Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been fighting the P0420 now for a few months and have come to the conclusion that the cat needs replaced, most likely due to the headgaskets leaking at 110K.
I have looked at the following: A Walker Universal that may work (~$90), a DNA Motoring Cat (~210), and an "OE Style" for ~$193.

Which would you buy? I am leaning towards the universal, but wonder if anyone has a better recommendation based on their experience.

Attachments

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
So has anyone successfully installed just the catalytic portion or has everyone replace the entire assembly??

·
Administrator
2007 Forester Sports XT 4EAT
36,360 Posts
@SPUTMAN cutting out & installing a new front CAT looks complicated. Unless you're going to do the fabrication & welding, the cost to have a muffler shop, if they'd do it, could cost as much as a complete aftermarket assembly?

Other than the P0420 CEL code, are you having any other issues, like poor engine performance or reduced gas mileage?

Bobby...

['07 FSXT Member Journal] ['03 X Member Journal]

·
Administrator
2007 Forester Sports XT 4EAT
36,360 Posts

·
Registered
2010 Forester Premium X AT
992 Posts
Given the expense of a CAT replacement, have you looked at your MAF sensor? I only mention this because in troubleshooting a different issue on my 2010, messing with the MAF threw P0420 codes. If you havent cleaned it ever, maybe consider doing so, or at least looking at your fuel trims to see how things are operating. I think a lot of times, on a high mileage cat, it might not take much of a problem in fuel delivery to throw a code.

When I was thinking of replacing my CAT, I was going to go with the walker direct fit.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts