Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
98 Acura 2.3CL
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All,

New to the forum. I'm looking for a new car and pretty much sold on the Forester as the best option for quality, utility, and price.

However, it looks like there was significant re-design between the 08 and 09 model. I test drove a 2010 XT today: It looked nice and had a great interior. Power was adequate, but somewhat lagging. Corning and braking were okay, but I was hoping for a little more. Also disappointed in the lack of an XT manual.

I haven't had the option to test drive an 06-08 model, so I was hoping some of you have had experience with both, and could talk to the pros and cons of each. How significant are the differences in handling and agility compared with the newer models? (I do like to drive aggressively). Is the back seat in the older model adequate for a 4 person 1000 mile road trip?

What about the internal design? I have read there may have been backwards steps by Subaru (namely with suspension) in the '09+ models to try and capture more American market.

It seems people either really love the redesign, or completely hate it. Is it really that big of a difference in handling between the two? Thanks for your inputs.

·
Registered
2016 Forester XT AT
1,295 Posts
Do some searching around the site, this as you may imagine, been discussed to death.

When I bought my 09, what 08's were still on dealers lots were being discounted by $4-6,000 so I took a good long look at an 08. But I found it wanting in several ares, one being the back seat. My young teen son was not a happy camper back there when he was sitting behind me.

I also found the 09 to have overall much more space, not only for passengers, but behind the rear seat as well. Some of this extra space in the back can be attributed to the change in rear suspension, allowing more room.

Are these changes good or bad? Only you can tell. For me, it was a no brainer, 09 all the way.

·
Registered
2009 Forester 2.5x
702 Posts
I haven't had the option to test drive an 06-08 model, so I was hoping some of you have had experience with both, and could talk to the pros and cons of each. Is the back seat in the older model adequate for a 4 person 1000 mile road trip? QUOTE]

. yes, so long as 2 of them are from Munchkinville.
Steve
09 2.5X AT

·
Registered
2005 Impreza RS Wagon Auto
3,658 Posts
I haven't had the option to test drive an 06-08 model, so I was hoping some of you have had experience with both, and could talk to the pros and cons of each. Is the back seat in the older model adequate for a 4 person 1000 mile road trip? QUOTE]

Steve
09 2.5X AT
Get an Outback if you want space in the back for Adults.:Banane35:

·
Registered
2017 Foz 2.5i CVT
1,829 Posts

Steve
09 2.5X AT
With the front seat all the way back in the '08 and earlier models, I could not even get my foot into the rear seat. I am 6'2" and will NOT compromise my front seat position on a 1000 mile trip.

Today, my wife and I drove my '09 with my 6'4" son in the back seat to a bike race, about 350 miles round trip. My son was just fine in the back seat.

If you want 4 comfortable adult humans in the car, get the '09 or later model. I never considered the earlier Foz because of the silly small back seat. I bought the '09 a few days after trying the interior on for size in the showroom (April '08)...now we've got 32k miles on it.

George

·
Registered
57 Posts
The first and second generation Forester have back seats that are just not good for adults:shake: I am not that tall and even I felt cramped sitting in the back.

2009+ Forester is the one to get if you need to drive people around. It's the only Forester I think where kids will not outgrow the back seat as they get older.

·
Registered
1998 Cayenne GTS 6speed
1,751 Posts
If you need space and comfort in the back seat - get '09. If you value performance (FUN) over comfort - get '08.

·
Registered
2009 Forester XT Limited
376 Posts
I have never been in an 08 but I can tell you that the back seat in the 09 is comfortable enough that even I wouldn't mind if I had to ride back there, mainly due to the leg room and the fact that the seat leans back some, it is really nice, good luck with the choice.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts