Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
41 - 48 of 48 Posts

Registered
2009 Forester
Discussion Starter · #41 ·
When the engine is not running, the oil runs into the sump (aka oil pan). The oil level will be well below the pan gasket. I'd expect to have to make up 8 ounces or so that are in the filter.

Good that you got it off. OP. Besides tape, I've heard of people using a strip of sandpaper under the filter wrench.
View attachment 561057
That gave me a smile because prior to going outside to work on getting the old oil filter off, I saw some sandpaper in my house and thought about doing just what you mentioned! 馃檪

I had an old car that I couldn't get any filter wrench on. I followed the advice of a friend and took my longest screwdriver, stuck it through the filter and easily turned it off. Yes, it was a little messy.
But you did get it off !!....

I just use a very, very large "slip-joint" pliers -- I have to grab it at an angle (reaching down because there isn't enough room to grasp it perpendicularly as would be proper), but it's so large that the angle isn't a problem as long as the tips of the jaws are grasping the flats (the 13 or so "flutes" around the top edge). Yes, I haven't been able to find a cap that actually fits those flutes -- after trying 3 brands, they still don't fit, either being too loose or too tight (and can't get it on) -- but my really big slip joint pliers have never failed me.
BTW, young man, I'm a few years older than you :D :D .
View attachment 561095 Here's a picture, I hope you can see it
Ken C your older than me and your still doing oil changes?!....My hats off to ya !! 馃槉

If you have the correct oil filter "cup" and the cup fits tightly and the inside profile of the cup matches the flats on the filter - the reason that your cup is turning on the filter is because the end of your ratchet or extension is protruding in too far and keeping the cup from bottoming on the filter. Try to put the oil filter cup on the filter and bottom it on the filter. Then just insert the ratchet or extension in just enough to get a good bite - not the whole way in. I learned this trick years ago and it works for me.
Ferd Turgeson That did happen to me ....At first.... But I did exactly what you mentioned and it worked out ok.

@SmokinJoe814 looks like you're good, so I added "SOLVED!" to your thread title.

Bobby...

['07 FSXT Member Journal] ['03 X Member Journal]
Thanks Bobby !!

Registered
2002 Forester L 5mt
K &N filters have a sheet metal nut welded to the top...you can use a socket wrench and whatever extension is necessary. They're a little more expensive than other filters but Walmart sells them.

Registered
2020 Forester 2.5 CVT base model
I was too cheap to buy the proper filter removal tool for my 2010 Forester.
Solution was a 450mm length of 65mm dia white pvc drainage pipe from the hardware store.
With a new oil filter on hand, I gently heated one end of the pipe until it softened. Then the multi faced end of the new filter was eased into the pliant pvc and left there until cooled.
With the filter removed from the cooled pipe, a nice socket end remained..
A hole can now be drilled through the opposite end of the pvc for a screwdriver to be inserted for leverage.
The tube pushed firmly onto the filter to be removed made the job just so easy.
The same tube is used to tighten the replacement filter.
I used this one homemade pvc socket for 10 years ,
The current 2020 has an inverted, easy access, under hood filter.

Registered
2021 Forester Limited
Some of the o-rings used on filters will swell a little with the heat and oil contact, making them difficult to remove. I recall some of the nissan oil filters on the lift trucks at work were always a pain to break loose, even if you barely tightened them.

What I found on my '10 Impreza was the Subaru blue filters don't fit most of the cap sockets sold. The sockets always slipped on them. So I got the squeeze type filter sockets shown above. Those always work on the Subaru filters.

I also went with the taller filter so there was more to get a hold of/see what's going on. There are plenty of other things that will get hit before the filter for normal road use. I never had any issues with that, and I took the Impreza a few places off road. It has a lot less clearance than a Forester.

I never had an issue with oil getting into the heat shield. Not sure how that will happen, unless you just spin it off as fast as you can. I break it loose enough for oil to just flow, and let the oil drain down the sides of the filter, then finish unscrewing it, never got oil anywhere other than the drain pan. 馃し鈥嶁檪锔

It's not like you are doing a pit stop and need to get it done in 3 seconds.

Registered
2015 Forester
If you have the correct oil filter "cup" and the cup fits tightly and the inside profile of the cup matches the flats on the filter
As a couple of others have mentioned, Subaru uses an odd size so the caps don't fit. I did some research when I did the first change on my Subie. I couldn't get anything to fit that I could get leverage with, even with the top mount. I generally use the strap wrenches with a swivel head, but the small one wouldn't grip and the angle lost leverage. The cap ones were either too small or large, which is when I look at the size. I found the required size, but it was not available (maybe a US thing?). Finally ended up with a dual size one, line it up with the small size and bang it on. Push down while removing. Then bang the wrench off the filter.

Registered
2009 Forester
Discussion Starter · #47 ·
@commonme What I am really shaking my head about is the location of the oil filter on my 2009 Subaru Forester. There are 2 exhaust pipes where one is on the left of the filter and the other on the right. Both pipes have I'll call them covers on them that make the pipe much larger narrowing down the space available to access the filter. The only way to try to remove the filter is with the cap. No way can you use a strap that goes around the body of the filter.You can get the strap ( medal or cloth) around the filter if the handle will bend downwards, but no way can you turn it. Whoever designed this setup I am guessing, did it so you would have to take your car to a dealership or oil change garage to have the oil changed. Or.......They did it to laugh their butt off.

Registered
2021 Forester Limited
There are 2 exhaust pipes where one is on the left of the filter and the other on the right. Both pipes have I'll call them covers on them that make the pipe much larger narrowing down the space available to access the filter.
It's basically the header that goes on both sides of the filter. The covers are for retaining heat in the header pipes. There is actually a cloth type insulation inside the covers that is similar to header wrap.

While it is a pain, once the right type of oil filter socket/tool is in hand, it isn't that big of an issue to remove and install. I used one of the two or three finger tools that squeeze in as they are turned counterclockwise. I also used an extension on the ratchet to reach in there better.

The first few times of changing the filter were a bit frustrating, but once I had the correct tool, similar to below, it wasn't too bad.

41 - 48 of 48 Posts