Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2008 Forester
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone,

I'm glad I found this forum! My daughter who just got her first job out of college just purchased a 2008 Forester from an individual. Outside and inside it is in excellent condition and it comes with a long maintenance history of receipts, so mechanically is in pretty good shape. However it spent all it's life in the North east, so I got worried about rust. I put it up on some ramps and there is rust everywhere, but most of it seems like surface rust, except in the two areas on the rear where it is pretty bad. The picture are from under the rear door jambs.

What do people think? Is this a safety concern? Fixable by someone who knows how to weld? We are not looking to keep it for another 10 years... She needs to get 3 years or so out of this car and will still be driving in the snow.

Thanks for any advice!
Plant Wheel Tire Vehicle Automotive tire
Tire Wheel Motor vehicle Automotive tire Wood
Automotive tire Wood Tread Motor vehicle Font

·
Registered
2008 LL Bean (4EAT)
5,179 Posts
... 2008 Forester... spent all it's life in the North east... there is rust everywhere, but most of it seems like surface rust, except in the two areas on the rear where it is pretty bad... Is this a safety concern? Fixable by someone who knows how to weld?...
It looks terrible, but unless a suspension part is compromised, is probably not unsafe. Check the front control arms, as there was recall to paint or replace them.

Article:

The recall:

One of several forum threads:

·
Registered
2008 Forester
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you! I spent some more quality time under the car and I did check the control arms up front. They look almost new, so they must have been replaced/painted. I poked around this bad rust area and it is only the sill. All the structural parts seem sound. I think there might have been the pinch weld where one can lift the car and that must have gotten scratch/dented. If I shine a light into the hole where the sill should be, about an 1-2" up you see rust free clean paint. I could try a body shot to cut out the rust and weld a sill back on. Or I'm wondering if I should just cut out the jagged parts and then put a rust blocker like Por-15 and call it a day...

·
Registered
2008 LL Bean (4EAT)
5,179 Posts
... I could try a body shot to cut out the rust and weld a sill back on. Or I'm wondering if I should just cut out the jagged parts and then put a rust blocker like Por-15 and call it a day...
Looks like someone put the jack on the pinch weld instead of around it.
I don't know if you can buy a sill as a part. The POR-15 looks easy and effective.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts