Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just picked up a broken 2008 Subaru forester(manual) for cheap and have some electrical issues, I have no power to following fuses: (inside fuse box)meter, wiper, back, radio audio, illumination, srs airbag, tail clearance, mirror(motor compartment fuse box: no power to LH RH light fuses) . There does however seem to be power to all the other fuses, this is all with the ignition key in the on position. No fuses are blown and have been removed/ohm tested, this includes the main fuses in the engine compartment, all have been removed and ensured are not blown. the fuses simply are not getting power to them.

I have also checked all the relays I can find.

The starter does not crank unless the starter is bypassed with a switch to the battery.

Any ideas?

·
Super Moderator
2007 Forester Sports XT 4EAT
35,970 Posts
@Mike.sey I see this is your first forum post, so welcome to the forum from Oregon!

Did you verified the bolted in fuse, SBF-1, in the engine compartment fuse box is good, not blown?

Also...
For the best forum experience, we recommend completing your "Account Details". The optional information you enter there will display when members click "About" in your forum profile. You can also create a custom "Signature" that will display every time you make a forum post. The optional additional information you provide could mean getting forum member replies, or not.
Bobby...

['07 FSXT Member Journal] ['03 X Member Journal]

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
@2.5x_sleeper Thanks, Colorado here. Yes, the main bolted in fuse has continuity from one side to the other. I have power to some things like the dome light, hazard lights, door locks, etc.

let me know if you have any other questions.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
@2.5x_sleeper Yes ignition key is in the on position when testing, maybe there is a relay or something I am missing. When I turn the key I do not hear any clicks or anything happening. I own another forester and it does not respond the same way when the key is turned on.

Another thing to note: The car had some splices to the ignition wires and an additional plug added, probably used for modding. I have removed that stuff and am bringing it back to OEM condition.

·
Super Moderator
35,970 Posts
The ignition relay provides much of the heavy ON position power (+12V). The confusion is that some of those other circuits you refer to operate in the ACC position, like the audio, which doesn't go thru the ignition relay?

Bobby...

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
@2.5x_sleeper Correct this confuses me as well.

I have combed through all the wires under the dash, I do not see anything unplugged or anything else out of order that I can tell. What tests 12+v on my 2003 forester does not match up with 2008 with ignition to ACC.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
@2.5x_sleeper is does not operate and I have switched it out. Is that the one on the passenger side under the dash? Thats the one i hear on my other forester.
20191202_220143.jpg

·
Super Moderator
35,970 Posts
There's the reason most of those circuits are missing +12V... dead!

You could have a bad ignition switch? Do you have the wiring diagram for the ignition switch & ignition relay?

Bobby...

·
Registered
26 Posts
@2.5x_sleeper I think you are right unless somebody hooked up the battery cables backwards and killed some stuff, even then the fuses should have protected the electronics. I can pull the ignition switch/key cylinder out and replace it if needed. I do not have the wiring diagrams for 2006-2008, I have been unable to locate them without purchasing a subscription.

could there have been a modification to ECU data to affect the ignition?

The current engine is seized and I have a replacement but am reluctant to do anything with it until I solve this electrical stuff.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
@2.5x_sleeper It is a Forester X model with SOHC engine. It had this cable spliced into the ignition wires, which was removed. I am confused about why somebody would add these mods to this car. I really appreciate your help, I will see what I can find tomorrow.
20191202_224350.jpg

·
Super Moderator
35,970 Posts
Perhaps a remote start? Was that connected to a device?

As to your other question. If the battery jump cable was reversed, normally that blows that bolted in SBF-1 fuse & surprisingly, no additional damage!

Bobby...

This is the wiring diagram page that shows the ignition switch & ignition relay. This is for the 06-'08, but should be pretty close to the '03-'04 wiring diagram, especially for the nonturbo.

·
Super Moderator
35,970 Posts
The battery, +12V into the ignition switch (W) - white wire ► [1], comes from SBF-4, 50A fuse in the engine compartment fuse box.

If you have +12V at the ignition switch, then when it's turned on, you should have +12V on the ignition relay (G) - green wire ► [13] ► relay coil ►[11] ► (B) - black wire ► to ground, -12V. The ignition relay should operate.

Bobby...

·
Super Moderator
35,970 Posts
@Mike.sey that thin wire is interesting. Where that did that connect?

Those heavier cutoff wires, curious where they were attached? Were they "tapped" or "inserted" onto the factory wiring?

Just want to make sure anything you removed, the wiring was restored as it came from the factory.

Bobby...

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
@Mike.sey that thin wire is interesting. Where that did that connect?

Those heavier cutoff wires, curious where they were attached? Were they "tapped" or "inserted" onto the factory wiring?

Just want to make sure anything you removed, the wiring was restored as it came from the factory.

Bobby...
View attachment 526934
They were attached right before the ignition switch, 4 wires connected to the ignition switch and 1 grounded out. See picture: each red arrow indicates a connection to that plug, minus the ground. The thin purple wire connected to one of the ignition switch wires, see picture.

I do need to do a better job of eliminating all the splices, I will also check for 12V power soon.
20191203_165211 copy.jpg

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
@2.5x_sleeper So I do NOT have +12V power on the white wire to the ignition switch, so I guess I should trace that wire back and see where the disconnect is. That should be fun, I will start removing the drive side fender, which was replaced due to an accident and open up some of the wire bundles.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts