Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings all,
I have purchased a used 2009 Forester that has an apparent ABS issue. The diagnostics said right rear. We have taken the vehicle for a ride with the diagnostic computer connected in real time and sure enough the right rear is not reaching the ABS module apparently. The bearing is tight and the sensor has been removed to check for dirt but it was clean. I have read the tone ring on a bearing can go bad. It happens that apparently the bearing must has been changed not long before I bought the vehicle because I can still make out the SKF silkscreen in the hub face.
I question is where should I look first...replace the sensor or the bearing first? and if someone has a pinout diagram of the large connector on the ABS module can you tell me which 2 pin numbers coinside with the 2 wires back at the sensor plug so I can check for continuity in the harness coming back to the front. I would like to cover these bases before I take it back to the mechanic with the computer.
Also, will the ABS lite need to be cleared with a computer after the problem it fixed or will the lite shut off by itself?
I know there is a whole lot more knowledge on this site regarding this issue than I could ever find locally.
Thank you for your input.
Dan

·
Registered
2009 Legacy
666 Posts
,a

@georgiadog2002
The rear wheel speed sensors have extra connectors behind the rear seat, under the floorboards. Maybe your issue is in that area. Those wheel sensors usually are hall sensors - magnetic sensors that have a pretty high frequency response.
You can probably check them with a multimeter hooked across the sensor with it set to AC. With the wheel turning very slowly, you'd likely see a varying voltage. Don't spin the wheel too fast because most multimeters can only deal with 60Hz or so (the frequency found on your power outlet). It will likely just show zero at high speed because it can't deal with the quick variations between levels.
Since your problem is with the right wheel, measure the left wheel and get an idea what that signal looks like. The levels you'll see will be low - probably less than a volt.
Then do the same on the right wheel. It should give you an idea as to what's going on.

I think wheel sensor issues, when fixed, will clear themselves but it may take a drive cycle or two.

Good luck!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts