1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
2009 Forester 2.5x Rusty Bucket
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Purchased 12/2/2020
Miles 129,155
Drove 2 hours 30 minutes. To look at 10 Subarus in northern Ohio. This was the first one I was heading to look at due to location and desire to have a 5sp. 1 hour away I called the small dealer and asked of the car was still there he said yes but iys buried under a foot of snow and behind 2 other cars. You can look at it.bit no way to drive it today..... I said I would like to look at it and and hear ot run. He agreed. Should have taken a picture bit didn't. It was buried. Dealer had partical dug ot out snow was piled up passed the doors half way and over.the bumper on the front due to drifting. Started right after a jump. Engine was quite. I said if you have a shovel I will dig it out. I would like to take it for a test drive. He said are you serious I said yes. Then he said if it drives nice are you going to try to by it and low ball me. I said when it drive nice and I find no major mechanical issues I'm going to offer you 2500 and call it a day. He gave me a dirt look and a shovel. Vehicle had obviously sat without moving for a period of time. Mostly clean body 1 small rust bubble passenger rear fender and other classic rust under the hood and under belly due to sitting without moving. Drove great. I will continue to update and take some pictures. Certainly going to need some advice. This is my first Forester. 5 Subaru 93 legacy wagon, 2005 outback 5MT, 2010 Impreza, 2010 Impreza Outback sport and now 2009 Forester.
20201202_124133.jpg

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
Sahuarita, Arizona USA 2018 Forester Limited
2,434 Posts
Timing belt was due at 105k miles which is a relatively expensive maintenance item. Wonder if that was done? It's an interference engine so if the belt breaks the engine will be internally damaged. Sometimes a CarFax will reveal maintenance that was performed, so ask to see it. Some shops place a sticker under the hood or in a conspicuous place in the engine compartment upon changing the timing belt.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It will get a belt. I have replaced 5 and taken the belt off numerous times for other repairs. $180 I think for the kits.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
PLANNED INITIAL MAINTENANCE
1) Change fluids
--- Oil, transmission, differentials, power steering, coolant, brake fluid. Cluth master cylinder.
2) plugs and wires
3) air filter
4) thermostat
5) snow tires
6) detail the inside
7) next warm day wash and wax
8) timing kit
9) .................

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
CURRENT CONDITION
First drive was 160+ miles, test drive, and drive home
* I know the vehicle sat for several months due to type of rust under the hood and under carriage. I will be slowly addressing those concerns*
  • Clutch feels good
  • Windows, door locks and moon roof work
  • all power outlets work
  • all exterior lights work
  • no pulsation from brakes
  • no wheel bearing noise
  • tires are relatively new (Off brand :Linglong")
  • steering was tight and no body roll noted
----' although strut bearing caps ate very rusted. I will budget to replace in spring
  • no ticks on cold start
  • driver side seat belt sometimes sticks and button has to be pressed to get out
  • hood latch was stuck and would not latch.
------ stop on way home grabbed a can of PB blaster that's fixed for now
  • fuel door release cable is rusted and stuck in the up position so I can put fuel in but door does not close flush
  • E Brake needs adjust does not hold on my sloped drive was out of gear.
  • initially had check engine light P0303 Misfire cylinder 3. After driving for about 30 miles I used my scan tool and cleared the code. It did not come back.
------ I will be doing plugs and wires in a couple days.
- moon roof initially was opening fine but stopping ever 2-3 inches on the close.
------ I jiggled the switch vigorously and now it closes in 2 steps. 3/4 closed the full close.
  • clear coat on wheels has seen better days
  • passenger headlight is heavily oxidized
  • drivers side rear reflector is cracked
  • driver side rear bumper has minor damage
  • rust bubble on passenger rear fender
------ I will cover it with wax for the winter and pulled fender inner liners down I'm spring to treat the rust and re undercoat most of the car.
- minor rust streaks on passenger side from the door handles when the car sat for extended period of time.
------ in the spring I will go over this with rubbing compound and most of it should come out.
- Calipers are very rusty.
------ I will buy caliper rebuild kits and when I replace the brakes I will bead blast and paint the calipers
- lots of surface rust under the hood/engine bay.
----'- I will be slowly removing bead blasting and painting those parts.
- battery is questionable
------but could not get it tested yet due to auto zone whining about some going to get Covid if the came outside. I'm not sure what that was about.
  • windshield wipers replaced.
  • HEET added to fresh tank of gas
-

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
looks great man, I have the exact same trim, but my engine is 2.0 N/A
Thanks. I'm happy with it been wanting a Forester but do miss the wagon. I will be happy to rebuild the wagon engine in the spring and enjoy the Forester 5sp in.the meantime!

·
Registered
2015 Forester 2.5i limited.... currently bone stock
12 Posts
Nice find, i was looking for something like that but Murphy's law put me in the market sooner than i planned and ended up buying a '15 2.5i limited. And loving it too.

Reactions: scoopburt

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Nice find, i was looking for something like that but Murphy's law put me in the market sooner than i planned and ended up buying a '15 2.5i limited. And loving it too.
Yea... Murphy kicked me directly in the testicles. I pulled the engine on my 2005 Outback replaced the head gasket, waterpump, timing and clutch. Drove 5200 miles on an out west education vacation with my daughter and her mom for 10 days. Came home worked a few days. Did the oil change. Drove to work and when I left work the motor ate itself. Towed home pulled oil pan.. it's full of fine metal shavings and the oil had a golden sheen to it. Once things settle down I will be doing an autopsy over on the Subaruoutback.org forum. After the autopsy I will begin the rebuild. I got that Outback at a great price because it was trashed mechanically. $1200 worth of parts and suspension later it ran like a top until......

Anyway, I'm very happy to add the forester to my collection been a long time coming.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Door Seals best friend

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Walk around of the minor issues I will need to take care of. Any suggestion/recommendation of what else to look for would be great. This is my first Forester. I know all vehicles have their gremlins. Plan to keep this car until the wheels fall off. Thanks for any advice.
20201203_144201.jpg
20201203_144030.jpg
20201203_143838.jpg
20201203_143519.jpg
20201203_143338.jpg
20201203_143223.jpg
20201203_143211.jpg
20201203_143207.jpg
20201203_143153.jpg

Attachments

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
GOT A VIBRATION
Any time I accelerate there is a vibration I feel in the car. I feel it in the seat and steering wheel. This happens at all speeds all gears. It stops as soon as you stop pulling. My first thought is harmonic balancer.

Any thoughts. This is my 5th Subaru. I have not experienced this before.

Link to my post in search of answers

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
PRODUCTS I HAVE USED
2020-12-6 Olight Prerun 2 Headlamp

2020-12-6 Dash Camera CAMPARK DC02

2020-12-6 Curt class 3 trailer hitch #13147

2029-12-6 Curt Wiring harness #56040

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
MODIFICATIONS OF INTREST
2020-12-6 adding heated mirrors

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
RESOURCES I RECOMMEND

2020-12-6 LKQ parts

2020-12-6 Local library for service manuals. My local library has access to 2 service manual indexes. One is Chiltons the other is Alldata. Inlogin from home with my library card and I can go through the manuals and print things I need.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
COMPLETED SERVICE, MAINTENANCE and REPAIRS
2020-12-2 (129,347) Wipers
2020-12-3 (129,375) Air Filter
2020-12-6 (129,810) oil changed

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
Double Air Filter???

Okay I replaced the air filter thenother day because it needed done. I noticed a secondary airfter... that is riveted into the airbox... this is my 5th subaru... never seen this before... anyone know why?

Anyway I got all 3 air boxes and compared them. They are all exactly the same construction. The 2005 has a different MAF sensor the 2009 and 2011 have the same. I just put the 2011 box without the "secondary filter" on it. We will see what happens. I have some driving to do later.

I happen to have 3 of my Subarus
2011 Impreza is in the process of being stripped to head to the junk yard.
2005 Outback spun a bearing 2 weeks ago. Will be rebuilding the engine.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts