Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2008 Forester X
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I found this 2008 Subaru forester. It was last registered with 56k miles last year on the odometer. Shows a clean title in california. Got the car for 150$. I assume it was a “tweaker” car because the fuel pump and assemblyman was missing. He clipped the electrical wires going to the fuel pump. The battery wires where all clipped. ( I replaced the entire harness and battery terminal clamps already ). The radio and AC controller wires where clipped. The battery is missing. What is the best approach to this vehicle? I tried throwing a battery on to see if the milage showed up or lights turned on after i fixed the battery cables but no power to the vehicle still. Should i have a key made first? Install the fuel pump and assembly first? How would u guys approach this? I already cleaned the car. So the photos of the interior are not up to date. The car is in neutral and will not go into park. Any advice is helpful. Id love to restore the car and get it running. Thanks!
Hood Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive exterior Bumper
Motor vehicle Automotive exterior Vehicle door Fixture Plant
Motor vehicle Engineering Gas Machine Auto part
Motor vehicle Automotive lighting Hood Automotive tire Light
Motor vehicle White Hood Automotive design Automotive tire

Exterior is in really good shape.
Car Automotive parking light Tire Wheel Vehicle

·
Registered
'14 Forester XT Touring
1,141 Posts
Welcome.
Not bad for $150. At that low of a price point its best to throw money at and have good car, given the engine is nice and good.
If it was me, I would make sure the engine/tranny is still working if not... drop in a used but good engine/tranny. Still not bad of a price for a whole car.

If I was to go the cheap route, I'll look for parts off junkyards or such. Even if you spend $3k on it, you still make out big time.

·
Registered
2011 Forester XT Slush box
139 Posts
Since they chopped the wiring, check for blown fuses, relays and bad grounds. Those are relatively inexpensive to replace or fix. A bad relay might explain why a working battery didn't bring the odometer back (assuming the rest of the wiring is intact).

·
Registered
2004 FXT 4EAT
1,270 Posts
SCORE!

The transmission likely won't go into park because of the lack of power. I'm with @Vogon You might have some blown fuses.

The way things are right now, you could probably sell just the Catalytic converters for 5 times what you paid for the car!

·
Registered
2006 Forester X Prem 4EAT
613 Posts
If your're still not getting power to anything, I'd suspect the large main fuse in the engine bay fuse box is either missing or blown.

·
Registered
2011 Subaru Forester
1,923 Posts
I am all for recycling but man there is lots of work there, and from the pics that is in worse shape than most I see at pick and pull yards Hopefully you have access to one or a donor car for parts. Good luck with the project.

·
Registered
2006 Forester LL Bean Edition
11 Posts
One quick way to test if you actually got power going without the key yet, is to flip on the parking break light switch on top of the steering wheel. Should turn on the tail lamps, assuming all proper fuses are there and lamps aren’t burnt out. Don’t forget to to switch it back off so you don’t drain the battery.

·
Registered
2008 Forester X
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Update: new battery. new battery harness. interior #13 fuse was blown. i now get dash lights ( besides the odometer ) and all interior lights work. got the new fuel pump and will install tomorrow. i belief it needs the key in order to show milage. right?

·
Registered
2008 Forester X
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
One quick way to test if you actually got power going without the key yet, is to flip on the parking break light switch on top of the steering wheel. Should turn on the tail lamps, assuming all proper fuses are there and lamps aren’t burnt out. Don’t forget to to switch it back off so you don’t drain the battery.
those lights all come on fine after i did the above fixes. the interior lights now come on too. everything but the odometer works without the key. do these cars usually have the odometer showing without the key in the ignition? or do they stay off until the key is turned?

·
Registered
2008 Forester X
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
it
I am all for recycling but man there is lots of work there, and from the pics that is in worse shape than most I see at pick and pull yards Hopefully you have access to one or a donor car for parts. Good luck with the project.
it does not seem that bad to me. besides the ripped apart stero/air controls area. we will see.

·
Registered
2009 FXT
317 Posts
what do u mean by "wound be a chip key"? the dealership told be based on vin it is not a chip key. but a locksmith told me all subarus are chip keys no matter what 2008+?
Sorry for the small keyboard spelling error.
It "wouldn't" be a chip key. All Foresters came with chip key by 2009. Impreza started 2008.

FXT came with chip key in 2004 or 2005 I'm pretty sure.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts