Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

61 - 75 of 75 Posts
F

·
0 Posts
Nice, I've always liked this car. The blue + gold wheels + black two-tone just works.

·
Registered
2008 Forester AE
1,726 Posts
Discussion Starter #64 (Edited)
Hella 700FF Install

I’ve been looking for the right auxiliary lights and mount since we brought the Forester home back in 2008. I wanted a clean front mount for two driving lights, without cutting into the bumper or grille.

Finally with a set of Hella 700FF lights sitting on my work bench, I spent a few weeks brainstorming a solution we could live with;

After measuring and making cardboard templates, I had a local aluminum fabricator make me a pair of brackets; They are 7 1/2" lengths or 1/4"x2 1/2" flat bar with a 90 bend in the middle. My fabricator recommended bending rather than welding two pieces together- easier to do, less chance of faliure.
Total cost was $10 in material and $10 for his expertise. :biggrin:

With the grille on; Everything fit nice and tight with the brackets coming out the lowest hole in the grille. They don't actually rest on the bottom of the grille, and there is enough room for the shortened mounting bolts on the lights without touching the Bumper.

Lights mounted and wired;

I've upgraded the Hella harnesses to 14g wires heavy enough to run 100w bulbs down the road if I want to, the Relay is triggered through the highbeam harness on the drivers side and the switch mounted into a blank switch plate in the dash beside the fog and mirror defrost buttons. For the lights to come on the highbeams have to be on- this is preferred for any lights that are going to be used on the roads, that way as soon as you see traffic you switch down, and nobody gets blinded.

Last step is to go out and aim them, my favourite spot is the local Costco parking lot, there is an entire empty flat parking lot up agains a huge brick wall. You can easily tell where you beams fall against the wall and make sure that you are filling in the gaps and adding to you highbeam coverage.

I'm very happy with the results, the 55w bulbs in there now make an excellent addition to the stock highbeam throw without being too spotty or distracting. I like the look of them out front, but you can't see the top of the lights at all over the hood.

·
Registered
2008 Forester AE
1,726 Posts
Discussion Starter #68
Still here, just busy :biggrin:

My wife brought the Forester home last night and said; "That stroller in the back sure makes a lot of noise..", I ended up taking the car out for a meeting later and there was a terrible rattling/ crunching/ something bouncing along metal noise every time I turned or accelerated/decelerated.

After tearing the back all apart looking for something loose, crawling under the backend to check the diff, pulling up all the compartments looking for what was making the noise it was almost dark and I was going crazy.. :icon_evil:

Stood up to walk away and :icon_eek: ;

There was a huge pine cone stuck on the roof between the yakima bars and the factory rails... :icon_redface:

·
Registered
2008 Forester AE
1,726 Posts
Discussion Starter #69
Lol, this is the saddest build thread ever! Which doesn't represent how much we love this car!

We headed out for a drive up to Sun Peaks yesterday, it's about an hour from home, up a great little windy well paved road;

It's off season there now, school is still in so vacationers haven't arrived yet, basically had the whole place to ourselves. Looking forward to when the kids are ready to mt bike, there are tons of great trails.
For now I'll just enjoy the weather, the road, and a great car to drive on it..

·
Registered
2008 Forester AE
1,726 Posts
Discussion Starter #70
Maintenance fun with online parts! -Or what happens when your local dealership bails and sells Smart cars instead of Subarus.
:crying:

Ordered up the supplies I needed and dug into the Forester yesterday afternoon.

Oil change - 10 min, love my Fumoto

Air Filter - hmm, that sucks, there's no way that is going in there. Part number 16546AA10A - SH Forester, on the right.

Alt Belt - off no sweat, new one matches and looks good.

a/c Belt - uh-oh, Mine says 4PK855, new one says 4PK895.. yep, nope. Way too big, adjuster at max and it's still fall off loose.
Part number 73323AC000 SF/SG 98-06.

So I put my old a/c belt back on and bolt everything back up.

Bummer, my cost on these two is the same as shipping them back for a return.

Maybe I'll do a random parking lot drop off on an SF(a/c) and a SH (air filter)..

·
Registered
2008 Forester AE
1,726 Posts
Discussion Starter #71
Had my first P0442 code this morning, my wife takes the Forester to work and I had it started and warming up for her.
She came back in to say the cruise was flashing and the check engine was on. I drove it around the cul-de-sac, then checked the scanguage.
P0442, cleared it and we'll see if it comes back.

First day of -10c weather today..

·
Registered
2008 Forester AE
1,726 Posts
Discussion Starter #73
Some lowlife kicked in our front door at the house yesterday afternoon.
Thankfully between our dog and the alarm going off they didn't have much time to look around.

They did manage to run off with my set of keys for the Forester.

So she is boxed in, with a club, in the garage, until the dealership can get a new key/fob and get them reprogrammed.

·
Registered
2008 Forester AE
1,726 Posts
Discussion Starter #74
Long time no update... Daisy just keeps going.

Actually not - I got the call yesterday from my wife - she's stuck at our son's school with a non starting foz.
It was the first day of cold -15c weather of the year, and the battery was OEM; almost 9 years now..
So I went with a CT Eliminator 35; CCA: 640 - CA: 785 - RC: 95 - WARR 4YR

Starts like mad now.. :biggrin:

·
Registered
2008 Forester AE
1,726 Posts
Discussion Starter #75
Not too much to report this year, we replaced the pads and rotors in Sept,
Then last week we replaced the 10 year old Michelin X-Ice2

Next up Blizzak WS80;

All set for another year of awesome-ness.

61 - 75 of 75 Posts