Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2009 Forester Automatic
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Two weeks ago, was driving 30 mph and my car made a kind of jolting "surge" motion like I'd suddenly downshifted, but I didn't. Just afterward,
the AT Oil Temp and ABS light popped on and started flashing. Took the car to the mechanic, they couldn't replicate the problem, said it was
probably just dirty transmission oil. Did a drain and fill and I was back on the road until yesterday.

Driving down the freeway at 65 MPH when I experienced the same 'downshift jolt' sensation, my RPMs revved up high and the AT Oil Temp and ABS lights came on again. Limped off the road and went straight back to the mechanic. Mechanic, again, can't seem to replicate the problem when they test drive on surface streets or highway.

FYI - The lights do NOT stay on after starting up the vehicle again the next day, and the car drives just fine ... until it doesn't.

Any ideas, guys? This car only has 58,000 miles on it and I am at my wits end. :frown2:

·
Registered
1999 A/T - 235,000 mi. WA state
917 Posts
my car is older and simpler; its A/T overheat light came on once when it was 20F on Montana freeway. Recalled that the last prior tranny service was by an independent shop, so took Forester to my Subie dealer for a tranny flush. Light has never come on again.

So in my case I think my car's transmission didn't like the other shop's tranny fluid. Now I only have Subie dealer service tranny fluid for my car.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts