Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
2009 Forester XT Limited
1,658 Posts
Even if the rears are interchangeable I don't think going from a 16MM to an 18MM is gonna make much difference. I think thats why you don't see aftermmarket producers of these items making anything smaller than 20MM as a starting point. Sounds to me as an OEM 18, unless its free, would be a waste of $$$. Just my .02.

Also if what you say is true, "any (MY) rear will work" then I guess the 2004-2007 STi rear will work and since it is 21MM it will be a significant improvement, since thats the only 1 that Subaru makes...for now. #B2010FE560 (REAR).

· Registered
2009 Forester XT Limited
1,658 Posts
Do you think materials became better over the years, hence why it's so small or at least smaller than previous years? Or do you really think they skimped down on the bar?
If you are talking about the MY09-10 Foz then I don't think materials are any better. I think they just softened the ride to fit the general population. Not everyone wants the FOZ to handle like it is on rails. It appeals to a wide age range of buyer. I just don't understand why Subaru takes sooooo long to come out with performance upgrades but this has been a long term/time debate.

I also noticed in another thread where someone here did the STi WRX rear bar, I think OEM/stock, and the observation was that he would have preferred to go aftermarket/larger.

· Registered
2009 Forester XT Limited
1,658 Posts
I think I follow you now. Skimp on their sports model......well, yes and no. They have put there what will work and give the ability for spirited driving thus 18mm rear but remember they are in the business of selling items to the general public that's why they have 2 lines of A/M parts called STi and SPT. Subaru is not alone in this as most manufacturers do this.....TRD, AMG, etc.

If you really want the true performance out of the box then you are gonna have to step up to the high end of Ferrari, Mercedes, Porsche, Lamborghini, Audi and the like, where you are paying for top of the line parts....very few modifications if any.....well race track mods but then those cars never get driven on the road. Really for wealthy people that just wanna play!!!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts