Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
2009 Forester
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I changed my oil last week, I do it myself because it is too expensive to have it done in a shop ( $50! ). I am 70 years old so I would rather not do it
but don't have a choice. After changing the oil, I tried to replace the oil filter. Now, the oil filter is in a really tough spot with 2 thick exhaust pipes
one on each side of the filter. Wow....Thank you very much to whoever designed this.....I can get an oil filter cap on the end of the filter but when I try
to turn it with my ratchet the cap just starts spinning and not moving the filter at all. I bought a removal tool with a medal strap that goes around the body
of the filter but it is incredibly hard to get it on the filter and try and turn it with the exhaust pipes in the way. Also went out and got a tool with a square
medal pipe that had a cloth strap attached to it. My extension bar for my ratchet fit inside the pipe and I tightened it which tightened up the cloth strap
that was around the oil filter. Well it did tighten it up until the strap broke. Help!! I can use some advice please!!

·
Registered
2010 X Limited, 2.5L NA, 4AT. Purchased as the second owner in 2020 with ~126K miles.
785 Posts
Waste it! I can't tell you how many times I have had stuck filters. All I can say is when it gets to this point, things are going to get ugly. :LOL: Seriously though, there is no need to preserve the old filter. You can puncture it, smash it, whatever to get it out. It's messy but it will come out.

You don't need to crank a new filter in place. The box usually tells you how tight to run them in. It's usually a quarter turn after contact or something like that. I've heard it said that filters actually tighten up after you put them in.

·
Registered
726 Posts
I use some wide donkey skinny pliers, to pinch twist and break the seal if one is stuck stuck.

You can also tap a screw driver through, twist til it breaks, and pull it back out. You'd be surprised how thin and flimsy oil filters are.

Be jealous of the newer engines, filter is right on top like old Camry's.

Only got to break it lose, move it an inch, then it will come out rest of the way by hand.
Motor vehicle Automotive design Gas Automotive air manifold Automotive fuel system

·
Registered
2017 Foz 2.5i CVT
2,291 Posts
I'd recommend a cap-type wrench with the 3 "fingers". Who tightened the current filter?

A $50 oil change, which includes $35 of oil and filters, is not that extravagant. How much do you pay to fill your gas tank? I'm just a kid (at 69 years old) and changed the oil/filter on my '09 a few times. Filter placement does suck and you inevitably fill the heat shields with oil and have that lovely smell to deal with... I pay the dealer these days, even on our '17 with the top-mount filter.

I don't let anyone else touch my '91 BMW 318is, on which I've done every oil change for the last 25 years.

One other hint is to use a longer filter (a Honda Civic app) which will give you a bit more access to the end of the filter...

·
Registered
2015 Forester 2.5i Limited CVT
1,790 Posts
Lisle tools also makes a wrench that fits around the filter. The cap wrenches will work. If you spray the filter with brake cleaner it will be easier. Less slippery. The filter doesn’t require a lot of torque. Just hand tight. I can remove my oil filters by hand. 1/4 turn pass tight is all it needs.

Put some engine oil on the filters rubber o ring before installation. If it’s on too tight, just use extra force.

·
Registered
2017 Forester XT Touring EyeSight
964 Posts
I've DIYed a dozen cars over decades. In cases of too tight filters, I have drilled one or two holes in my filter cap wrench so that sheet metal screws could be driven into the stuck filter. Then the cap wrench doesn't slip. Put the holes in the cup part of the wrench, but near the edge for greatest torque leverage.

·
Registered
1999 A/T - 235,000 mi. WA state
954 Posts
I changed my oil last week, ... Help!! I can use some advice please!!
Yes, kick the can further down the road. Run car with the old filter and just schedule the oil change at 3/4 of your normal interval (miles or time); it works out. Filters collect almost nothing, so it's not at all used up.

During the next 6 months you get to reflect on paying the Quick Lube place to do it. :)

·
Registered
2009 Forester
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
@UhOh I would really like to get the new filter on...But....On my Forester there isn't much room to work on the filter....So I'm in limbo....Not sure what to do.....Think I may kick the can down the road.🙃

·
Registered
2017 Foz 2.5i CVT
2,291 Posts
Although it won't help with your current filter, I just took a minute to look up the Purolator filter numbers.

OEM short filter on the '09 Foz is PL14612, and the longer Honda Civic filter is PL14610. These are identical in spec but the Honda version is 3/4" longer which gives you more to grip with any wrench... (When I had my '09 Foz, my wife was driving her '06 Civic so when I bought the oil/filter sale combos I'd just get the longer filters in a Pure One version.)

Only problem might be if you hit a boulder with the longer filter...

And in 52 years of driving and changing oil, I admit to having to put screwdrivers through oil filters to get them off, or use other unorthodox methods. The 3-finger wrenches do the trick on Subaru filters.

·
Registered
2008 LL Bean (4EAT)
5,084 Posts
... The 3-finger wrenches do the trick on Subaru filters.
I have have changed all my filters since new, and a cap wrench has worked OK. The cap does not fit perfectly tightly, so it takes pressing on the cap while gradually increasing the torque. Otherwise the cap will spin on the filter. On other cars I have lined the cap with masking tape to reduce the clearance and slippage.
The biggest tip I have is, after loosening the filter, put a Starbucks coffee cup over the filter and turn it off by hand. All the oil goes into the cup, not all over the exhaust shields. Then let the cup drop into the hand, with the filter and oil in it.

·
Administrator
2007 Forester Sports XT 4EAT
41,714 Posts

·
Administrator
2007 Forester Sports XT 4EAT
41,714 Posts
@Theseus161 I'm going to say no, it's for removal only. I'm one of those guys that likes a VERY tight oil filter, so I "gorilla" the oil filter on as tight as I can by hand. When removing the oil filter, I use that Lisle filter wrench. It's never failed me!

Bobby...

['07 FSXT Member Journal] ['03 X Member Journal]

Reactions: SmokinJoe814

·
Registered
2019 Forester Limited
1,270 Posts
One of the best pieces of advice, and maybe the first received from this forum, was to get the lisle filter wrench. I have a large collection of cap wrenches, strap wrenches, etc, accumulated over many years. The lisle outperforms them all. Great little tool. It’s only for removing filters.

·
Registered
2018 Forester XT Premium
165 Posts
I think OP tried a wrench like the Lisle tool, but he says there isn't the room for him to leverage it. Since you have the filter socket but it seems to spin instead of grip, you can do two things to make that more effective. You can run some electrical tape along the inside of the socket (where it grips the filter), like 2 or 3 times around. This decreases the diameter and gives a good friction surface to grip the filter. Combine that with additional force upwards, give it a good press towards the filter as you are trying to turn it to give extra grip over slip. Good luck @SmokinJoe814 , if you were my neighbor I'd do it for you.

·
Registered
2011 Subaru Forester
1,678 Posts
ShadeTree beat me to it. Electric tape in the cup socket is what I do as well.
Seems to me the OP has to wait for his next oil change unless he wants to drain and reuse his new oil. I am guessing that you cannot replace the bottom mounted filter without losing oil unless you drain the oil. Love the top mounted filter on my FB.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts