Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2009 Subaru Forester X Touring
734 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2009 automatic forester with just under 300,000 Kms on the clock.

I just started noticing that when I decelerate, there is a constant squeak\chirp sound. the noise is somewhat broken, not like a continuous squeal that you would get from a belt. if I had to guess I would say it sounds like a bearing going bad.

I don't think its a wheel bearing as the sound doesn't change when turning one way or the other, and is only on deceleration.

I'm not sure if this would cause the issue, but I recently started regularly using the manual sport-shift or whatever Subaru calls it (I call it tip-tronic) and allowing the car to decelerate in 3rd or 2nd instead of using the brakes.

also of note is that I just changed out the gear selection switch on the side of the transmission, and it was somewhat traumatic lol.

After beating on the spring pin with a drift and progressively bigger hammers trying to drive it out I ended up just drilling it out and replacing it.

to get the arm that connects to the selector cable off of the shaft that goes into the transmission, I Initially pried on it a with a large pry bar which did cause the shaft to deflect. maybe tried this a dozen or so times while also hammering on the arm to try and vibrate it free.

In the end I had to purchase a small 3" pully puller that I had to modify the arms on so they would fit behind the flange on the gear selector arm to pull it off the shaft.
gear_selector.jpg
(not my picture)

any chance I could have damaged something in the transmission from this?

also the noise goes away when the car reaches about 10km\h while decelerating

I was planning on replacing the u-joints in the driveshaft soon as I found that they have some rotational slop, could this be the output shaft bearing going bad from worn out u-joints?

I don't think its the carrier bearing would make noise only on deceleration would it?

·
Registered
2009 Subaru Forester X Touring
734 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I gave it a try yesterday. the best that I could tell is that it does go away when in neutral. its not like a constant noise while decelerating, it sort of comes and goes.

I think Im gonna pull the driveshaft this weekend and see if I can find anything wrong. i gotta order and install new u-joints for it soon, so It would be good to know if I need to replace the output shaft bearings so I can do it all at the same time

also wondering if maybe its just something to do with the brakes, perhaps the dust shield or something.

·
Registered
2005 Subaru Forester XT
29 Posts
on my older XT, i had a similar sounding issue, although its a bit of a random problem that i wouldn't expect on a newer model...
The back plate, which the handbrake shoes pivot off, was rusted and rubbing on the disk. the dust/rain sheild is attached to this part and there was visible rubbing with the disk off, but not a feeling of friction with the wheel off. didnt seem to cause any problems but was annoying, chirpy and only audible at around 15mph and below.
i just filed away the offending material. i assume the plate will bend or rust again and the noise will return....

1 - 4 of 4 Posts