Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Fast & Dirty
2009 Forester XT 4 speed auto
4,039 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Like many of us on the forum we really liked the look of teh matte black painted grille insert from a 2009 FXT.

Well, I will outline the steps needed to get the grille insert off so it can be painted WITHOUT taping.

First step:

Remove bumper.
http://www.subaruforester.org/vbulletin/f80/how-remove-bumper-2009-lots-pics-61344/

Step 2:
Remove complete grille. 2 screws located at the bottom of grille.

Step 3:
Remove 10 small black phillip screws.

Step 4:
Gently use a small flathead screwdriver and pry the tab on the very top right or left of the back of the grille. As you begin to separate the 2 pieces it should continue to allow you to separate the entire thing in one movement. Be slow and gentle.

Step 5:
You should now be holding 2 pieces. One shiny chromo and the other is the insert.

Step 6:
Clean the insert

Step 7:
repeat step 6. You cannot paint anything if it is dirty. Period. Do a half donkey job cleaning will give you a half donkey result.

Step 8:
Prepare insert for paint. I built a support for the insert that will allow it to hang securely without moving. I did this so I can easily apply many light coats of paint.

step 9:
patience. Prep work in painting is everything.
backside of chrome piece after insert removal

The 4 screws help hold the insert when painting

I hope this helps and give you the results you want. As always, TAKE YOUR TIME.
before

After

·
Registered
2009 Forester XT Limited
1,525 Posts
Vey nice.......Good write-up. Thanks.
I was thinking of maybe gloss on mine. Not sure how it would look but I guess I could try it and if I did not like it then go to flat or semi. Maybe I should start out with semi first since I keep everything (plastic exterior parts) dressed most of the time.

·
Fast & Dirty
4,039 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
My plan now is to take off my other grille, when I get my FXT back, and start preparing for my light mod. I am hoping to cut a rectangle in teh grill and have my Hella 450s poke through.

·
Registered
2009 Forester XT Limited
1,525 Posts
My plan now is to take off my other grille, when I get my FXT back, and start preparing for my light mod. I am hoping to cut a rectangle in teh grill and have my Hella 450s poke through.
I am doing a little research myself to see if just the center piece can be ordered. I wanted to cut out some of the little rectangles that seem to block air flow. I don't think it should be an issue since the sport grill is just basically mesh and wide open from what I can tell. With the exception of last week, living is FLA is about cooling! :biggrin: Then I will paint the sucker bright orange........................Jk'ing.

·
Fast & Dirty
4,039 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I'll be home tomorrow. I have also booked some Subie time Saturday morning to install the grill and install my plate (I remove it before any visit to the dealership)

Cheers

·
Registered
2009 Forester
1,155 Posts
What kind of paint did you use??? any prime???

Thanks

·
Registered
2015 Forester 2.0 xt Tour
64 Posts
Please, take some pictures of your painted grill after a year. Also, how many times you had to touch up the spots of chrome that re-appeared after high speed bug hits and other small flying objects.
Yea, I am being sarcastic but I just don't see how paint over chrome will hold up.
love my Forester....

·
Registered
775 Posts
I'd paint those horns black to eliminate the rice factor but otherwise, it looks good.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts