Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
2015 Forester X 6MT 6-Gear Manual
1,373 Posts
Hi All I have a 2009 Forester XT and my Turbo just blew up at only 24000miles. I did all of the maintenance and oil changes on time and treated the car like a baby so i am very upset. ... ... thanks
Curious as to:
1) What oil were you running
2) What was you oil change interval
3) What filter did you run
thanks, Hope all works out OK.

·
Registered
2009 2.5X Limited
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
hey guys just to clarify on time meant on time....i did an oil change every 3750miles or 4 months since i bought the thing. I did a couple of oil changes at the dealer and a few at the service garage next to my work....all oil was approved oil for the engine and meet the guidelines...i assume at Subaru dealer they used subaru brand oil and the garage uses either quaker state or castrol....both approved oils.

Seriously am I the only XT guy with a blown turbo and got it even though I did all the maitenance on time? Really upsetting to me. I believed in Subaru quality coming off a Honda that lasted me 10 years with no headaches. Two months ago I had to get one of the tire pressure monitoring sensors fived on my FXT because it was faulty. I could live with that but the Turbo going is really starting to scare me that Subaru cars and SUV;s give their owners a lot of headaches....tell me I'm wrong guys, cuase I like the car a lot but see RAV4 and CRV as perhaps something of a more reliable brand that will give me less headaches.

·
Registered
09 FXT Stage 2 4EAT
431 Posts
hey guys just to clarify on time meant on time....i did an oil change every 3750miles or 4 months since i bought the thing. I did a couple of oil changes at the dealer and a few at the service garage next to my work....all oil was approved oil for the engine and meet the guidelines...i assume at Subaru dealer they used subaru brand oil and the garage uses either quaker state or castrol....both approved oils.

Seriously am I the only XT guy with a blown turbo and got it even though I did all the maitenance on time? Really upsetting to me. I believed in Subaru quality coming off a Honda that lasted me 10 years with no headaches. Two months ago I had to get one of the tire pressure monitoring sensors fived on my FXT because it was faulty. I could live with that but the Turbo going is really starting to scare me that Subaru cars and SUV;s give their owners a lot of headaches....tell me I'm wrong guys, cuase I like the car a lot but see RAV4 and CRV as perhaps something of a more reliable brand that will give me less headaches.
How many Hondas have you had with a turbo? A turbo charged car is a totally different game. It does come with different inherit issues but also a lot of benefits. Since no one else here has had a blown turbo on a 09-10 it seems that you might have simply had a defective turbo. The only other thing I can think of is that you cracked the turbo oil feed line (which is notorious in Subarus) and that killed it. Either way, your car sounds like it is under warranty still so i don't know why this isn't being covered. Have you wrote to SOA yet? I've owned 3 Subarus in my life and none of them have ever blown their turbos. It always sucks when yours is the only one that you can find with this condition. But once again that should also tell you that it is some kind of fluke. Best of luck to you and finding your solution.

·
Registered
2016 Outback and WRX CVT
2,551 Posts
^ Forget that! How about Porsche Cayenne Turbo S? :biggrin: Who cares about durability/reliability when you can go stupid fast! :woohoo:

OK, back to being more serious:

The problem, halfx, is that so far, there's yet very little data on the SH-chassis.

Look at the VF40 turbo on the BL/BP Legacy, for example. None of us BL/BP owners with VF40s really started registering trouble until many miles have been put on the car, many years later, even in upgraded (i.e. higher target boost) configurations. And even then, it isn't exactly like the thing is completely non-durable or unreliable - rather, it just seems to have fallen short of our overall expectations for such.

With complete honesty - and as a "car guy" - the only thing that I can say is that a car is a machine. Things can and will go wrong, and there may be singular or small-percentage/minority occurrences which may make one specific, unique, vehicle (i.e. "your" FXT versus "my" FXT versus "his" FXT) more or less durable/reliable than another.

I wasn't always a Subaru guy.

My wife and I, as a family, started on our Subaru journey just a short 5 years ago, with the acquisition of my '05 Legacy and her '05 WRX.

Although it wasn't my intention, initially, I did wind up modifying my vehicle - and while I take meticulous care of her, I also beat the snot out of her when I drive (no, I'm not an aggressive or dangerous driver - all of my local car-clubs' members can testify to this fact - but I do like to have fun, and I've modified my vehicle with this in-mind, and I don't take it easy on her, by any means). This afternoon was actually the first time I was under the car to fix something that was actually broken/damaged. A 2-hour stint, over the course of nearly 6 years since this car's birth (she's an '04 DOB MY05 BL-sedan), for a true repair.

My wife's WRX was leased. We lease her cars, for although I maintain them to the same degree as I do my own, she's the kind of person who doesn't have mechanical empathy (i.e. what went wrong with my car? it's a bent rear anti-sway bar bracket, a common issue with BL/BPs - I heard/felt the problem; my wife would not have), so despite her usual easy driving, her cars, ironically, lead a much harsher life. Her WRX never spent even a single hour off its tires (or on them, for that matter) for repairs.

Her '09 FXT is leased, too. We got a shaky driver's side mirror (a common defect) which was easily and painlessly addressed under warranty. And yes, we were lucky enough to have struck gold with the "Stop Sale" issue - for which the dealership rolled out the red carpet for us for our longblock replacement. But aside from that? No issues in now nearly a year's worth of ownership.

Certainly, that last bit was upsetting - and that's with us leasing the vehicle - and yes, it's even more upsetting to see, as I do, in both my BL/BP community as well as here on SF.org that my fellow Subaru brothers/sisters continue to suffer from this problem. But even so, these are still rarer happenings and not of the majority by far.

All-in-all, yes, halfx, I do feel your pain (especially when my wife looks over at me, and say "you got me a car whose engine blew up!" :icon_redface:) and share your doubts. But at the same time, I'm very hesitant to, at least for the time being, put the blame on either the SH-Forester or Subaru.

Hopefully, as the others on this thread have said, this is just an anomaly.

But again, at the same time, if indeed your turbo did blow - if the techs can confirm this on a postmortem (which should be easy to do) - then I would truly check out the engine as well.

·
Registered
2009 2.5X Limited
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
^ Forget that! How about Porsche Cayenne Turbo S? :biggrin: Who cares about durability/reliability when you can go stupid fast! :woohoo:

OK, back to being more serious:

The problem, halfx, is that so far, there's yet very little data on the SH-chassis.

Look at the VF40 turbo on the BL/BP Legacy, for example. None of us BL/BP owners with VF40s really started registering trouble until many miles have been put on the car, many years later, even in upgraded (i.e. higher target boost) configurations. And even then, it isn't exactly like the thing is completely non-durable or unreliable - rather, it just seems to have fallen short of our overall expectations for such.

With complete honesty - and as a "car guy" - the only thing that I can say is that a car is a machine. Things can and will go wrong, and there may be singular or small-percentage/minority occurrences which may make one specific, unique, vehicle (i.e. "your" FXT versus "my" FXT versus "his" FXT) more or less durable/reliable than another.

I wasn't always a Subaru guy.

My wife and I, as a family, started on our Subaru journey just a short 5 years ago, with the acquisition of my '05 Legacy and her '05 WRX.

Although it wasn't my intention, initially, I did wind up modifying my vehicle - and while I take meticulous care of her, I also beat the snot out of her when I drive (no, I'm not an aggressive or dangerous driver - all of my local car-clubs' members can testify to this fact - but I do like to have fun, and I've modified my vehicle with this in-mind, and I don't take it easy on her, by any means). This afternoon was actually the first time I was under the car to fix something that was actually broken/damaged. A 2-hour stint, over the course of nearly 6 years since this car's birth (she's an '04 DOB MY05 BL-sedan), for a true repair.

My wife's WRX was leased. We lease her cars, for although I maintain them to the same degree as I do my own, she's the kind of person who doesn't have mechanical empathy (i.e. what went wrong with my car? it's a bent rear anti-sway bar bracket, a common issue with BL/BPs - I heard/felt the problem; my wife would not have), so despite her usual easy driving, her cars, ironically, lead a much harsher life. Her WRX never spent even a single hour off its tires (or on them, for that matter) for repairs.

Her '09 FXT is leased, too. We got a shaky driver's side mirror (a common defect) which was easily and painlessly addressed under warranty. And yes, we were lucky enough to have struck gold with the "Stop Sale" issue - for which the dealership rolled out the red carpet for us for our longblock replacement. But aside from that? No issues in now nearly a year's worth of ownership.

Certainly, that last bit was upsetting - and that's with us leasing the vehicle - and yes, it's even more upsetting to see, as I do, in both my BL/BP community as well as here on SF.org that my fellow Subaru brothers/sisters continue to suffer from this problem. But even so, these are still rarer happenings and not of the majority by far.

All-in-all, yes, halfx, I do feel your pain (especially when my wife looks over at me, and say "you got me a car whose engine blew up!" :icon_redface:) and share your doubts. But at the same time, I'm very hesitant to, at least for the time being, put the blame on either the SH-Forester or Subaru.

Hopefully, as the others on this thread have said, this is just an anomaly.

But again, at the same time, if indeed your turbo did blow - if the techs can confirm this on a postmortem (which should be easy to do) - then I would truly check out the engine as well.

thanks, i am leaning towards keeping my FXT after they fix it. I really love the car and its fun to drive and has all the bells and whistles i could ever want....maybe too many! lol....and Subaru USA is saying i will be reimbursed so they are taking care of me which is a good thing as it could be worse. I just hope things like the altenator, starter, suspension, and engine are all not gonna go bad on me early on in owning this car.

·
Registered
2016 Outback and WRX CVT
2,551 Posts
^ Good to hear that SoA will do right! :smile:

I still have an underlying uneasiness about your engine - if it was true that the turbo was the problem.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I bought a 2009xt in Sept of 2016. I am looking into this issue now, since it would appear that my model would be affected by this stop sell (manufactured in 04/08 and vin 722xxx). It seemed to run fine, was at 175k or so on the engine. Since we have had it I changed the timing belt and have kept it in pristine condition. On our way to the chiropractor ( my wife has severe scoliosis) the engine started knocking, i pulled the car over to stop it (on the highway) and oil light came on so i shut the engine off. Oil level was fine, coolant level was fine, i started it up and no lights and used a code reader (i keep one in the car to hook up to my phone) and no codes? So drove home slowly. After testin things at home, it has rod knock (manually tested), and likely a blown turbo (a lot of play). Im assuming oil starvation. Regardless of what anyone says about how lovely subarua are, the turbos are not designed to run on typical high octane, they should have an ethenol mix to help keep temperatures down. I dont know if the previous owner had anything fixed or not, i know by the time i bought it, it was like new condition. Kms now are around 240k (kilometers) I guess the reason im posting here is two fold. 1 to give light that maybe there are continued issues with those affected? Or the 2.5 xt is just a crap design? (Im sure ill get flac for that!) And 2. What options are there for getting this back on the road? Will a ej20y work or is the ecu and throttle all different? Does this need a direct ej255 direct replacement and how can anyone have faith that this wont randomly happen again and further from home? Appologies for your trouble with your blown motor, i know the feeling!

21 - 28 of 28 Posts