Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2008 Forester
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I was going down a road about 40ish mph and hit a pothole and swerved into a curb. It totally damaged my wheel and bent it inwards and i am not sure what could be the problem. I had already gotten the control arms fixed previously this year and i’m really hoping that’s not the problem. Here are some pictures they aren’t the best:
Wheel Tire Automotive tire Tread Synthetic rubber
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Bumper Tread Grey
Tire Wheel Car Vehicle Automotive tire

·
Super Moderator
Sahuarita, AZ 2018 Forester Limited
3,674 Posts
Does the damaged tire/wheel look like this?

Rectangle Automotive exterior Parallel Handwriting Font

If so, possibly just an alignment issue 🤞

·
Registered
2017 Forester Premium 2.5i, 6-speed manual, moon-roof, fog lights, skid-plates, winch, 2nd bedroom
288 Posts
With the top of the wheel leaning in at the top, it looks like you bent a strut or damaged the top-hat when you hit the pothole.
Pop the hood and check the top of the strut mount and also check the upper part of strut for damage or bending
Your axle looks good in your pictures.

If you don't find anything wrong with the strut, inspect the LCA to make sure nothing broke loose.

Good Luck.

Reactions: Natedog and bman400

·
Registered
2008 Forester
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
With the top of the wheel leaning in at the top, it looks like you bent a strut or damaged the top-hat when you hit the pothole.
Pop the hood and check the top of the strut mount and also check the upper part of strut for damage or bending
Your axle looks good in your pictures.

If you don't find anything wrong with the strut, inspect the LCA to make sure nothing broke loose.

Good Luck.
i couldn’t find anything with the strut unless i’m not looking correctly. but i took my tire off and this is what i found:
Wheel Tire Automotive tire Vehicle Tread

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
2001 Forester S, 4EAT
5,112 Posts
So I did something similar several years ago travelling around 45MPH, banged/glanced off the center median. No visible damage, ie tilted wheel, but only recently did I realize that the LCA was bent/damaged. Symptoms were there, but only recently it got worse. The symptoms included pulling left slightly. I just recently found the pulling got really bad, and had a front end shop check the entire front suspension for the pulling and he found the LCA was bent slightly along with all the bushings associated with both LCA were worn out. Now it tracks straight.

·
Registered
2017 Forester Premium 2.5i, 6-speed manual, moon-roof, fog lights, skid-plates, winch, 2nd bedroom
288 Posts
In the last photo you attached in #8, you can see where the tire hit the strut, burned some rubber and worn the paint off. The rubber bits on the bottom of the spring perch makes the contact look fresh. That part of the strut moves with the tire and they should not meet each other.
I am running a larger than stock tire with no tire rub marks on my struts.

In you first photo of this post, the tire appears to be leaning a lot and the stress on the end-link looks like the bottom of the tire has moved out, the lower control arm has 3 mounting points, the ball joint looks to be attached, but I can't see the other 2 points.

The way that tire leans, I would not want to drive it very fast.

Reactions: Natedog

·
Registered
2015 Forester 2.5i Limited CVT
2,133 Posts
Also, that tie rod boot and stud doesn’t look right. It should sit square. Have a mechanic look at it on a lift. You’ll want a thorough inspection.

·
Registered
2011 Subaru Forester
1,953 Posts
Basically, you hit a curb with over 3000 lbs of force. It's pretty much guaranteed you bent something. If you are lucky it's only the control arm. You may wish to consider an insurance claim.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts