Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
2000 Forester S 4EAT & 2008 Impreza WRX 5MT
358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So on our 2008 WRX I had to replace both Banjo/Filters and the passenger side inner timing cover. I got it all back together and started the car and there is a mystery oil look dripping from the passenger side timing cover at the bottom on the seam. I thought it was that big O ring that goes on the cover of the intake cam gear. I pulled both outer timing covers and started the engine. It doesn't look like it's coming from those O rings. I took pictures. You can see the oil to the right of the passenger side cam gears. I'm stuck on where the leak is and need ideas on how to locate the leak.
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive exhaust Rim Automotive wheel system
Hood Motor vehicle Automotive tire Automotive lighting Automotive design

· Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys. I will get back out there later this week and remove the cam gears and inspect the cam seals.

· Registered
06 XT
90 Posts
See if your power steering is leaking or anything up top. I had a similar leak, replaced all front seals and timing gear. Turns out it was just the bloody 'o' ring on the power steering join. Leaks at the top front of the engine seem to run down there.
It was lucky I did it though, the tensioner was all but limp, leaking and about to go. I may have saved the engine by doing that.

· Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
@Emrico1 Thanks for the tip.

Turns out it was a torn lip on the intake cam seal. If you look closely you can see where it's torn. Don't know how I did that, but I guess I will lube up the area on both intake cam gears that slides into those seals.

Automotive tire Vehicle brake Rim Motor vehicle Gas

1 - 6 of 6 Posts