Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2008 SUBARU FORESTER XT
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
this problem has been really hard with me and my wallet. and it basically started 5 weeks ago, i was going in a roadtrip with my family in a long uphill section i saw the temp gauge going up (very close to the 3/4 line), i continued driving since some cars i had before liked to do this when going uphill but never went above the 3/4 line. but the temp went up even more so i stopped the car and had it towed to the nearest dealer (very bad experience if ur whole family is with you...) since this a lot of thing had been changed
-head gaskets
-radiator
-rad caps (both 137 and 108 kpa)
-water pump
-radiator hoses
-new coolant (oem)
the problem is still present and taking in mind the appreciation this car now has from my wife and kids i really want to fix it or know if this is normal in the ej255 (a friend has a ej205 on his forester problem never happened to him) i still have to replace other parts as part of the 100k miles maintenance such as
-fuel pump
-fuel filter
-boost controller
i know that the fuel pump can cause some overheating . so should i go with it or continue trying to find the problem?
as far as fuel pump goes im trying to find an oem one or a walbro unit.
or from u guys experience what else could this be ?
(sorry if my english is bad it is not my main languaje)

·
Registered
2009 FXT
167 Posts
Were your cylinder heads inspected when they were off?
A leak down test might be helpful. See if any air is getting in the cooling system.

·
Registered
2008 SUBARU FORESTER XT
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Were your cylinder heads inspected when they were off?
A leak down test might be helpful. See if any air is getting in the cooling system.
yes they inspected them and machined them. the leak down test was done 200 miles after the fix result was negative no air.

·
Registered
2008 SUBARU FORESTER XT
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
@Kevin i know that they are switching on but i have never seen the second speed show up. they are in the right direction for what i know. but the subaru "dealers" are not very talented here for some reason so they may have caused a little problem when they replaced them alongside the radiator

·
Registered
2010 X Limited, 2.5L NA, 4AT. Purchased as the second owner in 2020 with ~126K miles.
525 Posts
Clean the radiator fins and condenser, if present.
Replace your temperature sensor or verify it's operation.

There is a test connector on my car under the passenger side dash (USDM) that can be plugged together. I think that fires up the cooling fans.

·
Registered
09 Forester 2.5X Premium AT w/o Turbo
5 Posts
Check that the radiator fans are switching on - and - rotating in the right direction ;)
i know that they are switching on but i have never seen the second speed show up. they are in the right direction for what i know. but the subaru "dealers" are not very talented here for some reason so they may have caused a little problem when they replaced them alongside the radiator
Rad fans engage at highway speeds under special circumstances. I’d imagine the overheating would be an issue in stop and go driving, if the rad fans were the culprit.

OP, since you’ve essentially had the whole cooling system serviced and most parts replaced, it’s unusual to still be overheating.

You mention that the Subaru techs there are lacking a bit, perhaps they left air in the system when refilling the coolant? Did you notice any difference at all since you had all that work done?

·
Registered
2017 Forester 2.5 Premium, Black
127 Posts
Didnt mention if the coolant level is low. If so. check the hose clamps. They may need to be retightened. In other words, chase the low hanging fruit first.

·
Registered
2017 Forester XT Touring EyeSight
845 Posts
I don't have anything helpful to add about your particular car, but readers in general should know that "temperature gauges" in modern cars (say, the last 30 years or so) are actually more like warning lights than we might think. They are designed to point to just one point in "the middle" of the temperature range cold to hot at a wide range of actual engine temperatures which are considered normal and acceptable. For instance, perhaps above 160 deg F and below 240 deg F (70C-115C) the gauge reads exactly the same. The needle points below there to tell you that you're not warmed up, don't go fast; and points above there, to show you something has gone really wrong. In the good old days my 1970s water cooled VW had a temperature gauge that actually moved around, both up and down, all the time as I drove. You could see when you were reaching the point at which the radiator fan would switch on to its one-and-only (loud and fast) speed. I kind of miss this... But it helps me accept the complete lack of a gauge in my '17 Forester, which just has blue and red idiot lights.

·
Registered
2008 SUBARU FORESTER XT
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Rad fans engage at highway speeds under special circumstances. I’d imagine the overheating would be an issue in stop and go driving, if the rad fans were the culprit.

OP, since you’ve essentially had the whole cooling system serviced and most parts replaced, it’s unusual to still be overheating.

You mention that the Subaru techs there are lacking a bit, perhaps they left air in the system when refilling the coolant? Did you notice any difference at all since you had all that work done?
they did. it vas burped about 200 miles ago when i did the leak down test in a more experienced place since most dealer do not know how the turbo EJ's are burped.
in terms of difference yes. since the fix the car feels a little more powerful since the old HG were failing and some compression was being lost, but that where things end

·
Registered
2008 SUBARU FORESTER XT
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Didnt mention if the coolant level is low. If so. check the hose clamps. They may need to be retightened. In other words, chase the low hanging fruit first.
all the hoses and clamps are brand new, replaced alongside the radiator and fans, coolant does not seem to be leaking and level is always full

·
Registered
2008 SUBARU FORESTER XT
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
i forgot to mention but the temp sensor has not been changed since it seemed to not be the problem, i will try to order one to see if the problem fixes. alongside the fuel pump is also going to be replaced as the 100k miles maintenance, also the boost controller (the turbo is not loading all the intended 12 psi, only 8)

·
Registered
09 Forester 2.5X Premium AT w/o Turbo
5 Posts
they did. it vas burped about 200 miles ago when i did the leak down test in a more experienced place since most dealer do not know how the turbo EJ's are burped.
in terms of difference yes. since the fix the car feels a little more powerful since the old HG were failing and some compression was being lost, but that where things end
Hmmm... Again, given that the Subaru techs were messing up the simple things, what are the odds they reused your old thermostat?

·
Registered
2012 Forester 4 speed auto
1,169 Posts
I bet 20 deutschemarks that the thermostat is the wrong temperature range. I believe the correct one is 170F or 76C. You might have the 185F or 190F. It shouldn't be too hard to check.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts