Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
2017 Forester XT Touring
1,067 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an FXT Limited and the grille isn't my favorite part. That said, I am thinking of going with the STi grille. But I wanted to see if any of you have done anything custom to yours to make it look a bit more pleasing that may be another alternative.

Throw up those pics of your front grille and lets get a comparison going.

(P.S. If anyone is selling their STi grille, PM me :icon_wink: )

·
Registered
2007 Forester XT ltd.
2,633 Posts

·
BLUE WASABI, (#2 Info Provider)
2008 SG Model D
9,051 Posts
Grille or Grill?

haha...bling, baby!:icon_rolleyes:

Anyways, I have the stock forester sport grill and one of these days I will put my FSTi grill on that is waiting patiently for me w/ all my other mods.:icon_wink:

·
Registered
2017 Forester XT Touring
1,067 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Here's my little thread on it and if you search through the "Black Forester" thread in Member's Gallery I've got tons more pics.

I now have an STi grill which I like MUCH more, though.

http://www.subaruforester.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=16053
Looks really nice. Did you go over it a few times with a flat black and then some clear coats?

and I think there's some other pics if you scroll down a bit.

http://www.subaruforester.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=19262
As far as your front lights in the second link, besides the eyelid, did you separate the light housing and paint the inside black?

Also I can't tell, but in the thread about you tinting your rear lights and putting on the eyelids, is your front grille painted black (or did that happen after you did the tinting)?

Grille or Grill?
LOL - nice picture! But hey, it can be spelled either way :biggrin:

·
Registered
2006 2.5 NA Bean
7 Posts
I went the easy (re:cheap) rout on my '06. I masked and spray painted black the chrome areas and then clear coated the grille. One roll of painter's tape - $4, Two cans of paint - $7, Self-Satisfaction - Priceless :icon_biggrin:

'06 L.L. BEAN NA

Attachments

·
Registered
2006 2.5 NA Bean
7 Posts
Sorry folks, I meant to include this photo as well. The clear coat causes reflections so I'm not sure this angle/lighting does it justice though. As you can tell it is a balmy day today here in Wisconsin .....currently -4 F with lots of snow!!

'06 L.L. BEAN NA

Attachments

·
Registered
05MY Second SG6 4EAT > JDM 5MT
5,684 Posts
here's what i did to my chrome SF grille (just to get an idea):

flat black with clear cloat

in the garage

outside in sunlight

i sprayed the mesh part flat black as well, but with no clear coat. i eventually want to get the JDM grille.

_taF

·
Ol' Timer
2006 WRX Spec-C 6MT
5,963 Posts
Hmm... Might have to pick up some Plasti-dip and spray my grill...

Has anyone with an 03-05 plasti-dip sprayed their grill?? Do you guys think it'll hold up? Any suggestions?

·
Registered
2017 Forester XT Touring
1,067 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
These look great. I am so over the idea of buying a Sports or STi grille. I think next weekend I will spend one day sanding and putting on multiple coats of flat black (with two coats of clear).

Thanks!

1 - 20 of 54 Posts