Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2008 Forester
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On my 2008 FXT the daytime running light burned out (yes, I could have just let it be -who runs drls?) so I decided to change the bulb. Easy. But then a week later I had half a cup of water in the headlight. I should have siliconed the gasket but didn't so that meant pulling the headlight and drying it out. I did and patted myself on the back for such an accomplishment. I put everything back just picture perfect, hard to screw up the plugs because they are keyed to be idiot proof. Next morning car doesn't want to turn over. Had to turn off the stereo, blower and lights and got it going. I usually drive with the headlights on for safety btw. If I turn the lights off the battery charges just fine. Seems like something is sucking power but everything is off. So, wondering really!? This should be pretty straight forward and I did nothing other than change a light bulb. Could there be residual water? But if so how would it drain the battery? Nothing is on in the car when I turn it off. Scooby electrical Gods please help!

Thanks!

2017 2.5i Fozy CVT
1,283 Posts
You haven't confused your car for a submarine? Yet you drain a half cup of water from the housing?

As long as you are pulling 2 amps or less parasitic drain ,you can connect an Amp meter in series between the + or - battery post and related , and disconnected , battery cable to verify any drain through circuitry when everything is off and key removed.

If you do see drain, start pulling fuses until it stops to narrow it down.

All stock circuitry or aftermarket hookup of doodads?

·
Administrator
2016 & 2018 2.5i Premium CVT
19,471 Posts
I can't help with the big problem, but as for the 'DRL bulb'? DRLs on the 2003-2008 SG series are simply the low beam headlight bulbs, operating at less than full brightness by virtue of a resistor in series with the bulb. What bulb are you referring to?

·
Registered
2008 Forester
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
You haven't confused your car for a submarine? Yet you drain a half cup of water from the housing?

As long as you are pulling 2 amps or less parasitic drain ,you can connect an Amp meter in series between the + or - battery post and related , and disconnected , battery cable to verify any drain through circuitry when everything is off and key removed.

If you do see drain, start pulling fuses until it stops to narrow it down.

All stock circuitry or aftermarket hookup of doodads?
This is helpful and will research a how to. This makes sense but I've never done it. As far as aftermarket stuff, yea, there is some of that. Still, this seems pretty straight forward. I didn't cut any wires, I just disassembled and reassembled...

2017 2.5i Fozy CVT
1,283 Posts
When you changed the headlight, were you listening to the stereo? Could be you just drained it.

Battery is how old?
Get it load tested at your FLAPS along with your alternator.

·
Registered
2008 Forester
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Update - I took my car to AutoZone and had them test the battery - low and behold, battery was bad. I purchased my last battery there (in 20112) and was in their system. They replaced the battery and well, happily ever after, now everything works. So the take away is, even though I thought my messing around with the light was the issue, I prolly should have started with the most obvious thing, the battery. It was just coincidence that the battery went bad when I was working on the headlights.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts