Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2008 Forester X auto
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Like the subject line says, I get a screeching noise under hard acceleration on the highway but not when revving in the driveway. What would cause this under load only? I also have a little bit of coolant disappearing. Related? Is my water pump going? But why no noise in the driveway?

·
Registered
non-subaru
911 Posts
Could be belt related. Sometimes they make noise under different circumstances.
Get some baby powder and hose the belts down with it. Then take it for a drive. It the screeching disappears, it is one of the belts. If it doesn't, it is something else.

Note, I'm not suggesting baby powder is a permanent fix for a slipping or bad belt. It won't last longer than a drive or two, but makes for a good diagnostic tool.

Edit: then work you way around to anything with a bearing. IF you can get it to happen while stationary, buy an automotive stethoscope and probe around. If it seems to really only happen while you're driving, I'd start looking at wheel bearings.

·
Registered
2008 Forester X auto
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Could be belt related. Sometimes they make noise under different circumstances.
Get some baby powder and hose the belts down with it. Then take it for a drive. It the screeching disappears, it is one of the belts. If it doesn't, it is something else.

Note, I'm not suggesting baby powder is a permanent fix for a slipping or bad belt. It won't last longer than a drive or two, but makes for a good diagnostic tool.

Edit: then work you way around to anything with a bearing. IF you can get it to happen while stationary, buy an automotive stethoscope and probe around. If it seems to really only happen while you're driving, I'd start looking at wheel bearings.
Well that's the thing... it only happens under hard acceleration. It doesn't matter the speed, it squeels only under hard acceration. It is non-existent if I drive a bit more gently.

·
Registered
non-subaru
911 Posts
This is an automatic, right? Most cars nowadays are... A MT opens up an entirely other page of possibilities.
Turbo?

If the speed doesn't matter, what happens when you do the same but in a lower gear?

I'd first try the baby powder trick. It is cheap, easy and may accuse or excuse the belts as being the problem.

·
Registered
2008 Forester X auto
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
This is an automatic, right? Most cars nowadays are... A MT opens up an entirely other page of possibilities.
Turbo?

If the speed doesn't matter, what happens when you do the same but in a lower gear?

I'd first try the baby powder trick. It is cheap, easy and may accuse or excuse the belts as being the problem.
I'll buy a can of belt dressing and test it out. I might even have some in the shed...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.