Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2008 Forester Automatic
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everyone,

I just bought my first 2008 Subaru Forester, and I've been researching the maintenance required around 100k miles. The car currently has 96k miles, and I understand it needs a timing belt overhaul at 105k miles. My understanding from reading the forums is it can cost as much as $1,000, and a lot of that is labor cost. I have read the alldata.com procedure, and I've looked at some videos of other year replacements. I am very mechanically capable, but I haven't replaced a timing belt before. I have a few questions:

- Is this something that is worth me trying to do myself?
-What are the consequences of doing this wrong?
-Anyone have any resources/procedures for replacing a 2008 Forester timing belt?
-Anyone have any advice?

Thanks,
Jeff

·
Registered
2003 Forester XS auto
640 Posts
-if it goes wrong, the motor will self destruct, valves will hit pistons
-the 2008 belt replacement is the same as all years SOHC belt replacement, this is the beauty of the Subaru EJ25, its a long lived motor used in many subaru variants.
- put pistons in the service position, where all 4 pistons are mid stroke, crank pulley finger with the stamped line is at 12 o'clock lined up with the line on the block, make sure all timing marks are lined up, beware the drivers side cam pulley will probably turn on you, just turn the cam pulley back to the correct location. it is IMPERATIVE you replace the belt, water pump, tensioner and idlers.

the best clip on youtube is briansmobile1 clip

·
Registered
2008 forester auto
1 Posts
Hi Everyone,

I just bought my first 2008 Subaru Forester, and I've been researching the maintenance required around 100k miles. The car currently has 96k miles, and I understand it needs a timing belt overhaul at 105k miles. My understanding from reading the forums is it can cost as much as $1,000, and a lot of that is labor cost. I have read the alldata.com procedure, and I've looked at some videos of other year replacements. I am very mechanically capable, but I haven't replaced a timing belt before. I have a few questions:

- Is this something that is worth me trying to do myself?
-What are the consequences of doing this wrong?
-Anyone have any resources/procedures for replacing a 2008 Forester timing belt?
-Anyone have any advice?

Thanks,
Jeff
Have you replaced your timing belt yet?
I just finished mine about 2 hours ago!
2008 Forester 2.5 non turbo automatic 100,228 miles

·
Registered
2006 X Premium
448 Posts
I purchased and installed the Gates timing belt (TCKWP304B) kit in May 2011 and 30K+ miles later, no issues at all.
My advice: Buy the kit and install the belt, pulleys, tensioner and water pump.
Don't forget the distilled water and Subaru coolant and conditioner because you're going to have to flush and refill the radiator.

The most important thing is to take your time and employing an extra set of hands couldn't hurt. There are many how-to's available and while the job is not very technical, it will take a couple of hours for a first timer.

Good luck and let us know how it goes.

·
Registered
2015 Forester 6MT
35 Posts
I did this about 2k miles ago on my Forester. I went with the Gates kit, which had all OEM idlers and tensioner (~$200).

The hardest part was getting all the two lower idlers in after the belt was on. Just take your time and you'll do fine. As long as the crank is in the service position there really isn't anything you can do to screw it up

I followed this guide, which has pictures of everything:

DIY: SOHC Timing Belt Change w/ Pics! - Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community: RS25.com

There are plenty of people here willing to help if you run into trouble

·
Registered
2008 Forester Automatic
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for all the great input. I've watched a ton of videos and I'm feeling very confident I can get it done. Car has 99k miles now, so I figure it is time to start ordering parts. Anyone have any recommendations for where I should buy the parts and what manufacturer I should use? I'm guessing it doesn't make a lot of difference, but I thought I would check.

Also, the video in the first post said he almost never replaces the tensioner, but in the same string you said I should replace the tensioner. Any thoughts? I'll probably replace the tensioner just to be safe anyway.

·
Registered
2005 Forester X 5MT MT
66 Posts
The tensioner and idlers may look fine now at 105K but the question to ask is how will they be at 210K.
Replace it all...

·
Registered
2015 Forester 6MT
35 Posts
The Gates kit comes with all OEM idlers and tensioner. It costs around $200. No reason not to do them

·
Registered
2008 Foreste standart
2 Posts
I looking to replace timing belt kits good quality ?
Not made in China !!!!,

1 - 9 of 9 Posts