Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2008 Forester Auto
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just purchased my first Subaru Forester last month with the plan of using it to haul the new pup around and to do some car camping in. The current plan is to build a platform across the back as low as possible for maximum height room. After removing the rear seats and stripping out all the foam, there's this plastic box hanging out here. It's taking up a solid 2.5 to 3 inches of height room away from me.

Does anyone know what this is? Can I move it from where it's at? Can I remove it completely?

Searching for box under rear seats doesn't seem to help much.

·
Administrator
2007 Forester Sports XT 4EAT
40,837 Posts
@zwisubi I see this is your first forum post, so welcome to the forum from Oregon!

Curious... I don't have that plastic box in my '07 FSXT! Does it have plugs or connector ports or a part number?

► Edit - it just occurred to me the '08 got the TPMS! I'm going to guess that's the receiver for that system! If that's the case, you can move it as needed as long as your TPMS works... no error light. In addition, you can live without that system... I'm old school, so I monitor my own tire air pressure.

Bobby...

['07 FSXT Member Journal] ['03 X Member Journal]

Reactions: SuperRu

·
Registered
2008 Forester Auto
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the welcome! Always glad to join these forums with the new vehicles and welcoming people!

So I unmounted it and the part number on it is TSTU56. And that seemed to unlock the door to information!

It sure is the TPMS module. Seems like a weird place to run it to lol. Almost felt like it was something that needed to be right in the middle of the car. But that works. I think for now I'm going to run it down into the huge spare tire well and see what happens.

And I did learn when I bought the car that this was the first year they added the TPMS system into the foresters. So maybe you're the lucky one haha.

Cheers.

·
Administrator
2007 Forester Sports XT 4EAT
40,837 Posts
No mention of the TPMS in my Subaru technical service documents for the '06-'08 Forester, so it must have been added late in the '08 model year.

Many members that run different wheels in the winter just cover that warning light with a piece of black tape. It won't affect any of the other systems in the Forester.

Bobby...

['07 FSXT Member Journal] ['03 X Member Journal]

1 - 4 of 4 Posts