Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2009 Forester
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Brake pads on our 2009 Forrester (only 32,000 miles) look good still; however I suspect the front rotors are warped because we get noticeable shaking in steering wheel only when we apply the brakes. My plan is to replace all 4 rotors and put new pads on as well. Assuming my diagnosis of the problem is correct (?), my questions are: 1) should I use 'coated' rotors (pros and cons pls); and 2) should I use ceramic brake pads (pros and cons pls); 3) finally, do we still put "brake grease" on the back of the new pads prior to installing? Been 15+ years since I did my last brake job.THANKS, John

·
Registered
non-subaru
911 Posts
finally, do we still put "brake grease" on the back of the new pads prior to installing?
1) Follow MakeForesterGreatAgain advice: He may very well be right. No point replacing brakes if that isn't your problem. Check that first.

2) Yes, there and just a dab where the pads meet those silvery hold downs that come with the pads. Remove any rust or gunk from where those silvery things snap into. Also grease the slider pins and inspect those accordion looking rubber things that go over the slider pins.

·
Super Duper Moderator
2,343 Posts
When you do decide to replace brake parts... I highly recommend www.knsbrakes.com Free shipping aside, they have a great product selection. Their KNS branded rotors are re-labeled DBA's...

I have Hawk 5.0's Front and Rear. Tire Rack offers them as well as KNSBrakes...

I would also follow @Makingforestergreatagain's advise...

·
Registered
1999 "L" - 231,000 mi. AT
715 Posts
and 2) should I use ceramic brake pads (pros and cons pls);
I've used Akebono Ceramic Pads on two sedans and am sold on their performance; quiet and long lasting and no brake dust. Pricey but worth it - got them at TireRack.com. If I still have my Subie when it needs new pads, now 230K miles, that's what I'll get.

·
Registered
MY09 XSn 2.0 Diesel 6MT
967 Posts
Over-tightened wheel bolts and/or uneven tightening, especially using an impact gun can cause strange vibrations. An easy check.

·
Registered
2015 Forester 2.5i Limited CVT
845 Posts
If you suspect the rotors after checking your ball joints, you can use a dial indicator on a magnetic stand to check tir/run out. Iirc it’s .002” max.

·
Registered
2009 Forester
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Probably gonna attempt rotors and pads (all 4 wheels) on my 2009 Forester. Pls. tell me the torque specs for the caliper SUPPORT bolts and the caliper bolts. THANKS, John

1 - 10 of 10 Posts