Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2008 XT auto
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

Is it possible to install the original HID kit into a replacement halogen headlights set?

From the pictures it looks like the ballast housing just need to be cut open, but I have no idea regarding the lamp fixtue. Can I remove it from my old headlights and just install them in new set?

·
Administrator
2007 Forester Sports XT 4EAT
40,125 Posts
@smotimls if your 2008 didn't come with HID headlights, it's not a direct swap. Take a look at this thread:

Bobby...

['07 FSXT Member Journal] ['03 X Member Journal]

·
Registered
2008 XT auto
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
@2.5x_sleeper Thanks for the quick reply
It came originally with the HID, but after 12 years both the front cover and its seal gave up.
What I was looking to find out is if it is possible to mount the d2s lamp instead of h1 of the regular TYC headlight

·
Registered
2008 XT auto
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks Mikey,

The bright white light actually gives me better contrast in the dark.
I'll try to refurbish the headlights and keep the hid set

·
Registered
2007 FXT 4EAT
41 Posts
Hey I can contribute!

My (new to me) 07 FXT came with grossly unfocused headlights that were impossible to position the H1 bulbs properly nor aim the low & high beams correctly together (not even remotely close). It was borderline unsafe during winter with lack of usable focused output and I finally took to time to retrofit to a HID projector setup inside the stock housing. It wasn't terribly difficult, cost less than $200 in parts, and easily the best & feature of the car now. I buffed and UV sealed the lenses as well and it looks significantly better than new, w/ HID projectors instead of halogen reflectors. I kept the 9005 halogen high beams.

Attachments

·
Registered
2007 FXT 4EAT
41 Posts
FWIW, reflector style headlights are designed for the light source to be at a very precise and focused point, the filament of a the halogen when positioned properly.

The challenge with LED bulbs is the point source of light is can't be concentrated at a singular point, and it's often not at the same position vs the halogen it's replacing. The result is while the LED bulb puts out plenty of light, instead of being reflected and focused where you need to see, it's unfocused and scattered in broad directions without the light concentration for you to see as far as you should, and the unfocused bleed in all directions blinding those in front with scattered light.

That's a big part of my decision in opting for a projector retrofit vs just changing the bulb, it looks perfect now and brings me ample joy every time I turn my headlights on :D.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts