Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2009 Forester
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A problem or quirk? Traveling at highway speeds in top gear up a slight hill, the car starts to surge and vibrate, feels a lot like a bad engine miss. It seems like the transmission SHOULD downshift, but hangs onto the top gear.

If I apply more throttle it will eventually downshift, but it seems like it should downshift on its own...without me forcing it to. Any thoughts?

I have disconnected the battery to reset the ECU, but the problem remains. Approx 15,000 miles.

·
Registered
2009 Forester 2.5x
702 Posts
That does not sound normal at all. Certainly I've never felt anything like it. Has the vehicle always done this, or just recently? Think you should bring it to the dealer...if you have time go on their test drive of it with them, so as to forestall the dreaded "we didn't notice anything unusual" response. Good luck,
Steve
09 2.5X AT

·
Registered
2009 Forester X Premium
3,091 Posts
My 09 seems to try to hold the highest gear as long as possible in D it drops down much quicker if it's in Sport Mode though. No surges or weird vibrations though.

·
Registered
2009 Forester X 4 A/T
305 Posts
The '09 has a lock-up torque converter.

My guess is the torque converter in NOT un-locking in 4th gear for some reason. This would cause a direct, no slip coupling of engine and transmission which would make the lugging of the engine in a too high gear very noticeable.

In any case- at 15K miles a trip to the dealer service department is in order.

·
Registered
2009 Forester
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the responses. I recently noticed it during an extended road trip to the midwest (long, rolling hills). I live in a more hilly environment so it seems to D/S at the right times (forced with more throttle).

My engineering mind seems to think the ecu shift points could use an adjustment, i.e. it seems to act better in sport mode as mentioned earlier. In normal drive mode, I think its programmed to stay in high gear as long as possible for better MPG....which is great, if it can do it without lugging the engine to the point of surging.

A trip to the service dept is in the near future. Just wanted to get some feedback in case it might be a widespread issue and give the techs an area to focus on....especially when they try to tell me "no problem found". :icon_confused:

·
Registered
2009 Forester 2.5x
702 Posts
Another possibly relevant discussion in this forum: search "Question on sport shift 09 forester". OP there is "catamount."
Steve
09 2.5X AT

1 - 6 of 6 Posts