Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
09 forester
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My right axle is starting to leak grease on the outboard boot. I dont see a crack, just speckles of grease on the knuckle and caliper when I changed the brakes two nights ago. I'm guessing it has hair line cracks that open when steering and will fail soon. I'm replacing the axle this weekend. I replaced the Control Arms, knuckles, ball joints, end links on the car 3 months ago, so every should come apart easily.

Question, any tips for making sure the Transaxle seal is not damaged when I remove the old and install the new stub shaft into the transaxle? I'm thinking do it as a two person job, one person holds the CV Axle straight, other person under the car with pry bar to pop the stub shaft, pull out very straight. Install is the reverse, keeping the stub shaft as straight as possible to not damage the seal.

·
Registered
09 forester
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
The other option I'm considering is just replacing the outer boot. There is no noise from the Axle. I caught it before complete tear and the bearing getting contaminated. And its the outer. But I'm thinking at 10 years its time before both boots tear.

·
Registered
2003 EJ20K Forester
326 Posts
You're on the right track, well thought out methods. Either option should be fine. Shops don't replace the boot because replacement axles are so cheap and the labour of replacing the boot isn't justifiable to the customer, but if you are doing it yourself it might be more cost effective, at the expense of time.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts