Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2008 Forester 2.5X Prem. 5spd MT
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I pulled off my air cleaner to get to the spark plugs (just to check what the shop put in last november -- FR5AP-11 plugs apparently) and noticed some odd filter thing on the underside of the top part of the air cleaner, so downstream from the air filter (sits on top of it). I pried the thing off with a screwdriver just to relieve the restriction. Engine feels more responsive at lower rpm's and seems to haul harder at >2.5K RPM (very noticeable there), and after looking at the shop manual PDF's I noticed that's some kind of "HC adsorption filter" probably to collect hydrocarbons from the intake plenums so they can truly say it's a "PZEV" vehicle. Anyway I doubt I'll see any check engine lights out of this but I'm going to monitor it.

·
Registered
2001 SOLD!
1,413 Posts
Exactly, It is there to trap evaporating fuel into the atmosphere through the intake manifold. Yes with this filter your car will be more sluggish. Why did you buy a PZEV if you removed this filter?:shrug: PZEV=Tree Hugger!!!!

·
Registered
2008 Forester 2.5X Prem. 5spd MT
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Lived in PA at the time, and PA requires PZEV emissions for all new cars. Had no choice ;)

Don't live in PA anymore, although I don't care (it's not like the yearly emissions inspection would care)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts