Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2009 Forester X Boxer D Manual
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have recently purchased a used 2009 Forester X with the EE20 engine and have noticed that the engine makes a rattling noise (not just diesel sound) when feathering the gas pedal, with the engine under load at around 2,000rpm.

Is there any known faults that produce this, or similar symptoms, or have I got a problem?

My mechanic, who has only just driven the car and listened to the noise through the car (ie from inside) thinks that it may be the 'little ends'. Does this sound right? Fixable? Expensive?

He has suggested, initially, an engine oil treatment / flush, and oil/filter change as it was a little while since the last service (the oil is quite black) to start somewhere.. and it's better to start at the cheap option first, right?

Any info would be appreciated

·
Administrator
13,825 Posts
Yes, start with the cheap options for sure.

My Mitsubishi Triton (L200) 2.5 turbo diesel has a slight non-diesel rattle which I believe is a worn idler pulley bearing for the serpentine belt - different engine I know but perhaps check to see if there's something similar on the front end of the diesel Foz?

·
Registered
2014 Forester 6 M/T
44 Posts
It could be a loose airbox, worth to check, but in worst scenario broken crankshaft. Hard to say from just a description.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2012 Forester 2.0D 6MT
23 Posts
Could it be related to the EGR valve? I know the EGR is only active under light throttle, and it can affect the engine sound. It could be worth pulling the valve out, giving it a clean and checking it's operating correctly.

Edit - a cursory Google search tells me that knocking sounds at low RPM (above idle) is symptomatic of an EGR valve that is stuck closed. Definitely worth checking out, I think.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Could be the bearings inside the engine from the crankshaft.

Try Polytron Lubricants on fresh oil with a new filter, maybe it helps.

·
Registered
MY09 XSn 2.0 Diesel 6MT
966 Posts
The EE20 makes all sorts of very strange/worrying noises as the ECU (semi-intelligent) programming tries to fiddle/adjust the injector fuelling & emission control systems.

But these sounds do vary day to day as conditions change. If your sound is constant then it could be mechanical. Post a sound clip if you can.

Mike.

·
Registered
2009 Legacy BMD
45 Posts
^^^ this is very true.

One persistent noise I had was coming from the vacuum pump, I changed it for another (lower mileage) unit and it quietened the rattling noises significantly.

Sent from my ZUK Z1 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2010 Forester Diesel 6sp Manual
67 Posts
Mine makes a rattle like loose exhaust shield hitting something metal at around 1800 rpms, have not found the cause yet.
I also have a tap tap tap noise on light loads when engine is not fully warm and not cold (55-75 degrees).

·
Registered
2010 Forester Diesel 6sp Manual
67 Posts
@DieselForry Have you ever find out what caused that noise? I have the same problem.
Hi!
I have found what made the rattle

as for tap tap tap, I think it is a fuel injector, since the noise changes with fuel pressure. On light loads it is noisy and when floored - it is gone.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts