Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 90 Posts

·
The Sub kit guy
2005 Forester X & XT VF39
13,100 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Like I do every year, I start my season off with some backcountry snowplay! This year I went up to Hyak at Snoqualmie Pass.

There was 10" new snow on top of about 16" that fell the night before. It was 20 degees out and there was a beautiful blue sky with zero wind! You can't get better than that.

When we arrived we got the very first parking spot. The other cars there were people staying in the local cabins. I also got to test out my new winter setup. 225/55/17 iPikes on Tarmac T2s.

Here is the area we planned on hiking up. There use to be a chairlift that runs up it, but a land slide wiped it out last year, so it makes for a great place to hike all season. Since the area is not lift serviced you can get fresh tracks at nearly any time.

The hike up was breaking trail for about 20 minutes until will hit a service road and then we were followed that for about 30 minutes as it switched back and forth of the hill. When we thought we were near the top we broke off and tried to take a "shortcut". 3 feet of fresh powder make the hiking go VERY slow. I definitely should have brought the snow shoes. After a good 45 minutes of that we made it to the top of the ridge.

deep powder hiking...

Once up top we looked for a spot to eat lunch and found an old evelated station of some sort.

I took a couple pix from the look out. this the peaks across the way...

The road down below is I-90 and the area we parked.

The ride down was really tough for my friend. It was his first powder experience, and it was DEEP. I'll post some videos of it soon.

here is a picture looking downfrom about 1/2 way. The coverage is still low, but the powder was deep and soft...

One neat thing at Hyak is someone painted the water tower to look like a beer can. It needs to be touched up, but it is a fun little local thing to see. The picture also shoes my friend Jeff enjoying acouple of powder turns before we get back to the car.

·
Registered
2005 Sequoia, V70R auto
2,885 Posts
Nice man! Looks like fun. How long did it take to get up there? Can't wait to get my stick out too.

·
The Sub kit guy
13,100 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
We started hiking around 8:30am, and arrived at the summit around 10:30am. If we would have stayed on the service road where the hiking was easy I bet we would have made the summit in an hour or so. Hell, the Forester could have probably drove all the way up to the top as the road was well packed and several ski patrol snow mobiles take the road often.

Later in the season I'll hit the spot again and take multiple runs. I'll be in better shape and I now know the road goes up to the summit.

The area we parked was around 2700ft and the summit was just under 4,000ft, so we got about 1300ft of verical in.

·
Registered
2003 XS
13 Posts
so jealous

great pics and vid....you dont even know how jealous i am of you right now...i really need to move...lol...thanks again for sharing your day!

·
The Sub kit guy
13,100 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have better video on my camcorder. I'll get that coverted soon. It took up over 2 hours get down because my friend was new to powder, and it was almost too deep up top.

·
Banned
2007 XT Sports Manual
6,413 Posts
Anyone looking for a limited edition Burton Seven snowboard? I'm thinking about selling it. It's hand painted by Jason Brown and is a 157.

·
Registered
2007 Sports XT
116 Posts
Most definitely... I've heard rumors over the years that they were going to throw a chairlift on Mt. Cathrine, maybe with the landslide it'll give them enough reason.

·
The Sub kit guy
13,100 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Most definitely... I've heard rumors over the years that they were going to throw a chairlift on Mt. Cathrine, maybe with the landslide it'll give them enough reason.
That's a big reason why they did not repair the chair for this season. They are still trying to finalize the permits to expand into that area. Currently the "Summit" pretty much sucks, but they have the potential to be so much more. The new chair at Alpental and a new chair at Hyak would go along way to making it a better place to snowride.

·
Registered
2007 Sports XT
116 Posts
I've always appricated it for what it was, I mean it's dumping and you wanna jam out of work early on a Wednesday for some fresh turns at 4:30, nothing beats riding Wildside at Summit West and having beers at the bar only to bang out some more, specially with no one there! And Aply is sick when Edelweiss and the back is open, not to mention what lays past the last parking lot... It's great having something like that as your "backyard" 30-45mins away!

·
The Sub kit guy
13,100 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
The ALpental BC is pretty sick. I hike back there often. There are quite a few pros and former pros who ride there, so you will see some sick stuff going on. Peter Line has a place across the road and is up at Alpental quite a bit.

·
Registered
2007 Sports XT
116 Posts
I moved to Davis just to be that much closer to Tahoe, and the drive still sucks!

well and errr... for the woman ;)

·
Registered
2014 2.0XT CVT
3,083 Posts
I'd just like to point out for those of us in NJ that snowboard, I hate you guys. We haven't seen a good snowboarding season in a couple years. It's getting a bit ridiculous trying to snowboard in NJ. I managed to go to Whistler last 2 years ago and it was absolutely amazing and I'm still jealous of those that live near there.

·
The Sub kit guy
13,100 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
My Tuesday plans have been pushed back to Thursday. We have heavy rain and high winds in the mountains today and tomorrow with a snow level going up to 6,000ft, but it comes back down Wednesday and it should snow W/TH/F/S/SU. I'll be up at Crystal on Thursday, so hopefully it is good!

·
The Sub kit guy
13,100 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Last night I had to put together a birthday party video my wife shot a few months ago, so I haven't been able to edit my video yet. I'll probably just grab a couple clips tonight and post them real quick tonight.

Thursday I'm heading up the Crystal Mountain, so hopefully I can get some decent pix/video. The snow level didn't go up as high as they thought, so they got 15"' of new snow, instead of a bunch of rain. I'll take that!

·
The Sub kit guy
13,100 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
We have our first fatality of the season already.

Body Of Missing Skier Found At Mount Baker

GLACIER, Wash. -- Searchers found the body of a missing skier at Mount Baker.

The Whatcom County sheriff's office says they found the body of the 54-year-old Coquitlam, British Columbia, man Monday afternoon buried under about 18 inches of snow.

He had been reported missing by his wife who lost sight of him Sunday while she was snowshoeing in the same area.

A deputy, George Ratayczak, told The Bellingham Herald they had decided to turn around due to bad weather when he apparently fell off a cornice and was buried upside down.

It is sad that each year there are atleast 5 people that die at both Mount Baker and Alpental, and there are always a bunch of snowmobile deaths each year in our state. 90% of them are due to people either ignoring or not knowing the avalanche danger, or going solo and getting into trouble with nobody around to help.

Be safe out there people!

1 - 20 of 90 Posts