Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

2008 - OK to remove heat shield above muffler?

('06-'08) 
5K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  tcsubie24 
#1 ·
I'm trying to diagnose some nasty rear end rumbling, and came across the rear-most heatshield (the one with 4 bolts, above the muffler and hanging between muffler and gas tank).

Two of the bolts had rust around them and the tin was rattling loose something fierce! Is it OK to remove this heat shield and not replace? I took it off, but those two bolts were rusted tight and the raised metal they attach to ended up twisting...I've read tons of "lets remove all the heatshield" posts on the forums, but haven't found one yet that addresses this heat shield specifically, and I'm kinda worried about the gas tank being right there, as well as the rear cargo area getting more heat (I have a sub amp in the styrofoam area).

#2 ·
Regardless of gas tank above the shield or not, I would not remove any heatshields, carpet can catch on inside the car plus gas is nothing to play with around fire or exhaust heat. ;-) Find a way to reinstall a proper heatshield....I hate road salting, that's what AWD, chains and snow tires are made for.

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.