Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 20 of 75 Posts

·
Registered
09 Forester 2.5X
704 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Pretty easy to do. Feel free to add in any tips you know of and Ill update this first post. Instructions are here: 09-10 Fog Light Kit. The whole database for install guides are here: Public Tech Guides. Pictures and tips below:

Reading around people don't like the stock position of the fog light. They come from the factory pointed pretty low. Something to look into if you are not impressed. Also, you can add some PIAA Intense White 9006 (HB4) bulbs.

The two tiny rivet looking things at the corners of the bumpers (one each side) can be removed by pressing the button in, then removing the whole clip. The other clips, you just have to pry the center up about a 1/4" then remove the whole clip.

did you take the front bumper off? I know the instructions say to do so and I did the first time I installed them but you can do it without removing the front bumper cover. A flap on the splash guard on each side pulls down after removing a pushpin and a screw/bolt and you can install everything through there.
Correct, the front bumper can stay on during the install.

The chrome might be a bit much for me...maybe flat black??

Don't forget to put these guys back in!

·
Registered
2018 2.0 FXT-Touring CVT
3,138 Posts
Nice. Mine came stock with fogs, and I do like the chrome. it matches the stock grille.

Though I would change the bulbs to improve visibility.

·
Registered
2006 wrx
49 Posts
did you take the front bumper off? I know the instructions say to do so and I did the first time I installed them but you can do it without removing the front bumper cover. A flap on the splash guard on each side pulls down after removing a pushpin and a screw/bolt and you can install everything through there.

·
Registered
2010 Forester
121 Posts
I was wondering about being able to get them in without pulling the bumper. I got the wheel well arches which glue on and it looks like it will be a pain to pull them off the bumper and glue them back on. Not having to pull the bumper off would be just swell. This is a 2010 model.

·
Registered
09 Forester 2.5X
704 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yup, you can do it without taking off the bumper. I had time and it was a sinch to take it off, so I did that. My mechanic, when I told him I took the bumper off, confirmed that you can do it without taking the bumper off. Ill update my first post!

And the chrome is starting to grow on me. Looks real good when she is cleaned up!

·
Registered
2010 Forester
1 Posts
Did the factory fog light kit including switch and relay for a 2010 Forester using the factory instructions and posts from Cuddles and others. Took about 1.5 hours. The posts were very helpful. The bumper can stay on. Just slide under the fog light position on each side and remove the 10 mm bolt (next to the tow hook) and plastic clip on the plastic underside shield, pull the shield back, and you can fully access what you need to do the install. The factory kit fog lights do not come adjusted. Aim the new lights at a wall 10 feet way and adjust the beam up per the factory instructions before you put the underside shield back. Very easy to access again if you need to adjust further. The screws in the steering column took some patience, but with a good light they were easy to find. The screw next to the ignition switch is the hardest to find and put back - need a good bright light from the side to see what you are doing. Very important to disconnect the battery per the factory instructions so the air bag does not go off in your face if you accidentally short out the steering column. You will have to redo all the pre-sets on the radio, but not worth the risk of setting off the air bag. I was able to install the relay without removing any panels. Tilt the steering column up and lock it in the top position and you can reach in and to the side to insert the relay. Shine a light thru the fuse panel door at the relay block and you can see where the relay goes from the steering column side. No need to pull off the underside of the dashboard.

·
Registered
2010 2.5X PZEV Forester
17 Posts
I installed mine last week. Never ever worked on a car before and let me tell you..All of it was pretty dang easy. The only problem I came across was taking off those little clip things underneath the car. I struggled with them along with taking out the plastic covers that currently reside where the fog lights are suppose to go. They don't twist, they pop out but you have to pry out it out with alot of force. I had to pry it from one side (on the right side...i pryed from 4 oclock and 8 o block from the left fog light cover if this makes sense).

Replacing the signal switch was quite easy. I was able to do with by only removing the side panel that faces the driver door! They look so much better now!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Mine only had one screw thing on the back of the lights (where the plastic nut type deal screwed on). Anyone else only have one?

Also, does anyone have any rewiring directions to allow the fogs to be on with only the parking lights and to stay on with the high beams?

The covers that you remove are not difficult to get off. You just push in the long tab and it slides out a little sideways, then you pull the opposite tab out. Takes minimal effort. If you find it is taking a lot of force, you're doing it wrong.

·
Registered
2010 Forester Manual 5-speed
5 Posts
Thank You Cuddles

I just finished the install of my fog light kit on my 2010 Forester. I can't tell you how much I appreciate the excellent guidance (and the pictures by Cuddles in particular) that made this a relatively easy and completely successful install. Great work you guys and thanks a million for all of the helpful suggestions.

·
Registered
2011 Forester 2.5X 4EAT
43 Posts
I just finished the install of my fog light kit on my 2010 Forester. I can't tell you how much I appreciate the excellent guidance (and the pictures by Cuddles in particular) that made this a relatively easy and completely successful install. Great work you guys and thanks a million for all of the helpful suggestions.
this is good to know! :woohoo:

my brother and i are going to install mine at the end of this month. i'm totally inept with this type of stuff while he's relatively handy, but i plan on bringing out the laptop and following the printed instructions along with the pics in this thread.

·
Registered
2011 Forester 2.5X 4EAT
43 Posts
so... earlier today my brother and i installed the fog lamps on my Subie. like i mentioned before, i'm somewhat mechanically inept and was somewhat nervous doing the install ourselves fearing i'd break something, etc. to be honest, the install could not have been easier (tho i must give credit to my brother who was a HUGE help and has done many mods to his 4Runner). all said and done, it took about 60 minutes. we did not have to remove the bumper nor did we remove the side panel on the dash that butts up to the driver side door to install the relay. the screws in the steering wheel column were relatively easy to remove and replace as well.

the pictures Cuddles posted were a huge help but show how to install the lamps with the bumper removed. we decided to take a few pics to show the install with the bumper on as we didn't see them here on the forum.

i should note that we purchased a tack remover from Home Depot for $6 to help remove the tabs under the body and it was an incredibly worthwhile purchase for the install.

onward to the pics...

With the relay install, you can squeeze your hand thru the fuse opening and fish a flashlight thru the steering column if you need light to see.

all you need is a 10mm socket wrench and a tab remover. you basically need to remove two tabs and one phillips/bolt. i tried my best to take pics of them but it's kinda hard only a few inches away from the vehicle.

the first tab is right behind the "mud flap" or whatever it is where the wheel well and quarter panel meet.

the other tab is forward of the "mud flap" thing and as you can see, adjacent to the tow hook.

finally, the bolt is right behind the tow hook. the tab shown in the shot DOES NOT get removed.

it doesn't look like much room, but you can fit the lamp and snap/screw everything into place inside the bumper.

with plastic paneling "folded" back, just pop out the fog lamp fillers and place the lamp inside the space. my lamps only had one post that attached to the inside bumper. (also, i photo-shopped my bald head from the pic, hence the haze on the bumper).

the aiming of the lights were a bit tough as we don't have a garage here. so we drove to a parking garage to aim them and had to remove the tabs and bolts again to access the screw that adjusts the aim. as someone noted, the lamps come from the factory aimed to the floor so it might be in your best interest to take the time to aim them. i found it easier to do it with two people as my brother got under and adjusted the screw while i directed him.

anyway, here's the finished result. i love the look and i can't wait to see how they perform on my drive home to NJ tonight. also, the lenses are yellow because i applied yellow Lamin-X film on them.

hope these pics help out some people. we both felt it was only proper to give back to the forum for all the help it provided us.

·
Registered
2011 Touring 4EAT
107 Posts
Powerage,

Thanks for sharing your install experience.

These pictures provide another perspective like no other pictures I've seen.

I do have a question. How does that chrome ring get installed or removed?

I am debating if I should apply the yellow film to my factory installed lamps but felt it is better if I remove the chrome rings so the cover over the lamp need not be so precisely round.

OTOH, I am still looking for acrylic or plexlgleas round plates and apply the yellow film to that and somehow affix it in front of the lamp or onto the chrome rings.

·
Registered
2011 Touring 4EAT
107 Posts
I did read up somewhere explaining why yellow fog lamps give the impression that it is doing something for your eyes. Besides I think yellow light in front of my bumper will remind myself that I left the fog lights on.

Personally, I don't get why some people always have their fog lights on....

Now, if I can only find some 4-5/8" round clear acrylic discs....

I plan to yellow film it and affix to the front of the fog lamp with bits of double sided tape (and hope they don't fall off). I sense that if I can somehow affix some clips to the acrylic disc, then maybe I can snap them on.

How about get some chicken wire and cut out a larger round pattern and press fit into that spot in front of the fog light? Would that help with rocks hitting it? How small a grid opening I should get?

I see those jeeps have these plastic lens cover in front of their lights. Do they actually work or it is just for show? Those openings are rather large.

·
Registered
2011 Forester 2.5X 4EAT
43 Posts
The chrome bezels just snap in. You just have to be sure that the tab on the bezel is locked into the right place and then you gently push the bezel into place. The opening for the tab is different on each side and I only wish now that I took pics of that part of the install.

In terms of the yellow, it's not real noticeable during dry road driving if there's lots of ambient light. You can kinda see the yellow in rainy driving (ambient light or not) but they work the best driving in snow and salt covered roads. They were real helpful when I had them in my '04 4Runner. I haven't driven with them enough at night with the Subie to really form a true opinion about them but the little time I did, they worked fine and I dig them.

The yellow might not do very much but I like the look and like I said, I like the way they perform in the winter.

·
Registered
2011 Forester 2.5X Prem automatic
5 Posts
Great job on explaining the 2009-10 fog light installation.

We just purchased a 2011 2.5X that doesn't have fog lights and I intend to install them soon.

Just wondered how much difference the installation will be on a 2011.

If anyone has done a 2011 I'd be interested in you input.

thanks
Doug

1 - 20 of 75 Posts