Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
09 (SH) Premium X, 03 (SG) 2.5XS
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am trying to install a block heater into my 09 Forester 2.5X, the issue I'm having is removing the frost plug, that thing is tight! Any tricks? I've used a low profile 14 mm hex with a box wrench over the ratchet handle for extra leverage. It didn't work, I also had a swivel head plus extension plus adapter to 3/4 ratchet that couldn't break it free either... The block is brand new (1500 miles on the frost plug) any help or experience will be appreciated!

·
Registered
2011 Subaru Forester
142 Posts
Thanks for the pics, I was looking to install one as well. The install instructions require you to drop the front manifold for better access, and then it looks like you need more leverage and a long cheater bar. Also the block heater for the XT versions is a lot less expensive than the one needed for non-turbos with the SB engine, and sadly is not interchangeable. If you try to use the older style it will lead to problems getting the connector on and most likely premature failure of the cord. Good luck.

·
Registered
09 (SH) Premium X, 03 (SG) 2.5XS
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, dropping the manifold would open up some space, I ordered the heater specifically for my 09, it was fairly inexpensive at about $30

·
Registered
2011 Subaru Forester
142 Posts
I know which one you mean, the only problem is that its for the XT. It has a recessed heating element rather than a protruding one that goes into the block. The proper style one sticks out less from the block and has a cord connection with a 90 degree bend rather than straight like the one I think you got. There is a space issue with that style on ours, and even if you do get it connected its so close to the exhaust manifold that it causes the cord to fail fairly quickly within a month or two. Given the work involved, it's just not worth it. The problem for me is that its a dealer only part and it costs $269 Cdn which I find steep for what it is. With install and taxes its over $400. As a result, I am going for a battery blanket instead to ensure cold starts and will trust the 0w oil to be sufficient. Good luck. Let me know if I am wrong, and you can fit it no problem.

·
Registered
2011 Subaru Forester
142 Posts
Oops. I forgot that mine has a different engine. The one you got should be fine for your 2009. Let me know how it goes undoing the manifold. I would use some PowerBlaster on them and let it do its magic for a day before trying to undo them.

·
Registered
2015 Forester 2.5i Limited CVT
490 Posts
You will need a long breaker bar or powerful impact wrench. Some mild heat with a map gas torch will help since it is thread locked with sealant.
I would use a long 30 plus inch breaker bar. Good luck.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts