Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

· Registered
2009, base model
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For my '09 (factory stereo, no satnav, no steering wheel controls), I'm wanting to upgrade to a touchscreen that handles Apple Carplay. I figure I'll add in a backup cam at the same time. Ideally, the unit would have a manual volume knob (I'm oldschool about wanting to change/mute it without looking), and be less than $300. Carplay and the ability to play CDs don't seem to be simultaneous in these lower-price units, so as much as I'd like to play CDs as well, I think I'm SOL there.

I've narrowed it down to three models:

Sony XAV-AX1000 (Amazon link)

Boss BCP62-RC (Amazon link)

Planet Audio P62CP (Amazon link)

Does anyone have one of these and could offer a review?
I'm moderately handy and if the unit isn't notorious for difficult installation I think I'll attempt that myself, so if you installed yourself I'd appreciate input on that as well.

· Registered
2010 Forester x Premium plus 5sp.
175 Posts
Best way to get the “new technology” look. I like the pioneer NEX series. Have one in my soob one in my work truck. Love the CarPlay. I have installed a Boss unit. No negatives that I found. Sound was good, features are there and the price is right. No complaints from the owner of the vehicle either. He’s quite happy. I add a powered sub to my systems. That’s a huge help. Good luck.

· Super Moderator
2001 Forester S, 4EAT
6,600 Posts
@Amasea also:
For the best forum experience, we recommend completing your "Account Details". The optional information you enter there will display when members click "About" in your forum profile. You can also create a custom "Signature" that will display every time you make a forum post. The optional additional information you provide could mean getting forum member replies, or not.
Note that your thread(s) could be closed if your "Public Profile" is not completed!

· Registered
2011 XT Limited Auto
58 Posts
My vote is for the Sony. I have been using Pioneer units for years and never had a problem but they don't have a volume knob. I also recommend buying from Crutchfield. The factory warranty will be in place and they will give you wire harness and install instructions for free. They will also help over the phone if you need them. A+ customer support.

· Registered
AU MY06 XS Luxury Auto
902 Posts
Would those connect seamlessly to iOS?
A lot seem to connect very well, plenty of reviews and installation videos on YouTube. Some even do Wireless CarPlay (and Wireless Android Auto).

Things to look out for is whether you needed CAN bus support, but many even seem to have built-in steering wheel controls without requiring extra adapters.

I'm considering it mainly because I have an older SG, so the head unit pretty much acts as an island - except for steering wheel controls. I have the potential to retrofit tech to mine (Australian model), like TPMS, footwell lighting controls, 360 (birds eye - front, back and sides) cameras, dash cam integration, and virtually whatever runs on Android including streaming video and chat apps...

Go with Android 10 based units and go from there.

· Registered
2004 Subaru Forester 2.5x
4 Posts
I have a Sony XAV-AV5000 IN my 04. It has a backup cam also. It does not have CD or manual volume knob. Works ok with Android Auto and should work ok with Apple. One major problem is the reception is less than the factory unit. I lose signal about 1/2 the distance.

· Registered
2009, base model
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I have a Sony XAV-AV5000 IN my 04. It has a backup cam also. It does not have CD or manual volume knob. Works ok with Android Auto and should work ok with Apple. One major problem is the reception is less than the factory unit. I lose signal about 1/2 the distance.
The radio reception? I saw some folks complaining about this on the amazon page for an antenna adapter, and for several of them it turned out the antenna hadn't been connected properly. Might be worth checking out!

· Registered
2004 Subaru Forester 2.5x
4 Posts
The radio reception? I saw some folks complaining about this on the amazon page for an antenna adapter, and for several of them it turned out the antenna hadn't been connected properly. Might be worth checking out!
I took it back to the installer. They said they hooked up the "power antenna" lead from the wiring diagram. I may need to take it out and check it myself.

· Registered
AU MY06 XS Luxury Auto
902 Posts
Anyone have pictures of the Sony installed? Thinking about getting it for my 2007
Where are you installing it, replacing standard 2DIN factory head unit under the air vents, or inside a navigation pod above? If the former, do you have a cupholder to one side of the 2DIN unit?

does this support Android Auto?
Doesn't seem so, see "Reviews" as well:

· Registered
2010 Forester XT Automatic
565 Posts
For my '09 (factory stereo, no satnav, no steering wheel controls), I'm wanting to upgrade to a touchscreen that handles Apple Carplay. I figure I'll add in a backup cam at the same time. Ideally, the unit would have a manual volume knob (I'm oldschool about wanting to change/mute it without looking), and be less than $300. Carplay and the ability to play CDs don't seem to be simultaneous in these lower-price units, so as much as I'd like to play CDs as well, I think I'm SOL there.

I've narrowed it down to three models:

Sony XAV-AX1000 (Amazon link)

Boss BCP62-RC (Amazon link)

Planet Audio P62CP (Amazon link)

Does anyone have one of these and could offer a review?
I'm moderately handy and if the unit isn't notorious for difficult installation I think I'll attempt that myself, so if you installed yourself I'd appreciate input on that as well.
If you haven't bought one yet, I have an older AX100 that I just pulled out of my car. I was having issues with mic and USB, only to find out after I replaced the head unit that both my mic and USB cable weren't functioning correctly. If you want it, $50 + shipping. I'm pretty sure those were the actual causes of the issues I was having - as it was just the phone disconnecting via USB and mic input not working.

Let me know and it's yours.

· Registered
2015 Forester2.5i Premium CVT
1,522 Posts
Also, does this support Android Auto?
No. AA support was introduced with the following model, the XAV-AX5000, which I have in my 2015 and highly recommend. No knob, but the volume buttons are easy enough to find by touch.

The 5000 has a bigger, brighter, more responsive capacitive (not resistive like the 1000) screen, and a second USB port, but no Aux input.

Note that there is an XAV-AX100 (not 1000) that does support Android Auto. Also, with my 5000, radio reception was superior to the factory Clarion in every way except the lack of HD reception.

· Registered
2009, base model
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
If you haven't bought one yet, I have an older AX100 that I just pulled out of my car. I was having issues with mic and USB, only to find out after I replaced the head unit that both my mic and USB cable weren't functioning correctly. If you want it, $50 + shipping. I'm pretty sure those were the actual causes of the issues I was having - as it was just the phone disconnecting via USB and mic input not working.

Let me know and it's yours.
View attachment 552545
Thanks, that would be awesome! I'll DM you.

· Registered
AU MY06 XS Luxury Auto
902 Posts
Replacing standard 2DIN, no cupholder.
Easy peasy. That Sony unit would be fine. Note you also have an opportunity to install a bigger screen than the 2DIN opening that sticks out. But for me, my arm obscures a fair chunk of the display there.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts