Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is my first post here.

I've got a 2009 XT with manual climate controls, that the cabin blower has been making a little noise for a while. It also had the AC clutch bearing fail a couple weeks ago and to get home I just cut the AC belt and decided to replace the compressor in the spring. Now a couple days ago the blower quit on engine start. I thought it finally seized and went and ordered a new one.

Put the new one in and no dice. After much swearing and fuse pulling I finally traced it down to fuse 22(something AC related that powers the climate controls) under the steering column. Change that and it works at all speeds as it should. Today it failed again as my wife was on her way to work. I won't get hands on it until this evening but I'm figuring #22 blew again.

My question is, what exactly does that fuse power and how does it cause my blower to quit since the blower has several dedicated fuses? Is my failed AC compressor clutch possibly shorted and will disconnecting it solve my issue? Is there a source for wiring diagrams for this vehicle?

·
Registered
2009 Legacy
910 Posts
@Birdog357 According to my service manual, fuse 22 goes here:
AC control module
The coil of the blower motor relay
The contact of the AC pressure switch
The contact of the AC relay which actuates the magnet clutch

Since you've cut the belt to the compressor, just yank the AC relay. Edit: or pull connector F24. That's looks to be a connector that goes to that magnet clutch. If it doesn't blow fuses after that, your problem most likely is the magnet clutch.

·
Registered
2009 Legacy
910 Posts
It will keep it from blowing that fuse until you replace it. It could also be a bare wire touching ground or that other solenoid's coil being bad but that's far less likely. This is the low hanging fruit.
That fuse feeds the secondary fan so it isn't a good idea to drive without it because it could cause the car to overheat.
Good luck.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Fuse 22 also powers the secondary cooling fan? What kind of Mickey Mouse wiring setup is that?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So I pulled the AC clutch wire off and she's driven it to and from work with no issues so I think I got this one solved. Thanks @Remco

1 - 8 of 8 Posts