover/Saab 9-5 are working on my unit, it recognizes them and now I have full coverage of Europe :woohoo: But the unit have to be first initialized with the "correct" dvd(which seems to contain some user interface features in it, maybe?). Then all DENSO maps will work on it.
:Banane17:

P.S. Someone to advice me is it possible to change the units(from 'mi' to 'km' and 'mpg' to 'l/100 km') ?
P.P.S. I've accidently solve the problem with the units - just went to "Version" menu and hit "Default". It seems that metric units are the default and the dvd setup changed them to US metrics... Now everything is ok, also the US map is rendered correctly, as before it didn't :)

·
Registered
2009 Forester 2.0XS / EU
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Brief update :

Thanx to NASIOC forums, now I have bluetooth enabled on the nav unit :)

Also, the DVD is playing just fine :)

:woohoo::Banane08::Banane14:

·
Registered
2009 Forester XT Limited
1,525 Posts
Just as a thought and I am not sure about this but if you try to take out the scratch be careful. If there is an antiglare coating on the screen it may be removed with polish, and then during daylight you may have a hard time seeing the screen, too much glare.

·
Registered
5 Posts

Just found another information - actually the maps for Subaru Outback/Toyota/Range Rover/Saab 9-5 are working on my unit, it recognizes them and now I have full coverage of Europe :woohoo: But the unit have to be first initialized with the "correct" dvd(which seems to contain some user interface features in it, maybe?). Then all DENSO maps will work on it.
Hi
I;m from Greece and i have this model in my subaru sti 2009 car.
Is having the maps for Europe but not for Greece!
What are you suggesting me to do about?

Many thanks
Lamprakas

·
Registered
2009 Forester 2.0XS / EU
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Try to find a LandRover or Toyota map(by Denso).
The latest LR version should have the Greece map.

·
Registered
2009 Forester 2.0XS / EU
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
If you downloaded the map from internet, and burned it on dvd, be sure to write it on the lowest possible speed. Otherwise the unit may not read the disk.

·
Registered
5 Posts
If you downloaded the map from internet, and burned it on dvd, be sure to write it on the lowest possible speed. Otherwise the unit may not read the disk.
OK, I will try it

something else..
When i put the original subaru dvd on the pc i see different structure in files and folders from the LR one.
Some of them is the own but the most is different.

Also the 3 original DVDs its dual layer and is the number 464211-XXXX on them.

·
Registered
5 Posts

:)
Hi
When you saying is need to be initialized, what did you mean ?

How did you make it work with other DENSO map DVDs ???!!!!!
Thanks for your help :icon_biggrin:

·
Registered
2018 2.0 FXT-Touring CVT
3,022 Posts
That's pretty sweet. Good find and good luck with the rest of the install.

·
Registered
2009 Forester 2.0XS / EU
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Hi
When you saying is need to be initialized, what did you mean ?

How did you make it work with other DENSO map DVDs ???!!!!!
Thanks for your help :icon_biggrin:

When the unit is disconnected from power source, it looses its settings, and upon power-on, you should insert original DVD to initialize the software. Then it should start reading every DENSO map disk. As I said - if you have a copy of the map DVD - be sure to write the dvd at the least possible speed.

About the install - finally I've almost collected all the needed parts, so stay tuned, I'll post some pictures of the install in the next weeks.

·
Registered
5 Posts
When the unit is disconnected from power source, it looses its settings, and upon power-on, you should insert original DVD to initialize the software. Then it should start reading every DENSO map disk. As I said - if you have a copy of the map DVD - be sure to write the dvd at the least possible speed.

About the install - finally I've almost collected all the needed parts, so stay tuned, I'll post some pictures of the install in the next weeks.
One moment please..
I have this unit on my car and i have tried denso disks from Toyota, LR and other companies but nothing.
It reads-recognizing only the original disks.
What did you make axactly for reading other denso maps, which may having and Greece inside???? :icon_confused:

·
Registered
2009 Forester 2.0XS / EU
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Hi all,

Happy new year.

I am still collecting the parts for the assembly, because I had no enough time in the last months to take care of it. But some very interesting news will follow soon(in the next few weeks). Stay tuned. Meanwhile, some people asked me how to connect the bluetooth handsfree to the unit. As I see, the NASIOC forum is down, so the only thread with photos of bluetooth mic install is unavailable. So I will post some pictures from my unit, to be in help of everyone, who needs that.
So, to connect bluetooth to Navi unit, you only need a microphone. Surely you can buy the original accessory from Subaru for 150-200$. But you won't do that. Instead, just buy some cheap(3-5$) mic from any pc store. Mine is 3$ pc mic :

The only difference between this mic and the OEM one is the connector. Actually with OEM you pay $150 for a 5-pin connector. The unit uses 3 of the 5 pins, as 2 of them are connected to ground(GND), and one is connected to mic's signal.

The pinout is simple - pins 1 and 4(looking at the back of the navi unit) are connected to GND, and pin 5 is mic signal. You only need to cut the mic harness, to split the GND into 2 wires, and to connect them to the unit's connector. As adviced in the NASIOC thread, I am using the pins from a DB15 connector :

So, the final results is :

Enjoy.

·
Registered
2009 Forester 2.0XS / EU
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
Finally, after half an year, I have the unit installed :)

First - had to remove the cd panel. It was an easy task to do. Be sure to have a nylon trim removal tool. Then catch the A/C outlet with 2 fingers and try to pull it, while trying to insert the trim in the center of the bottom of the panel. when you succeed - pry with the tool to the left or right, this will unlock the lowest latches. Then proceed to the upper ones. (you can find more instructions in the accessory install sheets - I've used the bluetooth and Sirius radio install sheets as reference). After the front panel is removed, it is a good idea to remove the A/C outlet so you will have easier access to the back of the navi when installed.

I've connected the harness with the one, that svxdc made for me - a complete PlugN'Play solution. Thanks.
The FM antenna connector is the same, the AudioIN uses the same connector as the 6-CD unit. Just the navi connectors(navi+audio) are different, and you need new harness for it. (20pin old connector to 24pin(navi) and 14pin(audio)). When doing the conversion, you'll need a GPS antenna, and bluetooth mic if you want to connect with bluetooth. I didn't take a photo of the gps antenna, but I've routed the antenna and it's cable to the glove box. For now, it seems that it finds gps signal without problem. I've installed the bluetooth microphone on top of the steering wheel, similar to the place Subaru suggest for the OEM mic, but mine was not with adhesive tape, but has a clip. I clipped it on the top of the steering wheel, then adjusted the wheel up until it wedged the mic with the instrument panel. So now it seems to be stable enough, also it has a superior coverage as it stays in front of the driver. The bluetooth works fine, the signal is good, the sound is pretty cool, and the caller hears me good enough. I am pleased with all that :) .

This is how the cables look like behind when the unit is inserted :

This is the harness looked from above the unit:

When the unit is connected, be sure to insert the A/C outlet first, then the navi, otherwise you'll have some difficulties inserting the outlet.
This is how the unit looks like installed in place:

And finally, with the cover panel installed :

Enjoy.

·
Registered
2018 2.0 FXT-Touring CVT
3,022 Posts
After all of that work, was it worth it? or would buying an aftermarket unit and using that instead been easier?

·
Registered
2009 Forester 2.0XS / EU
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Hi,
I wanted the unit for the fuel meters, for the bluetooth, for the reverse camera. I knew, that the navigation software is not too good, also there is a lack of maps for the region I live. So this is not important for me. For navi, I am using Igo 8, and will surely consider buying an aftermarket unit for that. But I like the bluetooth option - showing the number calling on the display and muting the audio while in call. I like the current fuel consumption meter. I like the settings of the car, I can change. So, in general - if you want just navigation - don't go with that. If you want good-looking and subaru-style unit - try to find one like these.

1 - 20 of 87 Posts