Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2009 Forester 2.5 XT
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello guys, want to merge a couple of issues that I have not found answers to, using the search bar in this or other forums:

Facts:

2009 Forester XT
30k real miles
4EAT automatic

Issue #1: Caliper rattle
I have isolated a front rattle to the front calipers. The sound goes away whenever pressing the brakes. Only present on rough pavement. There is a TSB (06-53-16) regarding some Legacy and Outback models with this same issue, although not for the Forester. Should I proceed to repair it with TSB 06-53-16?

Issue #2: Transmission bump
Here´s the scenario: About 20-30% of the time you come to a full stop, then resume acceleration and you can feel a bump from (presumably) the transmission. It feels something like this: Lift off the brakes, then press the accelerator and the car moves a bit sluggishly, then the bump hits, then the car behaves normally.

Other symptoms: the tranny sometimes does not hold on steep hills (you have to use the parking brake, just like a manual car without hill hold!)
On intermediate hills, the engine hesitates sometimes when transitioning quickly from brakes to acceleration. Some warning light flashes briefly (it's like a split second but I think it's the AT temp light) no other warning lights at cold start, warm start or normal operation. No codes from the OBD2 scanner.

Inconvenience #1

On tight slow turns, you can feel a vibration from the wheels, maybe it's the oversize wheels? 225-60-17 vs. factory recommended 215-55-17?

Thanks for any help!

Other from that, driving this car is a blast! Fast as hell, the most stable SUV I've driven and very comfortable ride.

·
Registered
2012 SH Manual Diesel
186 Posts
Has the AT been serviced? If so, what was done, and what was replaced? Genuine or non-genuine parts?

The bump and hill hold, possibly fluid pressure related. Could be the fluid used (quality, spec, age), pump, or solenoids. But also the whole VDCU and TCU can play a part in transmission related symptoms. Eg wheel speed sensors, steering angle sensors, G sensors etc.

·
Registered
2009 Forester 2.5 XT
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you Dogs,
The AT has never been serviced as it has 30k miles only (however the car is 10 years old now) it's running with factory oil, filters, and everything. The oil looks clear and doesn't smell burnt, the fill levels are correct (cold and hot)

Maybe it's the fluid age? Maybe the oversize tires?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts