Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2008 Forester
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The battery drained down and there was an electrical (overheating) smell on the interior of the car. Jumped the car and got it started, realized the right front and rear turn signals were on- solid not blinking and would not go out even with the car turned off. Pulled all sorts of fuses and the one that shut off the right turn signals was the interior lights/ clock. This fuse shut down the radio and remote door locks as well (the electric door locks still work from the inside). All other functions are working including the turn signals and hazard lights.

This is a 2008 Forester, any ideas on what to look for? The radio, interior lights, clock, remote fob was all working with the fuse in, the only thing not working was the right turn signal and hazard lights.

·
Premium Member
2008 XS 4EAT
9,823 Posts
First Welcome, hope we can help.

Could this be related to what is often referenced as "the battery kill-switch"? http://www.subaruforester.org/vbulletin/f88/help-i-can-t-turn-off-my-parking-lights-798/

Check that out and the reason why your signals "parking lights" are always on. By the way I'm thinking the left front signal/parking light might just be burnt out.

Others will be along, it's the weekend so things move a little slower when it comes to responses.

**Confused by two statements you make that seem to contradict each other. In the last paragraph you say "only thing not working was the right turn signal and hazard lights." and in the paragraph above it you say "All other functions are working including the turn signals and hazard lights." .???

·
Registered
2008 Forester
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I wish it were that easy, I like the term 'battery drain switch' I noticed in the forum! No I am guessing there is a short somewhere under the dash but I'm not super informed on electrical systems. Not sure why the right side turn signals would stay on even after the turn signal fuse is pulled. The other thing no aftermarket work involving electrical systems have been done. The last thing is the car was in and had the timing belt changed.

Thanks!

·
Registered
2008 Forester
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Also.... to clear up the confusion in my original post: the flashers and right turn signal did not work until I pulled the fuse for the interior lights. After that fuse was pulled then the turn signal and flashers started working.

·
Premium Member
2008 XS 4EAT
9,823 Posts
"I wish it were that easy", me too. We'll have to wait for the electrical wiz's to contribute their wisdom.
Do you know or have you changed out the OEM radio to something else?
And do you have access to a battery charger to fully charge the battery? If not ask your friends and neighbours and see if someone can lend you one, even if you have to remove the battery and take it inside to charge. In my opinion you'll never fully charge a dead battery solely by driving it.

Don't have my owners manual here but check the fuses and relays under the hood. I can't recall without the manual or looking but on the underside of the cover is a diagram of what's what.

·
Registered
2 Posts
@wam
Where you able to figure out this answer? this is happening to me. I know this is an old forum.. but hey im deperate to figure this out! My battery was draining and couldnt figure out why. Then all of a sudden my front and rear RIGHT ONLY turning signal is frozen to ON. even with the keys removed, engines off. I've had to pull the bulbs out for now.

·
Administrator
18,740 Posts
G'day & Welcome @Newyorker19a
The OP has not been seen here since creating this thread. Maybe these threads can help:

·
Registered
3 Posts
@wam
Where you able to figure out this answer? this is happening to me. I know this is an old forum.. but hey im deperate to figure this out! My battery was draining and couldnt figure out why. Then all of a sudden my front and rear RIGHT ONLY turning signal is frozen to ON. even with the keys removed, engines off. I've had to pull the bulbs out for now.
Did you figure this out? I have the same problem.

·
Registered
2 Posts
@Ben......
Nope! Im going to try to replace the flasher relay and go from there. I've found no help at all on this one. Just similiar issues begging to be solved. Good luck! If you find the answer please share I wouldn't want anyone else to deal with this craziness!

Oh and I have had to take my turn signal bulbs out and jump my battery every day so...

·
Administrator
2016 & 2018 2.5i Premium CVT
19,924 Posts
The switch for emergency flashers is deeply embedded in the circuitry for both emergency flashing of all four bulbs whether key is off or on, and normal use of directionals when key is on. That might be part of the problem.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Nope! Im going to try to replace the flasher relay and go from there. I've found no help at all on this one. Just similiar issues begging to be solved. Good luck! If you find the answer please share I wouldn't want anyone else to deal with this craziness!

I have pulled all my relays and fuses to no avail. I have found one page on the net that discusses this issue exactly but its from a trouble shooter perspective and asks the reader to solve the issue 🙄. I have no problem trying to sort out the issue but the electrical diagrams in the article are blurry and impossible to read. Maybe you would have better luck. I'm pretty sure this is a short to ground issue which complete circuit but not 100% sure and there is a lot of wire to look at, so I'll let you know if I figure it out. Here is a link to the article if you are interested.

The switch for emergency flashers is deeply embedded in the circuitry for both emergency flashing of all four bulbs whether key is off or on, and normal use of directionals when key is on. That might be part of the problem.
Maybe. Do you think if it did fuse on it would be blinking? The 4 way switch still works for the left blinker. But the right remains solid on (not blinking)

·
Administrator
2007 Forester Sports XT 4EAT
42,024 Posts
@Ben...... @Newyorker19a please complete your "Public Profile - add your vehicle details!
Bobby...

['07 FSXT Member Journal] ['03 X Member Journal]

·
Administrator
2016 & 2018 2.5i Premium CVT
19,924 Posts
Here's the wiring diagram from my previous 2003, the first year of the SG series. Your 2008 is the last year, but I would suspect that they hadn't changed anything in this part of the setup.

You can see that the hazard switch at the upper left corner of the diagram has lots and lots of connections going through it. And there's also a 'module' over at the right. Those are totally undocumented and quite inscrutable.

You might be able to find the switch at a junkyard for a dollar or two.

Good luck.

Attachments

·
Registered
3 Posts
I pulled the hazard control module right out and the signal light and control module light and and signal light stay on. 🤷

1 - 14 of 14 Posts